Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Krylon Fusion

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Krylon Fusion

Ok, I'm going to redo my trim pieces over the next few days and decided I want to paint up the back seat panels, hatch speaker panels, a-pillars and floor/door trim pieces in black.

Would Krylon Fusion hold up well? I am going to sand everything down to be perfectly smooth (no pebble grain left this time!). Will I need to use any type of paint adherant, or will it adhere just fine? What about wetsanding or clearcoating for a high gloss finish? I want it to have a very glossy, shiny black finish. I'm willing to spend some time for the prep and wetsanding as long as the finished product looks awesome. Post up any tips/advice you have on how to approach this. Thanks

**DO NOT TELL ME NOT TO PAINT MY INTERIOR, I DID NOT ASK FOR OPINIONS AND THEY ARE NOT WANTED IN THIS THREAD**
Old 06-21-2006, 03:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 3 types of krylon fusion (flat, satin and glossy). From what you are said, you want the high gloss. After you wetsand the plastics to a smooth surface, clean with denatured alcohol. I would go with 3 coats of glossy just in case you happen to scratch the plastic sometime in the future. If you properly apply the 3 coats and let them dry inbetween coats, you should not need any clear.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:50 AM
TECH Regular

Like Kewl Blades said, Fusion adheres perfectly without adhesion promoter. The isopropel alcohol is also a good idea. You definitely won't need clear coat with high-gloss Fusion.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:51 AM
Launching!

i painted the exterior fender flares on a jeep with (satin?) black fusion... a year of rock crawling later and they still look fine... obviously excluding places where the jeep was run into rocks and things... but.. i'm pretty surprised that it's held up that well on somethign that sees so much abuse... i imagine it'd hold up even better in the inside of a car...
Old 06-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

its good stuff, but I wished I would have known that there was a satin version...
Old 06-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Teching In

That stuff can get sticky in heated conditions and adhere to other surfaces, thus removing the layers of Krylon and adding it to another panel/door/clothing article/etc. I'd avoid painting interior with spray cans if you are able. But if you must, Krylon Fusion will stick to more surfaces than most spray paint.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, I'll be picking me up a few cans today, thanks guys!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dethred
That stuff can get sticky in heated conditions and adhere to other surfaces, thus removing the layers of Krylon and adding it to another panel/door/clothing article/etc. I'd avoid painting interior with spray cans if you are able. But if you must, Krylon Fusion will stick to more surfaces than most spray paint.
Krylon doesn't get sticky after sitting in direct sunlight, windows closed, for an entire day. I know from personal experience--my leather seats were practically on fire but no paint was sticky.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pics when you're done, I'd like to see how it turns out. A painted interior sounds nice, but I've always been worried about scratches.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by contraststriker
Krylon doesn't get sticky after sitting in direct sunlight, windows closed, for an entire day. I know from personal experience--my leather seats were practically on fire but no paint was sticky.

I've had tons of bad experience with it. Anything that isn't completely hard will cause it to become sticky. Not a gooey type of sticky, but it will definitely come off on other painted parts or unpainted parts if it gets hot. I can try and scrounge up the photo proof if you want. This was with tons of prepping and decent results... aside from it pulling off.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dethred
I've had tons of bad experience with it. Anything that isn't completely hard will cause it to become sticky. Not a gooey type of sticky, but it will definitely come off on other painted parts or unpainted parts if it gets hot. I can try and scrounge up the photo proof if you want. This was with tons of prepping and decent results... aside from it pulling off.
I prepped with only isopropel alcohol and put a single coat of Fusion on, I've never had this problem...
Old 06-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Teching In

i have interior parts painted with fusion and have had no probs. are you sure your not talking about regular spray paint? my bro has a spoiler on his stealth painted with the fusion and that thing looks great after 2 years of being pounded by the sun
Old 06-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

My door pulls are painted in duplicolor vinal/leather black, the leather insert its painted in teh same paint, only white, and the rest is fusioned black. The blacks are identical, but the duplicolor gets LESS sticky than the stock peices with no paint on them in this hot humid weather.

Quick Reply: Krylon Fusion