Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

tinted front windshields

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelg589
STUPID
Maybe to you but it was pretty bad *** to us. 35% would have been more suitable.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gi8e7oi825
UV rays? Really? UV rays cause tanning, sun burns, and can lead to skin cancer. Have you experienced any of the aforementioned effects whilst standing/sitting behind a window? If you have, let me know. I'd like to avoid whatever brand or quality of glass you're using. Thanks.
when/if your car ever gets to be 10+ years old... there is fading from the sun on the dash and all interior surfaces... UV rays and the heat from the sun also makes the plastic contract and expand constantly... which causes cracks and breaks all over the interior.

No clear glass, including automotive, blocks all UV rays... Is it stupid to wax your car to protect it from the elements just because water beading doesn't cause cancer? pleez.

Last edited by RollTideTA; 12-30-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
How do you tint the Fbody windshield? That would be a BITCH to do!
The guy that tints all my cars said the windshield was easier than the hatch area because its completely smooth... course thats just one guys opinion...
Old 12-30-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 Eddie
Maybe to you but it was pretty bad *** to us. 35% would have been more suitable.
yeah 35% - 50% on the windshield seems to be ideal. With a darker strip across the top, alot of people dont even notice the rest of the windshield is actually tinted because of the contrasting line
Old 12-30-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt mean to be so blunt. I was just writing a quick response. I would do 50%. 20% is just too much for everyday driving IMO.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry, I just had to use that one Someone put up some pics of a 50% tint with a darker strip... that sounds to be the most cop-resistant/friendly combination...
Old 12-31-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A-man930
sorry, I just had to use that one Someone put up some pics of a 50% tint with a darker strip... that sounds to be the most cop-resistant/friendly combination...
I was thinking the same thing. 50% with a 35 or 20% strip at the top. Would be nice to see some pics. This is probably what i will do this spring. Along with 35% sides and 15-20% on the hatch
Old 12-31-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

personally i effing hate when people do a dark band strip with a tinted windshield. to me it looks tacky, but i really don't like bandstrips to begin with so i think that's my grudge lol. i will say though when someone does a limo strip and tints the rest lighter it is less "noticably" but on an overcast day, everything just looks BLACK!

**** i forgot pictures at work again....i promise to get some sooner or later, i was about to punch a custo out today lol cause he was pissin me off so i left work a bit faster and angrier today then normal
Old 12-31-2006, 02:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's the only two decent shots of the windshield that I have taken since the whole windshield was done w/ 35% and a 15% strip... I'll take some more the next decent day and post them too....

Old 12-31-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RollTideTA
Cops don't care around here about your tint... its so hot in the summer time everyone (including the cops) have dark tint.
A few years back when our local Sheriff Gerald Hege was around, he had all the deputy cars painted black with like 15% all the way around! And then they would turn around and write tickets for having 30%... it was gay. But then again, this was the same guy how had a Impalla SS built by RCR, then shut down a section of HWY 52 to see how fast he could go. They guy was nuts...

-bryan
Old 12-31-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmccrary
A few years back when our local Sheriff Gerald Hege was around, he had all the deputy cars painted black with like 15% all the way around! And then they would turn around and write tickets for having 30%... it was gay. But then again, this was the same guy how had a Impalla SS built by RCR, then shut down a section of HWY 52 to see how fast he could go. They guy was nuts...

-bryan
now that is some crooked *** ****!....i hate that crap...there are a good number of cops out there that have had their personal cars tinted at my work. given these are not the cops that pass out tint tickets like the others...it's still a BS double standard!!

There is only 1 cop in the town were my work is that is a ***** with tint. the same guy that's given me many tint tickets...Officer Dan Reynolds, his nickname around town is the Tint ****, be gave my friend 3 tickets in 1 day for tint on his formula...he had to file a freakin harrassment complaint..the kicker is, Officer Reynolds is my friend's neighbor!!
Old 12-31-2006, 03:53 PM
Launching!

when ur tinting the windshield where do u put the registration and inspection stickers though? do u cut holes in the tint for them? or just put it over? cause it looks as though the stickers might tear or mess up the tint when taking them off.

and ss4matt wat is the best cleaner to use on windows w/tint, i use invisible glass and it saids its safe for tint but are there any other suggestions since ur in the tint business.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by clean99
when ur tinting the windshield where do u put the registration and inspection stickers though? do u cut holes in the tint for them? or just put it over? cause it looks as though the stickers might tear or mess up the tint when taking them off.

and ss4matt wat is the best cleaner to use on windows w/tint, i use invisible glass and it saids its safe for tint but are there any other suggestions since ur in the tint business.
We don't have any inspection or registration stickers that go on the windows here they just go on our tags
Old 01-01-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i live in michigan...our air quality is **** and we have no "registration" stickers or anything here in MI....however it's not a good idea to put stickers on tint because when you try to pull a sticker off the tint it can sometimes pull the tint off the window...when i was in Highschool and we had to put some gay *** "parking pass" stickers on our windows, i would just stick the sticker on some celephane (sp???) or a piece of zip-lock bag and just throw it on my dash....you can throw a sticker on tint, just be careful when you take the sticker off........

as far as a cleaner, i use glass cleaner by a company called sterling laboratories. if memory serves me, stoner brand makes "invisable glass" and that is safe on tinted windows and also a very good glass cleaner!! as long as the cleaner says "safe on tinted windows" you're strait...i think the amonia in some glass cleaners is what makes some tint fade faster and can dry up and make some shitty brands of tint crack and whatnot...sometimes it can losen the adhesive as well...

Last edited by SS4Matt; 01-02-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by candlelit
6% ??? that's about stupid. I don't even know a place I could buy 6% from. I don't understand why it's not 5.
You realize that 6% is pretty much exactly the same as 5% if not exactly. My 5% tint rated in at 3.5% or something like that when my other car was pulled over and checked. Tint % is just an estimate as far as i know, otherwise my tint would have been 5% like it was suppose to be.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedsTA
You realize that 6% is pretty much exactly the same as 5% if not exactly. My 5% tint rated in at 3.5% or something like that when my other car was pulled over and checked. Tint % is just an estimate as far as i know, otherwise my tint would have been 5% like it was suppose to be.
yeah. I understand that not being a *noticeable* difference. but usually everyone rounds the tint off to a 0 or a 5, and I just don't understand why someone would call it 6% instead of 5. just strange!!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re:

does anyone have a picture of 50% tint on there windshields??
Old 01-02-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

well it's a shitty camera phone picture but it's all i had....i regular custo of ours ends up he works for some company that makes all the stages and setups for all kinds of shows and whatnot, and they're busy as hell right now with the NAIAS "Detroit Autoshow" coming up. his company sent us 2 brand new H2's to tint, 2 brand new Saturn vue redlines, a dodge caliber and a nitro to tint all last week...and then they had a brand new stang that my boss had to go to their building to tint...anyways, my ex girlfrind help me take back all the other cars today and when we got there the stang my boss tinted last week was sitting outside...again shitty camera phone picture but this thing got tinted with 15% all around EVEN THE WINDSHIELD! it looked bad *** for sure, they said after where ever the car is going it will come back and we will be stripping it, they just wanted it tinted for whereever it's going....my boss's H2 is in the background limo all around and he has 50% on his windshield right now.... wow short story there excuse my finger that was aparently covering part of the lense
Old 01-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RollTideTA
my whole windshield is 35% with a 15% strip across the top... I love it visibility is fine with 35%. Cops don't care around here about your tint... its so hot in the summer time everyone (including the cops) have dark tint. You'd have to really **** someone off to get a tint ticket around here.
RollTide, your car is totally hot. What color is that?
Old 01-03-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BeachZ
RollTide, your car is totally hot. What color is that?
thanks! its a candy apple modified to match the color crimson