Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Pics and build up of my new 2000 LS-1 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so how much is your total cost so far? how much was the car and how much do you have invested in her? nice damn car tooi LOVE those hoods...if i had a z28 that is the ONLY hood i would put on her but you might want to look out for the black headlights for those...would set her off i think..great job on the build..i dont care for the CAI modyou did but its YOUR car ...do what you can do on the cheap and plan for bigger later..you could also have a tubular front end welded up so everything actually fit better>? just an idea..i love the car and what you did with it..
Old 08-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default before engine

Before the engine, I think I had about $7500 in the car,

3200 for car
1300 for paint
1300 for wheels and tires
500 for hood
130 for spoiler
100 for speakers
100 for fiberglass suplies
775 for stall
100 for window tint

I'm sure there's a few minor things in there somewhere, but that's all the major items right there.

Now with new engine, I gotta go figure out how much is in that moneypit.

As of now,

250 springs, retainers, seals
350 on heads
260 on cam
100 pushrods
375 headers
? for texas speed "y" pipe
150 cutout
30 for cutout "y"
500 for diamond forged pistons with rings
250 for h-beam rods
500 for machine work, balance rotating accembly, 3.905 hone with cam rod and main bearings
500+ for gaskets (what happend to small block chevy prices?)
150 for ls6 intake
10 for plugs
60 in oil and filters (2 changes)
? for tranny fluid (3 gal)
? for antifreeze (2 gal)
50 for stall reconditioning
10 for tranny filter and pan gasket
? ls2 timing chain
130 for ls7 lifters
Can't remember anything else right now, but there's a painful $3600 for ya, not counting the ?'s and **** I can't remember. Good thing that I do all the labor, I couldn't imagine what a full time shop would charge for this.

dm
Old 09-15-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JGKadell
You should also consider and electric supercharger.
outta this whole thread this pic was the best

TTT...... glad to see that the car is working out for you. I know they arent cheap toys

Last edited by spec_j; 09-15-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Banned

Default running car

Oh it's workng!

She's back up and going, with her rebuilt tranny that took us about a week to redo!

This was my friends tranny, lord knows that I had a liner in the trash can when I rebuilt mine!

I was going to take alot of pics, [kind of a "trash can motorsports "how to"] but I couldn't find my camera. My 3-4 clutch pack was toast, along with a bushing in the sun gear that the sun shell gear rides on. (sun shell is that big bowl looking thing inside the tranny that you see in pic above with the teeth on top) I don't know what took that out, but I got a new sun gear and bushing, polished it to fit snug, and put her back together!

Tranny parts:

New O' ring and gasket kit
New clutches and steels
New Z-PACK 3-4 clutch pack
New 2-4 band
Transgo shift kit (small kit)
The Beast (hardened sun shell)
New sun gear
New sun gear bushing
New pump
New larger boost valve
New filter
New fluid

I think that is all I can think of now. I've been driving it for about a week, just tuning it now, can't wait to get it to the track, it's ALOT stronger now.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by michaelg589
That is the worst "CAI" I have ever seen dude. Buy a new lid and a K&N filter. And for God's sake man, clean under your hood. GROSS!
Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
you guys scared him away

but seriously, that intake is horrible
Originally Posted by 01T/A88IROC-Z
Dude what are you doing to that poor car. Here...sell it to someone who likes the car enough to take care of it and can save it. And go to a junkyard, back woods dealership and get your self another Honda. People on here weren't bashing you for what you did they were trying to save you from having to replace the motor...but no...you had to be a smart ***. Now the bashing starts...dumbass. I don't have alot of money right now to do the stuff to my car that I want, but I'm not gonna put any cheap @$$ FREE retard crap on my car to ruin it. By the way...flowmasters sound like **** on LS1s IMO.
Originally Posted by 317indy
ROFLMFAO, this guy belongs in a honda...
Originally Posted by 842ta
I thought I had seen your work before???
I know I'll get flamed for this, but I gotta say it...

for one, its not your car. why do you give a d*mn about what this guy does? I've never met this moss guy. he could be a ********. judging from his attitude, he probably IS a ********. but, I'm more impressed with what this guy does, than the bunches of people here that spend three days on the "what's the best camshaft to make my car rev to 9k and go fast, yo?" dumbass threads.

two, you all tell him to fork cash out to the companies that spend great amounts of money advertising and brainwashing the general(and stupid) public about what they "need" to make the car go fast. this forum is a feeding frenzy for sponsors, and half the peoples here eat it up. a "lid" is NOT the only way to get decent airflow to the car. I'd put dollars to dimes that the intake this guy fabbed for free out of junk flows better than all of your precious air lids. someone explain to me where his intake would be more restrictive than an air lid? also, the filter is 8 inches off the ground, and would have to be COMPLETELY SUBMERGED, all the way to where the filter meets the pipe, and id guess, suck in at least 3/4 of a gallon of water to actually have enough get to the engine. the regurgitation of bullsh*t here is terrifying. it would be very, very difficul to hydrolock a motor with an intake built even like moss's. unless you were taking the car on a cattle drive and decided to ford a river, or chose the camaro over the truck in the middle of a flood in downtown orleans, I don't think it would be a problem. an old hot rod trick to clean carbon out of the engine (like your seafoam trick) was to slowly pour a 1 liter bottle of water into the carb and keep the rpm's up around 2k. you'd have to have almost 3/4 of that intake tube full of water, travelling towards the motor to get enough in the cylinders to start hydrolocking crap. the second any part of the filter came above water, your vaccuum would be gone and the heavy water in the tube would shoot back out of the filter and be replaced by air.

any backyard trash mechanic can throw down bundles of cash on proven parts that come from the shop pre-assembled and ready to go. half of the members here bolt their sh*t together like a lego castle and then preen about their mechanical skills.

when you buy a pre-assembled shortblock and bolt pre-measured, pre-milled heads on the top and add accessories, it does NOT make you an engine builder. if you have to ask the shop three times about pushrod length, and PTV clearance because you are worried to death that you'll have interference, you fail. and the horrific dot to dot camshaft "degreeing" procedures here makes baby nurgle cry.

a mechanic that can go fast for cheap, and can engineer and make things work, or is at least willing to figure it out is the better mechanic. I've seen anything from a funnoodle out of a pool, to a garden hose, to pvc plumbing used to seal/build/fabricate an intake setup on full drag race cars. hell, thats impressive. it ain't pretty, and not what I want for a street car, but for a race or fun car, the faster, cheaper mechanic wins.

a mechanic that can throw $$$ cash down on the proven parts, build a combo thats been built 17 times and have the engine shop figure his clearances, compression, PTV clearance, and rocker geometry doesn't impress me in the least.

flame suit on.

Last edited by nine-eight; 09-15-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Banned

Default car is smoking, making noise? WTF???

Last edited by dmoss69; 10-27-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: don't understand why?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, stop ******* trolling and flaming in this thread. Two users have gotten infractions. If you don't agree with him, DON'T POST.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

What was wrong with my post? I wasn't making fun, just being a smartass (plus he actually did have a brake light out...). I actually watched all the videos!
Old 10-29-2008, 02:43 AM
Teching In

You guys always bash people on here for doing something out of your lil "LS1 Tech" norm. It makes me sick that yall bash and flame a guy who is just trying to save another camaro, even if it has a "different" intake, so what....I am glad someone on here will try new things and not fall to the little sponsors who thrive off of taking peoples money for something you can make or buy way cheaper....I am a proud owner of a ss myself but stuff like this makes me happy to drive a 2004 cobra now.....Some of you guys need to stop being a jacka$$ to people
Old 10-29-2008, 04:29 AM
On The Tree

alright im confused is the red car the ex trooper car or wtf? i cant beleive it if so

of and as for the backyard creations i love it i wish i had a cheap *** ls1 i could do a budget car on sounds fun

Last edited by JustWannaGoFast95; 10-29-2008 at 04:53 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JustWannaGoFast95
alright im confused is the red car the ex trooper car or wtf? i cant beleive it if so

of and as for the backyard creations i love it i wish i had a cheap *** ls1 i could do a budget car on sounds fun
From what I gather, dmoss was building this car and got everyone all pissed off and then after he got the car painted and such he made another username and posted up the pictures in a different thread and everyone loved it. Then he let the cat out of the bag.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Teching In

I think you did a good job. I dont agree with the intake, but only because you cut the core support and weakend the the front end strength in case of a crash. but over all the look/sounds great.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by reject
racial slurs are over looked and nothing happens lol
Post the post# of the post with the slur and I promise you something will happen. I didn't catch it.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Well, I didn't see that, he gets a vacation, courtesy of Reject.

Thanks 6LE, I am apparently one blind son of a bitch.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

id say this thread is getting close to shut down...too much b.s. Just have him start a new thread
Old 10-30-2008, 02:20 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
Well, I didn't see that, he gets a vacation, courtesy of Reject.

Thanks 6LE, I am apparently one blind son of a bitch.
You probably were just looking for racial slurs that had been directed at someone specific
Old 10-30-2008, 02:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
You probably were just looking for racial slurs that had been directed at someone specific
I was, actually. Thanks for the heads up.

And yes, if the thread can stay on topic, it will stay open. Just because it's getting big doesn't mean it should get shut down.

On-topic = Open

Off-topic = Closed
Old 10-30-2008, 02:40 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

I'm handing out infractions like candy, bans are next. Insulting other members is not tolerated here.

~ Craig
Old 10-30-2008, 02:43 AM
Banned

^^^ gees its not Halloween yet CRAGER
Old 10-31-2008, 06:01 AM
Banned

Default don't shut it down......

This build is no where close to complete, and please don't shut her down.

As far as the comments, let'em fly! This build/post isn't here for moral support, I'm confident/happy with or without support. I actually enjoy the slurs, bashing, and anything else that get's thrown at me and my car.....as yall can see, I know how to handle it. I've rebuild engine and transmission myself, purchased every piece of equipment on my car and installed each myself, I can tear one of these cars apart and put it back together correctly, to have someone bash me, then ask in another post stupid questions? I love it!

It's all experimentation, it's fast, dependable, great looking car (can't put gas in it without a comment).

As far as the videos, I had purchased new tires and had to help dispose of the old ones, so why not have some fun with them. I'm not worried about hurting the car, I know who turned all the wrenches on it!

Keep the bashing/comments flowing, negative or positive. That's what this is about, love it or hate it. Mods, this can be the beginning of the trashcan/junkyard build section, with no restrictions....let it fly!

Quick Reply: Pics and build up of my new 2000 LS-1 Camaro