Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

where to buy perforated leather for door panels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default where to buy perforated leather for door panels?

Looking at possibly doing my door panels but i really want it perforated so it looks like it door now, just color change. Anyone know where i can get this? Also, would it be possible to embroider over it? Thanks!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 08-03-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not all that sure that the door panels are really leather - might just be perforated vinyl - just as the seats are not entirely made of leather - only the actual seating surfaces, the sides/back/etc. are made from vinyl.

At any rate you can find either at you local Auto Upholstery Shop. They will have books there for you to go thru with everything that is available to pick style and color...

You will find that leather is very expensive - when last I worked at an auto upholstery shop during college in the very early 80's - leather was 25 cents/sq. in. That was 26 years ago - damn, now I'm really depressed!

-Jay-
Old 08-03-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I got my perforated "leather" (vinyl) from the local fabric store.

To be honest, I would never attempt that project again. Huge PITA!
Old 08-03-2006, 12:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

the door panel project itself, or using perforated?

Old 08-03-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

The project! I did the passenger side first, and I couldn't get the heat stakes that hold the panel onto the plastic to re-melt properly and therefore re-attach. So I had to rig it.

The drivers side I didn't even remove the panel from the plastic. I cut me a piece to size and slipped it under/between the plastic and the panel, and cut notches around the heat stake posts, and just tucked it under the lip all the way around. Huge PITA, but overall it worked better.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

hmmm yea, the only thing i odnt like about the project is the melted tabs... cant you use screws instead?

Old 08-03-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only reason I didn't mention a fabric store is that generally the material they sell is not of the industrial/HD grade that is needed in cars - allthough on a door panel it would probably be OK as they never really see any wear.

I think he is referring to how difficult it is to remove/replace the vynil inserts on the door panels. The vinyl covers a seperate piece that is fastened to the main door panel with integral studs that are melted over on the back side once the panel is installed. To remove you must cut off the melted end of each stud so they will pass back thru the holes in the main door panel - being careful not to cut too short or they will not protrude thru enough on the re-install to enable you to remelt them over to hold the panel in.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, what 1QUIKWS6 is referring too is heat stake posts.

You can use screws for the door handle part, because it just so happens that the heat stake posts are hollow, and therefore once you cut off the tops to remove the door handle from the rest of the door, you can use a screw for re-attachment. This is what I did as well.

However the ~20 other heat stakes that hold the actual vinyl panel onto the door panel are thin plastic bars, so there is no possible way to use a screw. These you either must re-melt into place (which many people have done quite successfully...), try and use some adhesive (I tried JB weld after I couldn't re-melt... but couldn't get a reliable bond)... or RIG IT!!

My "rigging method" of choice was a wire tie at each heat stake post. It looks like crap from the back side, but who's gonna know but me??
Old 08-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I used LockTite Plastic Epoxy.
Worked perfectly.
Its available at Home Depot.
Mix it up, put a blob on each stake, put some stuff on the panel to hold everything in place and apply light pressure, come back 10min later (or longer).

Here is the write-up I followed:
http://www.lastofthebreed.com/Instal.../DoorPanel.htm

Quick Reply: where to buy perforated leather for door panels?