Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

t-tops anyone tint them

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t-tops anyone tint them

has anyone just put 5% tint on there t-tops, i dont have shades and dont want to spend 50 bucks for new ones. and its over a 100 here everyday and when i get out of work the leather is hot. im getting the sides 5% tint and wondering if it would work very well

thanks
Old 07-30-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

hey buddy i have mine 5%.....DO IT......

thats all ima say...it'll still be hot but it does help a bit and darkens the car at night,,,makes ya feel stealth!

erik
Old 07-30-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

and dont get cheap ****....get $$$ stuff, so it doesnt turn purple in a year under the sun...im from FLA i know..
erik
Old 07-30-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also have 5% on my t-tops. IIRC, it was $25 per top, so it works out even with the price for shades. I like it because it helps a lot with keeping the leather cool and you don't have to deal with the shades. Plus it looks cleaner too.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

ttop shades work WONDERS! lol

you'll spend more on tint then you will on the shades...EBAY is your friend
Old 07-31-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have 5% on everywhere and love it. and i have some shades if youd want to buy them.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:34 AM
Launching!

I guess nobody else has seen what happens in the south when you put window tint on tinted t-tops. Glass get way to hot and shatters when left in the sun for an extended period of time. Seen it twice in person already. I say get the shades just to be safe.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:16 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RUNINHOT
I guess nobody else has seen what happens in the south when you put window tint on tinted t-tops. Glass get way to hot and shatters when left in the sun for an extended period of time. Seen it twice in person already. I say get the shades just to be safe.
Can anyone back up what this guy is saying??
Old 07-31-2006, 04:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

i call bs

it gets up to 110 here and maybe higher, i leave my car out all day at work, and its in the sun before work
so i dont think this is accurate
Old 07-31-2006, 04:55 AM
TECH Resident

your guys' t tops didnt come tinted from the factory? or is it just not dark enough for u guys? personally i think mine are plenty dark.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I tinted over the stock tint on my T-Tops, I had 20% put on them. you cant see in at night at all. During the day they arent blacked out, but itdoes cut down the sun by 50% if not more.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:43 AM
Launching!

i was thinking of doing mirror tint in mine. . i though it would be nice to look up and see your self
Old 07-31-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i would have never thought of that...
Old 07-31-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by too fast
Can anyone back up what this guy is saying??
Ive heard the statement before but have never seen or heard of anyone substantiating it

It woukld follow that the side windows..if tinted would have the same problem and Ive never heard of a side window shattering because of tint

The concept goes somthing like this..the extra tint helps the glass to hold onto more heat thereby making it crack
Old 07-31-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tbird31
ttop shades work WONDERS! lol

you'll spend more on tint then you will on the shades...EBAY is your friend
The only problem with shades is that you need to hassel with them whenever you take your top of or on....small problem..but still an extra setp
Old 07-31-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

I dunno...they are already slightly tinted from the factory. I love the idea of shades because I can completely black out the tops if I want...yet still take the shades off for those days I want some sunshine.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RUNINHOT
yeah i can back up what he said. we tint windows at my work. and for cars it's usually fine to tint windows but we also tint buildings/houses. on houses or anything with duel pain glass you can't tint with black film. you have to use a metallic based film like the platinum or bronze because the black absorbs too much light/generates a lot of heat and can crack the glass...we had a lady's benz windshield spider crack all the way up it from just 35% tint on the windshield....that was the first time i've ever had it happen on a car. i can imagine in the blistering sun in any of those southern states it could happen pretty easily. good thing is the glue on the tint holds everything together when it blows

however i have tinted t-tops at my work but never had a problem...then again michigan isn't nearly as hot or sunny...just humid as a mother effer!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

i got mine tinted 0% they work great and keep the leather cool. all my other windows are 15%. i say go for it! and i can still see out of them perfectly fine if you are wondering
Old 07-31-2006, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
yeah i can back up what he said. we tint windows at my work. and for cars it's usually fine to tint windows but we also tint buildings/houses. on houses or anything with duel pain glass you can't tint with black film. you have to use a metallic based film like the platinum or bronze because the black absorbs too much light/generates a lot of heat and can crack the glass...we had a lady's benz windshield spider crack all the way up it from just 35% tint on the windshield....that was the first time i've ever had it happen on a car. i can imagine in the blistering sun in any of those southern states it could happen pretty easily. good thing is the glue on the tint holds everything together when it blows

however i have tinted t-tops at my work but never had a problem...then again michigan isn't nearly as hot or sunny...just humid as a mother effer!!!
Thank you backing it up.
The tinted glass on the t-tops absorbs the heat. Tint that is applied at a shop is designed to reflect the heat. With the two together it only reflects light back into the glass, double the heat source. But then again its your car, do whatever you want to it. Just letting you know what COULD happen.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SixReasons
i was thinking of doing mirror tint in mine. . i though it would be nice to look up and see your self
Or...to look down your female passenger's shirt?

Quick Reply: t-tops anyone tint them