Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help... My car's filled with water!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help... My car's filled with water!

Wasn't sure which forum to post this in, so mods feel free to move it if necessary.

Got about 3 inches of rain and 40-50 mph winds at our house the other night. Went out the next morning, and my camaro literally has puddles on the front drivers floor, the entire rear floor, and under the back seats. I know that the seals aren't the greatest, and I usually get some water inside when I go to the car wash (mostly from the bottom of the door and right at the bottom of the window, but nothing like this. I don't know how much total water there was, but the entire floor is sopping wet. I was curious if something like this has happened to you or someone you know. The only wierd part was that there was know water on the dash, or the seats, just on the floor... The car was NOT in sitting water, there was plenty of drainage in our driveway. I definitely need some advise.... This is the most irritating **** I've ever had to deal with...
Old 10-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

My buddy is having the same problem. He seams to think he didn't have the T-Tops in under the lips of the seals but he had a lot of water in there to just have t-tops not sealed in right. Any help would be great for me to since I normally help him and he keeps asking me why
Old 10-30-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

That happened to me once, but I had left the drivers side window down about 3 inches. I sucked it out with a wet-vac and let it air-dry for a few days. It's been fine ever since.
If your windows were up, then I don't really know how that much water got in there.
JC
Old 10-30-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

same thing happens to BOTH of my camaros when we have bitchin' rain

i have no idea where it comes from, I DONT EVEN HAVE TTOPS!!

i blame AL Queda, personally....
Old 10-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's prob the seals on the door windows or the t-tops. I plan to replace them on my car whenever they start to leak even the smallest amount. GM makes a really good rubber protectant that everyone should use. It would solve alot of leaking issues.

If I was in your shoes I would go the long route, take the seats out (front and back), loosen the seat belts from the body of the car, take out the console and remove the rug. With the rug out, wash, dry and seal the floor of the car, then wash the rug, let it air dry then put it back it. There is a decent chance the floor may rust and mold will grow inside on the rug.

I kind of like to clean stuff anyhow so it'd just be an excuse for me.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here i know the problem folks. the trunk area fills with water and it voer flows right into your backseat and wherever else. the only way to fix it is park the car on a hill with the nose pointing up
Old 10-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Humanitarian

Originally Posted by Tainted
here i know the problem folks. the trunk area fills with water and it voer flows right into your backseat and wherever else. the only way to fix it is park the car on a hill with the nose pointing up
I've seen your other stupid posts, your a tard.

If the rear hatch area is filling up with water and overflowing onto the back seats..........close the hatch you pothead.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Um yeah... No water in the hatch...

I think I may have to strip the carpet out... I really don't want the car filled w/ mildew, and I'm sure that'll happen. Ugh... I need to get this sealed... This sucks!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Ya i would just go ahead and clean the carpet. and get some better rubber to go around the windows. or you can get a waterproof car cover for those rainy nights which will cost you a pretty penny, but it still doesn't fix the problem. but id def clean it before you get that mildew smell in there
Old 10-31-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
I've seen your other stupid posts, your a tard.

If the rear hatch area is filling up with water and overflowing onto the back seats..........close the hatch you pothead.

bite me *******
thats what my problem ended up being. if i ha the car parked on a hill with the nose pointing down the water pooled up and went right into the car. if youre parking on a hill like i was try it and see if it doesnt help, if not then it didnt hurt to try now did it?
Old 10-31-2006, 01:40 PM
Launching!

bite me *******
thats what my problem ended up being. if i ha the car parked on a hill with the nose pointing down the water pooled up and went right into the car. if youre parking on a hill like i was try it and see if it doesnt help, if not then it didnt hurt to try now did it?

your right, if the car was parked nose down on a hill it is probably his problem.

For the others
- He isnt talking about the t-top well filling w/ water he is talking about where the hatch seals by the rear fenders, you know when you was your car and pop the hatch there is always water sitting, if the car is pointing downwards they could drain into the intior and not the drains that come out of the tail lights at the rear of the car
Old 10-31-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

bite me *******

Word...could definitely be a problem. I am always parked with the nose up...just the way the driveway is angled.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

thank you folks
Old 10-31-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bet it is coming inbetween the winshield and the cowl area .
Old 10-31-2006, 03:26 PM
Fiery Features Director

I have the same problem and finally ended up getting a car cover. I tested all of the seals with the water hose and found under pressure the windows leak at the top rear where it connects to the t-top seal. The pressure actually pushes the window in a bit and creates a tunnel for the water to run down the side of the door. I found another leak towards the front near the apillar. This was a slower leak. I thought it was from the weather stripping, so I changed it out. However, I still have the leak in the same place so I figure it is from the door.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:05 PM
Teching In

The car was pointing quite downhill... But there was no water in the hatch area (in the bottom or on the "shelf" right behind the seats... It was all on the floor... Don't you think the seats or something would have been wet? That's the wierdest part to me
Old 11-01-2006, 01:03 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

My T-top storage gets wet alot. I cant figure out where the water comes in. But I also know that the F-Body is prone to leaks
Old 11-01-2006, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

underneath the pcm on the right side of the car, there is a large hole with a rubber fitting, where various wires enter and exhit the car, if this cracks, or is moved in any way water will run in when there is a lot of rain.... i used this hole in the firewall to route several nitrous powerlines and my main line... shortly after my car was flooded. Im not sure if this is the problem with any others who have leakes... just my 2 cents... - jd
Old 11-01-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Here's what you do from a storm vet (Allison, Rita, etc.):
1. find and fix the leak
2. pull and shampoo the carpet
3. replace the jute
4. reinstall

Carpet should be ok to clean as the fiber is synthetic. Jute WILL mildew. It's too dense and holds moisture too long to dry without odor.

It's not expensive, just time consuming.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

just turn ur heat on for like 40 minutes, does wonders

Quick Reply: Help... My car's filled with water!