Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Torque ding in 1/4 panel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These "torque" marks....are they present on drivers side only? I have quite a few wavy dents in the pass. quarter that I never noticed in the past, but saw them prolly a few months ago. I will make about 120+ passes per year in the car, plus races on the street, but I am only putting down prolly 320 N/A.

Could they be torque dings??
Old 01-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I'm with everybody that the pics are of door dings and not torque dimples. As has been said, they are in most cases too subtle to be captured on camera.

My experience: I had creases on each of my quarter panels from launching - the one on the right was 9" long! It actually crimped the metal at the wheel well edge; above that it grew more subtle. The one on the left was at a 45* angle to the ground and very subtle, but about 6" long.

I installed SFC's solely for the purpose of curing this and had the car PDR'd. After last season at the track, they have not come back. However, I do have fresh dimples on top of the quarter panels.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a wavy ripple above the rear tire it's from the body flexing from torque. If you have dings like that, you've got a whole different problem.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So is this mainly only a problem on t-top cars and verts?

Are hardtops less likely to get these? I don't think I have any but I'm only bolt-ons so...
Old 01-29-2007, 07:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
Are hardtops less likely to get these? I don't think I have any but I'm only bolt-ons so...
No. And if anyone wants to challenge me, ive done a ttop conversion myself and the extra metal the hardtops have is some super weak stamped metal that i was able to bend by hand.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
No. And if anyone wants to challenge me, ive done a ttop conversion myself and the extra metal the hardtops have is some super weak stamped metal that i was able to bend by hand.
I've been contemplating a t-top conversion.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have long very suttle wavs in my quarter panel. I got the dint king guy to come fit them and he "massaged" them out. A week later, there back. I ask him if he's ever heard of the torque doing that and he's like "I've been doing this for 15 years and whoever told you that is smoking something" I personally believe it's the torque and body roll.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like airsoft gun marks.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

The roof bar is tuff as hell and does not flex/distort at all, its like an integrated roll bar that continues behind the quarter panel and ties into the rocker panel. The quarter skin will flex but the roof bar doesnt flex, something has to give and this is why you get the dimples. The serious cars hanging the front wheels and torsionally twisting the body I can see adding to the problem but if you guys in your stockers or bolt on cars think you tweaking the body from torque then your dreaming. The rear of the car just hangs off the cabin erea of the car and theres nothing supporting it exept the unitized rails with a weak joint and a little suppt. from the quarter panels. You also have the fuel tank full of fuel, spare tire ect. all adding weight to the rear of the body that has little suppt. this combined with the nice Oklahoma roads and the rear of the car constantly bouncing around "exagerated" will make the quarter skins flex just enough that the dimples show up. The rear coil springs sit right in the middle of the weak joint so they dont offer any support to anything behind that point and the rear overhang on our cars is pretty good. A roll cage prefferably one that mounts on the floor over the unitized frame rail is the best bet to suppt. the rear and keep the dimples from happening.

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
True, either way its nothing you can do to completly prevent it. Even with a cage. A well designed cage should still be designed to keep crumple zones.
Roll cages are for racing, they dont have crush zones built into them, thats exactly what there designed to eliminate. 98boxer looks like a classic example of hail damage, definately not torque or stress related.

Last edited by Jeremiah; 01-29-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could you snap a picture of the area you are describing? I drive the same oklahoma roads and would like to know what area to reenforce. Thanks
Old 05-09-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i had dimples above the rear passengers side wheel well, $75 and dentless removal and they are gone now. starting to see one coming back but well see. another problem is when i drive it hard the rear carpet between the speakers by the trunk will get creased and ill have to go back there and line it up again

tried to find some pics of it but dont have any, they are small dings about the size of a dime or smaller, more than enough to **** you off after a good hand wax job. nothing can prevent it but they are very easily fixed without any paint damage

Last edited by chrysler kid; 05-09-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
another problem is when i drive it hard the rear carpet between the speakers by the trunk will get creased and ill have to go back there and line it up again
This is not due to body flex, more likely from the poor engineering in the way the rear interior trim is poorly secured and the worn out push tabs from being removed/repleced several times. Or the trim panel could be slightly distorted out of its original shape from this poor fitment and tries to settle back into this shape. The rear devider also aids in holding the trim panels into place, if you have removed this for speakers ect. then this could also be part of the problem.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Is there any company that makes rear strut braces or something that like that(for a street car), that could strengthen the rear to get rid of these damn dimples for good?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Is there any company that makes rear strut braces or something that like that(for a street car), that could strengthen the rear to get rid of these damn dimples for good?
Get a roll cage, its the only thing that will reinforce the rear section of the car and lessen the shock the quarter panels have to absorb.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have them.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So thats what those are...hmm

Quick Reply: Torque ding in 1/4 panel?