Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

cleaning the motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cleaning the motor

what are some good products to clean the motor with?
Old 06-21-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used GUNK foamy engine bright then CD2 engine detailer spray came out like new
Old 06-21-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

I use a handheld steam cleaner, safe for almost everything and no water involved. They're like 30-40 bucks a Bed Bath and Beyond, WalMart or any other retail store. I have the Shark Steamer.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used simple green , but you have to dilute it and wipe it off quick or it does eat ****, although it did a good job. Check out the appearance hall of fame sticky, there is a really long thread about cleaning the LSx engine bays
Old 06-21-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/159036-proper-cleaning-lsx-engine-bay.html

-Mike
Old 06-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Hey man I used that Black Magic Engine detailer and degreaser all in one and I have to say it didn't turn out that bad I will possibly have to post some pics for you but I couldn't find the CD2 engine detailer anywhere i don't think they sell it anymore so i bought this on a hunch and......it works pretty well got some pretty decent compliments at the local carshow about how clean in general the engine bay turned out and my buddy who helped me wash the engine said he definetly noticed a difference before and after.....Give it a try and follow the directions don't think you will be dissapointed. Oh and I didn't use anything else just that.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LSWon00
I use a handheld steam cleaner, safe for almost everything and no water involved. They're like 30-40 bucks a Bed Bath and Beyond, WalMart or any other retail store. I have the Shark Steamer.
I read recently to NOT use a steamer...the steam gets into the connectors easily, whereas low streaming water is 99% or so safe..just thought I would pass this on.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ShermzT/A
Hey man I used that Black Magic Engine detailer and degreaser all in one and I have to say it didn't turn out that bad I will possibly have to post some pics for you but I couldn't find the CD2 engine detailer anywhere i don't think they sell it anymore so i bought this on a hunch and......it works pretty well got some pretty decent compliments at the local carshow about how clean in general the engine bay turned out and my buddy who helped me wash the engine said he definetly noticed a difference before and after.....Give it a try and follow the directions don't think you will be dissapointed. Oh and I didn't use anything else just that.

post pics please
Old 06-21-2006, 06:09 PM

I always use simple green and hose it off really well. No pressure on the water, just flow.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:10 PM

You can use a small toilet type brush to get the tough stuff.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
I read recently to NOT use a steamer...the steam gets into the connectors easily, whereas low streaming water is 99% or so safe..just thought I would pass this on.
Yeah thats why I stated for most everywhere. Its basic common sense where to apply the steam at. Just like water. I wax my engine bay so spraying it with water odesn't work for me since I have to then get all the water spots off. With the steam I can toutch up the areas that need cleaning without the mess of water. Water is OK on the inital cleaning but after that I prefer not to use it after that. But you make a good point, be wise where you use steam if you use it.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
post pics please
Hey man. Check out my thread from last year that I started.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/295708-cleaned-engine-bay-finally.html

It contains a before and after pic.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by my98ws6
Hey man. Check out my thread from last year that I started.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295708

It contains a before and after pic.

wow man looks good. what did you use to clean it?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

wow man looks good. what did you use to clean it?

He used the Gunk Foamy Engine Brite and CD2 detailer. Only thing is, like i stated earlier i can't find anyone besides online when I google it, who sells the CD2 detailer because i wanted that look also mine did not come out that nice really i have to say but that is why i was hunting so hard for the CD2 engine detailer. If you can find that your golden...use it and I am sure you will be happy as anything with the results.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

He used the Gunk Foamy Engine Brite and CD2 detailer. Only thing is, like i stated earlier i can't find anyone besides online when I google it, who sells the CD2 detailer because i wanted that look also mine did not come out that nice really i have to say but that is why i was hunting so hard for the CD2 engine detailer. If you can find that your golden...use it and I am sure you will be happy as anything with the results.

where can i buy the Gunk Engine Brite at? Autozone, Pep Boys? is that CD2 like a gel, but w/o residue that makes it like nice?

my motor is not too dirty, but bugs me enough to get under my skin. has a little road grime and dirt to it nothing major. just do not want to **** anything up washing it.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

where can i buy the Gunk Engine Brite at? Autozone, Pep Boys? is that CD2 like a gel, but w/o residue that makes it like nice?

my motor is not too dirty, but bugs me enough to get under my skin. has a little road grime and dirt to it nothing major. just do not want to **** anything up washing it.

yes the gunk engine bright foam you can get at either of those locations and no the CD2 isn't a gel, i guess it is like a foam that you just cover everything minus big electrical stuff and it is not greasy at all it stays nice and shiny black and stuff but doesn't stay greasy to hold the dirt or dust that might collect.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes the gunk engine bright foam you can get at either of those locations and no the CD2 isn't a gel, i guess it is like a foam that you just cover everything minus big electrical stuff and it is not greasy at all it stays nice and shiny black and stuff but doesn't stay greasy to hold the dirt or dust that might collect.

thanks for the info will have to get me some of that and detail my motor
Old 06-22-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just go to the do it yourself carwash, I spray the engine bay down with the soap and water. Then lower the hood, wash the rest of the car, open the hood and rinse the engine off. By the time I get home, everything is dry.
People say not to do this, but I have been doing this for 6 years on my 00 SS and 2 years on my 01 Z06 with not a single problem.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blown 346
I just go to the do it yourself carwash, I spray the engine bay down with the soap and water. Then lower the hood, wash the rest of the car, open the hood and rinse the engine off. By the time I get home, everything is dry.
People say not to do this, but I have been doing this for 6 years on my 00 SS and 2 years on my 01 Z06 with not a single problem.
but did you do it when the motor was at operating temp or cold?
Old 06-23-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blown 346

So wait, you use one of those high pressure wash hoses on your engine bay? Always seems that everybody thinks that is a bad idea. Are you doing something special or are you just spraying it any and everywhere?

Quick Reply: cleaning the motor