Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How do YOU clean your interior carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question How do YOU clean your interior carpet?

I just picked up some stuff from the store (I think it's called blue somethin or rather... either way it's in a big blue can). I used it on some pretty dirty carpet in my friend's car and it came out pretty well. Just wondering what products you all use and what methods of application and removal you use for best results.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also like to know. Anybody??
Old 10-03-2006, 07:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cow bell, lol
Old 10-03-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blue Coral .
Old 10-03-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Flamin' bird
Blue Coral .
Theeere we go. That's the stuff I got
Old 10-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Depending on how dirty the carpet is; in the past I have used a Bissell carpet cleaner with the attachment for stairs/furniture. We have one at home for general carpet cleaning but it works great on the car as well. You could rent one of those Rug Doctor cleaners with the attachments for under $20 and do your wife/gf's car while you are at it.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good call on renting a carpet cleaner. Do they come small/mobile enough for getting nooks and crannies of cars?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Takes a while, but worth it. Pull it out and soak it down with simple green, take it to the car wash, hang it up and give it a good wash. I have done this many times, and leaves new looking fluffy carpet. You will be amazed at what will wash out.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Good call on renting a carpet cleaner. Do they come small/mobile enough for getting nooks and crannies of cars?
The one nozzle for stairs that I use is about 3" wide. It will get most of the areas that get the dirtiest. If I have a hard to get area I will use the little brush that my wife has for cleaning potatoes or whatever! I dont know what the hell she uses it for but I have swiped several of them out of the kitchen drawers before. She gets pissed when she cant find it and has to keep buying them, but it cleans the hard to get areas of auto carpet well
Old 10-03-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

get ready for a doozy...

Firs ti get a spray bottle of plain ol tap water and mist the rugs and such, then just spray everything down with some generic carpet cleaner. I'll let that sit for bout 5 misn and vaccum that up. Then i'll get some of that blue corel down and elt it sit and vaccum it, then I may take a steam cleaner vac (my mom has noe shes a cleaning *****) and go over everything with that.

or if I feel like some deep cleaning, (like needs tob e done now sicne i haul 4 kids to/from school and a dog) Ill take the carpet out, take uot the seats, lwoer console, etc and wash the **** out of them.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use an Oreck carpet cleaner.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Quite a few options. Good to know. Keep em comin' if you got em.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

I use spot shot. You can pick it up at any Menards in the Flooring department. Menards isnt down south at all though so some people might be out of luck there.

Makes the car smell funny for a day or two until it airs out but does the trick for grease and dirt.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've seen spot shot bleach things though. I wouldn't feel comfortable using that.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Hmm . . I didnt know that before I have used it many many times without a problem but ill have to look out for that now.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 12thstreetjunkman
Takes a while, but worth it. Pull it out and soak it down with simple green, take it to the car wash, hang it up and give it a good wash. I have done this many times, and leaves new looking fluffy carpet. You will be amazed at what will wash out.
I'm with 12streetjunkman on this one. Made the old *** carpet in my thirdgen look practically new. I took the seats and console out, pulled the carpet out, laid it upside down on the garage floor and beat about a couple pounds of dirt out of it. Once all the loose gunk had fallen out, I sprayed a bottle of Simple Green all over and let it soak in for a little bit, then added a little water, and scrubbed it down with a brush (it was really nasty). Finally, borrowed my neighbor's pressure washer to wash everything out. Carpet rejuvenation completed .

A Rug Doctor works real well for less soiled carpet, especially if you don't want to spend the entire day cleaning. It's also ideal for cleaning upholstery - damn cat pissed all over my seats - however, I still needed about half a dozen scented fabric softener dryer sheets inside the seat covers for that fresh and clean smell; it really does work wonders for masking odors.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

I use a dirtdevil and spot shot. I haven't had a problem with bleaching yet and I've used it on almost all the cars I detail but no point risking it I should look for something else I guess.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Have used both Tuff Stuff and Spot Shot with great results, especially in tandem with a stout wet/dry vac.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Restricted User

another vote for Tuff Stuff, yellow aerosol can and the top is a top and brush 2 in 1....so yea had some pretty bad stains in mine after doing some mods to the car with dirty parts and tools and oil everywhere basically and it pretty much took 'em all out...the worse the stain is, the harder/longer you have to spray and scrub...and it smells like pinesol/lemon so its a million times better than the other cleaners ive tried and smelled (i go in the maintenance isle of a store, opened up all the bottles of carpet cleaner, sprayed them into their own cap, smelled them all, almost barfed after smelling all of them, and tuff stuff smells like bathroom air freshener !!! it is the sh*t (no pun intended) lol
Old 10-09-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

Another vote for Tuff Stuff. Removed Coffee stains and grease from my moms carpet in her PT loser, removed hardcore stains from my dad's Ram. Pretty easy to use and i have had nothing but great results. Spray on the area , let stand for a little bit and scrub it out. The scrubbing is worth the results IMO.

Quick Reply: How do YOU clean your interior carpet?