Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Center Mount Exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center Mount Exhaust??

Is this product still available anywhere? Also, does it only work with a certain catback or is it universal with a ll cat-backs. Because I really want CME for my Camaro.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

good luck
Old 06-28-2006, 02:41 AM
TECH Addict

A little searching would turn up all the answers for you.

But I guess I'll give them to you anyways:

-The CME is no longer produced by SLP. They cleared all of their stock out and most vendors are now out of it too. Every now and then someone will claim that they've found a little hole-in-the-wall place that still has some, but no one will ever say where (obviously). The best place to find it is to look for it used. Check F-body forum For Sale sections and Ebay. Expect to pay more than normal for it because LOTS of people want it now. To get a setup, you will either have to find someone willing to sell it to you that no one else knows about, OR be willing to pay more than everyone else for it. As explained before, some people have pretty deep pockets and are willing to drop some serious coin on it, so just be on the lookout.

-The valences are the easier part to find lately. There's a guy on here selling a handful of them for $300 each, they sometimes pop up on Ebay, and a couple people who only have the valence sometimes give up hope on finding the tip and sell their valence. The hard part to find is the tip itself. I know of a couple guys who have extra ones or who have stockpiled several of them, but they're all unwilling to sell the extras and have stated that if they ever did consider it, the buyer would get completely raped on the price.

-It will work with any catback, but will have to be custom-done by an exhaust shop. You can either buy the two 90-degree bends from SLP to make it work or have a shop make them for you. You just need a dual exit catback that can have the bends welded onto them that will run the piping into the sides of the tip.

And finally, let me just say that if you're only casually looking for a CME setup here and there, you aren't going to be the one to find it. You have to be absolutely tenacious in your search and truly be looking for it. To find the brand new setup that I bought off a guy, I searched here, Ebay, LS2.com, LS1.com, CamaroZ28.com, Z28.com, 3 local F-body boards, and a couple Texas F-body boards several times a day each. I did it so that if a setup popped up, I'd be the first to find it and wouldn't get beat to the punch by one of the many other people looking to buy it. Off the top of my head, I can think of 6 other people on this board alone that are searching high and low for it.

Good luck.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:25 AM
TECH Regular

Duff on this board is selling a CME kit, should still be in the for sale section.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sold last night. . . .
Old 06-28-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

good thing i got in on the SLP deal when I did... im going to have to get the stainless tips from the guy on ebay though.. they didnt have any tips left when i tried to get some., plus I think the stainless tips look better... I hated that thick lip on SLP's
Old 06-28-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
plus I think the stainless tips look better... I hated that thick lip on SLP's
In my opinion, as well as most others', that thicker lip is what makes people want the CME to begin with. It can be polished and is the main part that makes the CME stand out.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was lucky i paid only $200shipped for my Tips BRAND NEW from a guy on Canada, and i got my valence for free from a buddy who took it off is 02 SS and just gave it to me, so i got pretty lucky. I would have to say i agree with Scotty-Z just look high and low, you might be able to find it..Good Luck!!
Old 06-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Duffster
Sold last night. . . .
man that guy who got it was a lucky SoB
Old 06-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

I bought the valance from SLP and had an exhaust shop build the rest with a Magnaflow muffler. Here is how it turned out:
Attached Thumbnails Center Mount Exhaust??-camaro-z28-023-small-.jpg  
Old 06-28-2006, 12:20 PM

cant say that i like the look although it does look good
Old 06-28-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes do what scotty z tells you, and be ready to pay a premium. i searched every forum i know for about 2 weeks, then one day at 4 am i tried ebay and there was my tip. i paid 400.00 for the tip, but only 100 for the valence. so i paid wayyy over list for that tip/ however, its THE nicest exhaust style you will ever spend money on.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

hey Bowtie guy... i think everyone is talking about the SS rear valance.. you have the quad tip version.. here is a picture of the one everyone wants
Attached Thumbnails Center Mount Exhaust??-blue-camaro.jpg  
Old 06-28-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
yes do what scotty z tells you, and be ready to pay a premium. i searched every forum i know for about 2 weeks, then one day at 4 am i tried ebay and there was my tip. i paid 400.00 for the tip, but only 100 for the valence. so i paid wayyy over list for that tip/ however, its THE nicest exhaust style you will ever spend money on.

Damn! I only paid $74.00 for the CME tip brand new from SLP Engineering back in 2003 and $127 for the valance. I knew I should have bought a couple more of the tips back then. Where is that time traveling machine at?

I did however check about buying another tip in 2004 to have it chrome plated, but SLP raised their price from $74 to $274. They stated the part was now "Out of Production" and would be a special order item. WTF So I passed on getting another tip but it looks like I could have still made out OK even if I would have paid the $274. The CME is quickly getting as bad a the Export tail lights. Sheesh!

Good Luck on your search for CME parts guys, just don't settle for the ugly 4 outlet setup with it's flaired out valance pieces.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS LS1
The CME is quickly getting as bad a the Export tail lights. Sheesh!
Got the exports and half the CME..just need to find or have some tipes made I like for it. It seems there's a thread a day now on CME's this last week or two.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GETGONE
Got the exports and half the CME..just need to find or have some tipes made I like for it. It seems there's a thread a day now on CME's this last week or two.
Yes indeed. Things tend to go in spurts around here seemingly.

My CME just got here today and it looks great. I polished up the lip on the tip and I'll have some finished pics of it up as soon as I get the valence painted and my hanger brackets get in from SLP.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

They CME's are extremely hard to find. I was one of the guys that found a guy that bought all them from GM when they closed the St. Threse(sp) plant in Canada. In about two days I was able to sell all of them for $300 a peice. The guy does have more so if you want one let me know.
This is just for the valance, not the tips but the guy that sold me the valances said he know's where to get the tips so we'll see.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
They CME's are extremely hard to find. I was one of the guys that found a guy that bought all them from GM when they closed the St. Threse(sp) plant in Canada. In about two days I was able to sell all of them for $300 a peice. The guy does have more so if you want one let me know.
This is just for the valance, not the tips but the guy that sold me the valances said he know's where to get the tips so we'll see.
That sonofabitch is holding out on us all for the tips...

But seriously, finding a stockpile of tips or a place that still has a decent amount would be a hell of a find.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:53 AM
11 Second Club

I feel special.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Stangkilr
I feel special.
Me too. I'm now part of the "My Car has CME" club.

Quick Reply: Center Mount Exhaust??