Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Just Got My McEwen Silver Gauges!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007 | 11:53 PM
Teching In

Torched,

Very welcome.

The numerals and ticks on the overlay are bolder than the stock by a fair amount, to give some wiggle room on alignment and add more weight the numbers/ticks on a white (or silver) background.

Put a maglight to a few of the bulb holes, or pop the cluster into the dash (without bezel), and double-check your alignment.

To answer questions on repositioning:

It is slightly challenging. One trick I like to use is using a guitar pick, or fingernail to start lifting up the edge of the overlay. As I work from one end to the other, I will insert of 'rounded' (sanded) toothpick to keep the gap between the overlay and the dial face. Once the overlay is seperated from the dial face focus on the 1 on the tach, and 150 on the speedometer. The adhesive is extremely forgiving in terms of allowing for lifting and having good readhesion.

Our original design had a few adhesive pull tabs so you can align first, then expose adhesive. However, as we moved into later years.. and larger dials, etc. I had to sacrifice some ease of installation for greater adhesion.

Avoid pulling/sliding the overlay into place. This can smear adhesive very slightly, leaving some internal stresses behind. This tension can actually move the overlay slightly (in a hot vehicle).

So, once you get it lined up, if you did pull and tug on it, simply lift one end straight up and press straight down, and do the same on the the other end as well. This is more important on Firebirds than on Camaros given the raised surface texture of the Firebirds factory applique/face.

The phenomenon is very rare, but the above, is one way to certainly avoid it. Sorry, if it caused any added concern, but I like to be thorough.

As far as cleaner go, simple Windex works great, since it dries streak free. Alcohol, can actually leave visible streaks.

-Ryan

Quick Reply: Just Got My McEwen Silver Gauges!