Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First claybar/wax attempt- white 99' z28

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default First claybar/wax attempt- white 99' z28

I did my first claybar and waxing session ever. Here's what I did, I am pleased with the results. The rear bumper area was a MESS! Took a bit to get 98% of the crap out.

1. Washed the car thoroughly with regular car wash soap
2. Dried the vehicle with the absorber chamois
3. Claybar'd the vehicle with Meguiar's clay bar and quick detailer
4. Waxed the vehicle with Meguiar's paste wax

The finish came out soooooo smooth. While claybar'ing you could feel the contaminants in the paint. I am glad I spent some cash and took 3-4 hours out of my day off to do this. Enjoy!

Last edited by White.Lightning; 04-28-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lookin good, seems like it was worth the time and work. Nice car!
Old 09-21-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

that looks real clean... you might want to paint the area black behind your billet grille

but it's damn clean
Old 09-21-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do u have any before or durring pics...id like to claybar my hawk, get everything a lil smoothers, get some crap off.... but im afraid i might screw somethin up, are there any ways to screw up the paint or anything, any ways to f anything up...i dont know the exact process on how to do it, but then again ive just been afraid of scratchin somethin up...

edit* i forgot to mention, its looks great

Last edited by lt1hawk; 09-21-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1hawk
do u have any before or durring pics...id like to claybar my hawk, get everything a lil smoothers, get some crap off.... but im afraid i might screw somethin up, are there any ways to screw up the paint or anything, any ways to f anything up...i dont know the exact process on how to do it, but then again ive just been afraid of scratchin somethin up...

Only way to mess up a clay bar session is to confuse a lava rock for the clay...

Its Idiot proof. I recomend claybaring your car with water instead of the cleaner that comes in the box. then using water to rinse everything off
then try the cleaner is you want.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
you might want to paint the area black behind your billet grille
I agree, I think that would look good. Nice car.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
that looks real clean... you might want to paint the area black behind your billet grille

but it's damn clean
Thanks for the complement. I was thinking of painting it a satin or gloss black but didn't want to commit and not end up liking it. Another option is to have my buddy cut me a piece of vinyl to lay behind there- he owns a graphics shop.

Paint or vinyl? Gloss or satin?

Originally Posted by lt1hawk

edit* i forgot to mention, its looks great
No before and after pics. I wash my car weekly, so it was always "clean", but there was **** stuck in the paint that was noticeably rough. Follow the directions with your clay bar and make sure its lubricated enough. ONce you begin to do it, you will see what I mean. I would suggest a claybar session to ANY car. Well worth it.

Andy
Old 09-21-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

The best way to clay bar a vehicle I think is to use the clay bar with your soapy wash mit. The clay slides over the paint really smooth with the soapy water. Car looks good though. I'm sure the white really shines now compared to before.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TransAm_00
I'm sure the white really shines now compared to before.
Clean/waxed white cars + sunlight = blinding

Andy
Old 09-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Teching In

I've clay bar'd my T/A, my Avalanche and my wife's car. I usually start with DAWN dish soap. I only use DAWN for this process as it strips the old waxes and any other contaminents. I then will "wash" the car using the clay bar (soapy water). Wash it again just to be sure everything is removed. Dry it with an abosrber, then apply the wax(s). I used a scratch and swirl remover/ wax on the T/A since it's a darker color and the swirls where easliy visable (not so much on the white Avalanche and the wife's car is white too). You can spend an easy 6+ hours doing this but the reward is in the reflection... trust me!

Looks great BTW. Did you ever think you could get a DEEP shine from a white car? I didn't until I saw it with my own eyes.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Car looks great! I remember when i clayed my car for the first time, it came out great. The shine was unbelivable. My rear bumper before the clay bar session had a bunch of those brown rough spots, after the clay no brown spots and very smooth with a great shine. The day after i took my car to work and going to my car after work, the shine was like never before. I got the same car as you and the effort is well worth it, good job and nice car.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:58 PM
mcG
TECH Resident

your paint looks great, it's definately worth the time to clay your car and give it a proper cleaning session once in awhile.

lt1hawk, another tips is to never ever re-use your piece of clay if it falls on the ground, as it will pick stuff up and you don't want to scratch your paint with it!!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

looks pimp man!

i do my car just about every 3-6 months...just because it's my DD and it has an 11 almost 12 year old paint job that still looks damn good

this is after wash, clay, and 3 step...remember it's white, so you can't see the reflection as good as you can in black...

btw LT1Hawk...definately do your car, it makes it look SOOO good...i'd definately recommend it for ANY AND ALL CARS!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

The only way you could screw up claybarring is by pressing down too hard, seems to be the case with finer clay bars rather than run of the mill ones like mothers and clay magic. I tried clay barring my car with a fine Sonus bar using the method I always used with my Clay Magic bar and did a good bit of light scuffing to my clear. Nothing my Porter Cable couldnt fix though.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

you definely have a good looking sleeper car. i though it was stock by the pics.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stangkiller
you definely have a good looking sleeper car. i though it was stock by the pics.
That's the point! haha

Andy
Old 09-21-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good! Here are a few pics of my uncle's artic white 94 Z after I clayed and waxed it with nxt.

Quick Reply: First claybar/wax attempt- white 99' z28