Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Wide body kit, but no flares?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide body kit, but no flares?

Sorry for beating the horse to death, but people keep saying how impossible the flares are to make... but haven't cars been having flares/wide body kits forever? Why can't one be made for a camaro? I'm sure if the suspension was done right the panels would hold. Why is this so impossible?(yes, I've prolly read every thread on this forum on the subject, but I still don't understand why even small attachments can't be produced)
Old 12-09-2006, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

me neither. ive biched about this before too...
Old 12-09-2006, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

they can easily be produced. Have you ever heard of the dick harell cars? Theyre pretty close to a wide body but gm own the molds and wont produce them. Its all up to independant companies to produce them and sell them but no body does because there isnt a high enough demand for it. You can have one custom made or make one yourself it isnt very hard just carv it our of a styrafoam sheet and apply fiberglass resin. Then sand and finish. Ive wanted to do one forever but i dont want to mess up my car. Go to the wheels section and look up "cool 20x10s fit on an f-body!" or whatever the thread says and it has pics of one in the process but its a custom one peice kit and wont be sold. On top of that you can buy generic fender flares if you want to go in that direction but it still be custom fabrication to get it to fit with an off-the-shelf body kit but i for one believe it can be done, and be done tastefully. You would have to mold the crap out of the flare so you end up with flared fenders instead of fender flares, and then get it to flow with the lines of the car. For a ta id say the vizage is the only one for a camaro i dont know. But id rather make my own and maybe one day ill buy a wrecked firebird to experement with but till then i dont plan on hacking up my car for practice.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

Oh trust me... there is a high enough demand for it. Creating fiberglass/urethane molds to attach even.. that could NOT be that expensive to do, and would definatly get many sales. they even have them for 3rd gens.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

in japan and europe they have hella body kits that we never see. Its too bad someone cant figure out how to search a japanese search engine or a german.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 530transam
in japan and europe they have hella body kits that we never see. Its too bad someone cant figure out how to search a japanese search engine or a german.
I can see it now...sombody will make one and everyone will tag it as "Rice"....

Somtimes I think we eat our young....
Old 12-09-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BitViper
I can see it now...sombody will make one and everyone will tag it as "Rice"....

Somtimes I think we eat our young....
But I honestly think if someone does produce them then they can sell each set for thousdands easily.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive thought so hard about making one and trying to save it to the point where i can pop off molds but i dont know if i can do it. Does anyone know where to buy expanding polyurethane foam in bulk? lol
Old 12-09-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Yep....almost any large marine supply store. They use it to fill hulls up to make boats non sinkable
Old 12-11-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 530transam
ive thought so hard about making one and trying to save it to the point where i can pop off molds but i dont know if i can do it. Does anyone know where to buy expanding polyurethane foam in bulk? lol
http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

I made a custom interior in a 64 chevelle ss vertible out of this stuff
Old 12-11-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh shut the f*** up!!!!! do yo know how long ive looked for that crap? dude seriously thank you so much. I have a feeling im going to be busy all...winter...long.......and maybee spring too!
Old 12-11-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

I made a custom interior in a 64 chevelle ss vertible out of this stuff
Yep the same stuff
Old 12-11-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

frickin sweet i love you guys! bitviper have you ever used it for anything? i got the idea from the bug on monster garage remeber? they filled the front bumper and rear bumper will this stuff to make it float just like you said!! cool

Quick Reply: Wide body kit, but no flares?