Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What to use on dash?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to use on dash?

I've been wiping down my interior with armoral wipes and have been fairly happy with the results. However, I was wondering if there was something that would leave it with more of a satin look as opposed to shiny?

thanks,
scott
Old 09-27-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used some sort of leather conditioner. Looks good and doesn't smell like cat ****.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say no no no no to armorall products. I belive the best thing you can use is Vinylex.

Read up at http://www.lexol.com/vinindex.html
Old 09-27-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like the megs quick detailer spray, I dont know if its protecting the dash any though, but it looks good.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

i heard armorwipes cause your dash to crack. There is a big controversary on this though.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with NOT using Armorall on ANY vinyl surfaces in your car. I worked for a Custom Auto Upholstery shop in college and it was well know in the upholstery circles that Armorall will dry out vinyl at a quicker rate than normal.

Vinyl is just like leather in the respect that it has pores and needs to breathe. Armorall effectively coats the vinyl and seals the pores so it can't breathe. This leads to premature drying out of the vinyl and eventual cracking - especially accelerated on items that see direct sun/heat such as the dash.

I would only use a leather cleaner/conditioner on your vinyl, or one product currently out there that is safe is EagleOne Nano-Protectant. It is a 1 step cleaning/conditioning for vinyl & leather - comes in a blue pump spray bottle.

It will clean, protects from UV rays, dries fast with no oily residue (like Armorall), it's clear and streak free, and leaves a natural, smooth satin finish.

-Jay-
Old 09-27-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

I just use a little duster I keep in my door slot. I'll just dust it really quickly if I'm sitting at a long light every once in a while.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
I agree with NOT using Armorall on ANY vinyl surfaces in your car. I worked for a Custom Auto Upholstery shop in college and it was well know in the upholstery circles that Armorall will dry out vinyl at a quicker rate than normal.

Vinyl is just like leather in the respect that it has pores and needs to breathe. Armorall effectively coats the vinyl and seals the pores so it can't breathe. This leads to premature drying out of the vinyl and eventual cracking - especially accelerated on items that see direct sun/heat such as the dash.

I would only use a leather cleaner/conditioner on your vinyl, or one product currently out there that is safe is EagleOne Nano-Protectant. It is a 1 step cleaning/conditioning for vinyl & leather - comes in a blue pump spray bottle.

It will clean, protects from UV rays, dries fast with no oily residue (like Armorall), it's clear and streak free, and leaves a natural, smooth satin finish.

-Jay-
hmm.... good information. i'll definitely remember that!
Old 09-27-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i don't use armorall either, just wipe it down and use some quick detailer
Old 09-27-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, good forum to read!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mikerulzu
I just use a little duster I keep in my door slot. I'll just dust it really quickly if I'm sitting at a long light every once in a while.
And I thought I was the only one that did that!

I have tried about everything available over the years....use something once dont like the look then give the rest away to one of my neighbors.....they will come by on Saturday mornings once in a while for the free detailing hand outs! I have found that Meguiar's Natural Shine works the best for me on the vinyl and plastic. Looks a little wet for about a day then it just has a natural satin look after it dries.

Give it a try
Old 09-28-2006, 06:15 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I don't like the shiny look that armorall gives either. it makes the interior look cheesy.

what happened to the "low gloss" armorall they used to make? it gave a clean look without the cheesy shine. I haven't seen any in years.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:27 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I just did a search and found that they do still have "low gloss" armor all. it just isn't kept on the shelfs in many places. I liked the way it worked when I was able to find it in stores.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:28 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I just did a search and found that they do still have "low gloss" armor all. it just isn't kept on the shelfs in many places. I liked the way it worked when I was able to find it in stores. maybe I'll try to get some again.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Try "Back to Black" or "303 Protectant"
Old 09-28-2006, 07:18 AM
mcG
TECH Resident

i also stay away from armorall...never liked the stuff
i usually use the meguirs quick detailing spray for the dash, and sometimes i will use a mixture of zaino leather cleaner with just a dash of the tire shine to give it a little shine.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I used some Mothers Protectant or something like that, really liked it. It doesn't have a shinny look to it like Natural Shine does.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stay away from anything that leaves it glossy. You will get a terrible glare on your windshield which is very dangerous. I found this out for a 6-8 month period after using Lexol's vinyl shine on it. I now do what you do, just wipe it with a damp cloth.