Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Why do people do rear seat deletes???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that they take out the back seat so they can make believe its a race car to their buds. Oh yeah and that also means that they can't give their mom or fat chicks rides..
Old 11-12-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my rear seat delete for less weight and more space to put things. I didnt do it for looks even though it looks better imo w/o the them. Though I did stitch the carpet to close the holes.
And I hate giving rides I consider my car a 2 seater. When i get my Forzas and harness bar no ones bumming rides back there.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Try 5. It is a plastic frame with foam and outer material.
Going off this site's own weight list

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=weight+list

it says it comes in at 19 lbs, with the seat belts being around 9 lbs. Guess it's not that big a loss. It sure felt heavier when I was trying to wrestle it back in position after replacing my carpet.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:26 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackrat
It sure felt heavier when I was trying to wrestle it back in position after replacing my carpet.
Someone needs a gym membership for Christmas...

Just kidding ! Doing stuff by yourself sucks and definetly makes it feel harder than it is .
Old 11-14-2006, 03:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blackrat
Going off this site's own weight list

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=weight+list

it says it comes in at 19 lbs, with the seat belts being around 9 lbs. Guess it's not that big a loss. It sure felt heavier when I was trying to wrestle it back in position after replacing my carpet.
Sounds about right. I recently took mine out to do some work back there and they didn't weigh much at all.........heaviest part was the one piece seat back and even that wasn't all that much at all........
Old 12-05-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Personally I have taken the seats out of my car but always put them back in after a bit. I am always thinking about what takes away from it's stock appearance. I dont like big cosmetic mods.....so that being said, I like to perserve my stuff too. So I have a big CD case, and all kinds of odds and ends stuff that I am always putting in the back seat, I always feel like it is going to mess up the leather, so i fold the seat down, works great but any real wieght on it and the leather just rubs on itself, so then I get up set and put the seat up. Etc over and over again, it's a vicious cycle. Now my firend took his out because some doofus in the back seat spilled beer so he took them out right away and cleaned them and put them away in a spot where they won't get messed up,faded, or torn. He hasn't put them back in personally when we go ride somewhere it's short distance and if there is three people I'll sit in the back no big deal, and no reason to complain it's all in good fun and enjoying some F-bodies.....now if we could only figure out how to pack a bunch of hard bodies in the back of it. I figure at least four or five 100lbrs about 5 5 a piece...no problem and taking the seats out makes more room! No i'm just kidding but it sounded good right? Oh in Irony does anyone know where I can get some factory front seat covers used or cheaper than what GM charges? Allah Ackbar!
Old 12-07-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like the idea of deleting the rear seats. I plan on doing this not for weight purposes but because:

1. So moochers don't try to ride with you and so I would have a reason not to take the SS on weekend trips and to parties and what-not. It's a good excuse and helps keep some miles off your precious f-body.

Example:
It's easier to say "we can't take my car cause it only holds two", rather than saying "let's take your POS car because I don't want a lot of miles on my SS".

2. It Makes your car seam more like a racecar with only two seats or like a James Bond car with the hidden storage space. lol

3. I could store a big flashlight, mini toolset, duster, detailing stuff, & etc. back there and it's all cleanly contained in the hidden storage space.

Also, I'm a senior in high school & soon to be in college, and my friends and I ride around a lot, so this make all the reasons much more appealing to me.

-Nick
Old 12-07-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

I do it so that I do not have to give more than one person a ride somewhere just to hear them complain how tight it is back there
Old 12-07-2006, 11:49 PM
liqour enthusiest

i took mine out because i have a cage in my car. cant really fit aperson back there. if i do it makes it a lot easier for them to fit without the seats.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man...I cant believe so many people dont like a rear seat delete box...

First of all..to those who keep saying "Why not just put **** on the seats...or All that stuff will fit right on the seats"... True. But have you ever had to do a panic stop? Or how about if you feel like a bit of spirited driving and take some corners? That **** doesnt stay put. Ide rather be able to lay it neatly into an enclosed area, and if I have to stop fast, or turn quick, or god forbid if I wreck, I wont have huge maglights or sharp tools flying around inside the car. Im not talking a huge truck box sized thing..just something that allows you to make it look nice, and still have some storage.

If anyone has ever been in a wreck with a bunch of stuff laying around, you will know what i mean. Anything laying around becomes a projectile. Its this reason that in my jeep, where I keep alot of my offroading tools and spare parts, everything is tied down. Even if I roll...nothing is moving. Some call me ****...but Ive been in a fairly high speed roll before. I think I got injured more from flying crap inside the car, than from the actual roll. Got knocked unconscious from a rubber maid container full of tools, and actually had cuts from the stuff falling out of the container and all over me.

Second of all...and this is just something I thought about.. Who the heck ACTUALLY takes a third or forth person along in the back seat??? Maybe a kid...but holy crap... Even with seats, no one wants to ride in the back seat of my car. Its just not fit for full sized humans. Rear seats should have been an option on F-bodys if you ask me. GM could have come up with some nice panels to make the rear carpet lay flat, and look nice. Want rear seats? Order them up, GM doesnt install the panels, installs seats instead, viola.

I personaly am going to build a box once I decide on carpet color and what I want to do with it. Im thinking about putting my sub and amps in one side, and a Carputer in the other side. Still have some storage for the flashlight and random tools.

Ok... end rear seat delete rant.

Justin

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 12-13-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not everyone has first hand experience with stuff flying around and hitting them in the head. I'm sure they would want an enclosed storage area if they knew better. I think the factory rear hinged panel over the rear well would work OK for most things. What do you think? Would heavy tools break through it or bend it in a rollover or wreck?

Even if you already have a hinged lid on the rear seat storage compartments you would be good to get some latches on them just so it stays closed.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree that unless you latch it, it could still fly out. However atleast it would have something to deflect it. And it would keep things in place during a panic stop. I think rollovers in F-bodys might be less common than lifted jeeps. haha. Wouldnt be too hard to put a simple latch on there tho.

Justin
Old 12-13-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

I did the rear seat delete for a couple reasons. One nobody ever rides back there so there's absolutly no point in having a back seat. Two I wanted to install my stereo but I didn't want it in the rear hatch because I wasn't willing to give up my TTop holders, and three I wanted something that was a little different.

You can hate on it all you want but I like it and that's all that matters to me.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
If anyone has ever been in a wreck with a bunch of stuff laying around, you will know what i mean. Anything laying around becomes a projectile.

Second of all...and this is just something I thought about.. Who the heck ACTUALLY takes a third or forth person along in the back seat??? Maybe a kid...but holy crap...

Justin
Haha all good and respectable points, but you have to remember each one of us has a different situation. We're not all worried about tools hitting our heads during a roll or things crashing around in the back seat. Besides, isn't that what the trunk/hatch area is for???

Also, i am a junior in college, who loves to go out partying and drinking with the girls/guys just about every night, during breaks. We all live in the general area (in the middle of nowhere) and love to go out places (that are all close to an hour away). We each take turns driving to save gas/hassle. It's fun to cruise with the group. Hell, I've had 5 people stuffed in my car one time, with 2 guys in the back (each close to 250 lbs) and a girl between them. Yes, it was cramped, but for God's sake, it's not like they were taking a trip from hell during the ride. Yea, I agree there's not much space, but I've taken vacations in the back seat for hours on end. I'm not going to cry like a sissy baby because I cant fit and neither does anyone else that rides in the back. It's exciting to be in a car that has around 350 HP & 350 ft/lbs TQ, and that should override being squished in the back seat. All my buddies love riding in my TA and all the girls beg to get back in it. Besides, it makes for great stories down the road when you tell your children/grandchildren. Off on a tangent, you all make it sound like you're riding in a Bentley or something. Yes, I love my car to DEATH too, but you only live once. People spill ****, leather tears, and panels scrape, but in the end, it can all be easily and cheaply replaced and it's something to laugh about later on in life. When I rode around in my '78 during senior year of high school, I did the same thing. If, instead, I was all **** about stretching the fabric or scraping the backs of the seats, or what-not, it would've been a much more of an uneventful year. I'm sorry, but I'm still young and I'd like to live my life to the fullest every chance I get. If me and a few other people want to go somewhere and party, I'm not going to be the pessimist and say, "Oh sorry everyone. I'm not letting anyone ride in the back because I don't want to ruin the finish." That sounds a little arrogant and conceited to me... Now, I'm not saying I'm a low-life or anything because I let people jump in the back. I'm just saying I like to actually use the space behind the front seats. You all have seen my signature pic, and some of you have gave me gracious compliments on how nice my car looks. I do the same thing to the inside, and it has a show-finish (inside and out) upon every arrival to a party or a gathering or whatever.

Everyone has different opinions. Some people like the Rear Seat Delete because it hides the driveshaft lump and utilizes the space a bit more. I've seen others who've installed subs and amps in the enclosure, as well. It also gives a much cleaner look than having an ugly lump and bare carpeting, leading to a near-vertical wall of nothing. Personally, I like the rear-seat delete because of all those reasons. I also like to use my rear seats so people can "bum" rides off of me. That's known as being considerate. It's not all about drag racing/highway sprinting for everyone, you know.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow, that was unecessary.
I'm glad you got that off your chest, though.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

JasonWW has as much right to say what he says as everyone else here. He wasnt a jerk about it... in fact, I agree with some of the stuff he said.

I will be a sissy and say that I would never want to ride in the back. Im 6'4 240...it just aint happening. haha. When I said that no one wants to ride in my back seat, i didnt mean that I dont like to give rides, or that girls/guys dont like to ride in my car. I literally meant that no one WANTS to ride back there. haha. Trust me...since I put this motor and trans in my car, I have had to give rides to almost everyone I know. But its one at a time. Ill ask...do you want to go along..you have to sit in the back. One peek and they say they will wait.

And yes...not everyone will have tools laying around in the back of their car. And yes again...thats what the trunk is for. But the "trunk" is only a couple feet from the back seats, and its an open area too. I was just trying to put alittle bit of reasoning behind wanting to put things in an enclosed area instead of on top of the seats like a couple were saying.

Its DEFINETLY your choice what you do with your car. Ill be the last person to tell someone what they are doing is wrong or stupid. Even the import guys... Yeah Ill chuckle, but hey...its THEIR car. But the whole argument about it saving weight and all that.. Ok..maybe it does. But if its a street car, does it REALLY matter??? If you are going to strip the thing down to be a track car only...then maybe. If you have your rear seats pulled, and I have a nifty delete box that I built in place of the rear seats...are you going to beat me in a race on that aspect alone??? No. Not everyone modifies their car to gear it towards street racing or track runs. Some want an all around car they can be happy with. So they do what they want to accomplish this. As long as they do, then nothing on their car is "wrong"...and I wont be there telling them it is. Not that thats happening here...just sort of fell in place with what I was saying.

Justin
Old 12-13-2006, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

im doing it so my dvd "brain" and my amp have a place to hide other than just on my rear deck like i have them now
Old 12-13-2006, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Back seats in a F-body are kinda like the single room in your house that you don't use. You just can't leave it empty, for some reason it has to have furniture, even if it is not used.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Launching!

this is a rice burner mod
Old 12-13-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone sell a clean delete kit, or do you have to make them yourself? Ive been wanting to remove mine.

Quick Reply: Why do people do rear seat deletes???