Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Got tired of the orange LEDs in my odometer/trip meter. . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duffster
Ehatcher, no film. Orange LEDs w/a piece of frosted plexi. Did a friends T/A last night and had same.
Originally Posted by LS1obsession
The film is only on the t/a's, and it is only on the actual gauge overlay and not the odometer. You cannot successful remove the film. You can try using acetone, but it will turn out like ****.

Duffster, do you have LEDS in your gauges?
This is an untrue statement on both counts. I am not discrediting that this is the experience you guys had with your clusters, but I can say for a fact that some of the digital odometers in the Camaros were backlit with an actual incandescent bulb inside the cluster itself (twists out from behind as the other cluster illumination bulbs do). In these clusters a thin piece of orange plastic was mounted behind the display to give the orange color and is completely removable by peeling. There are NO surface mount LEDs on the circuit board either. If photos are needed to prove the point, I can post them as I still have the cluster apart. My 99 Camaro does have surface mount LEDs in this location but the cluster I pulled from a junkyard 4th gen Camaro does not. The cluster I purchased has a date code of November 1997 printed on the gauge overlay. It does not have "TRIP/ENGINE OIL RESET" stenciled next to the odometer reset button and certain indicator lights (change oil reminder, hatch open, reduced engine power) are not present on the circuit board or on the overlay. So yes, for certain Camaros (probably 97 and some 98's) the odometer does have a thin plastic film that is removable lit by an incandescent bulb and the parts list would be inaccurate for those looking to perform this mod. Sorry to burst the bubble and to dig up an old thread but not every 4th gen owner should pull their cluster apart and expect to find the instructions posted here applicable to their specific cluster.

Ehatcher, if you are still looking for instructions on the clusters that have the film behind the odometer, all you have to do in order to remove it is carefully bend the metal tabs holding the frame to the circuit board and remove the frame and display from the board. The orange film (which is glued to the glass) can be peeled off. There is a thin bead of glue running around the perimeter that is easily undone and there is no cleanup to worry about.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

holy crap, i looked at your radio and was like maybe he listens to KISS?? but i was just hoping. then i look at your location and see that u live in my city, sweet. how close to thousand oaks, maybe you could help me with this mod? let me know.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow this thread is almost a year old.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats awesome
Old 12-30-2007, 06:31 AM
TECH Addict

I think I can make out thor2015 on his name patch
Old 12-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Well, it was either dig up and old topic or be accused of bringing up a topic that I didn't search first for. However, since you guys are so opposed to correct information I'll sit back and watch the broken parts and wasted money fly with a smile on my face.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

looks sweet i would love to have mine done in green
Old 01-02-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would like to know if any sponsors do this. ive got no problem taking it apart i just want it to light up again when im done. im going to be switching everything else over to LEDs but i just dont want to mess this up and not have it work. PM me if anyone has any details, thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where can i find a write up on the odometer/milage led change....i want to try it to my factory radio and change it to red. oh and the camaros def. have the film too, ours is a blue color though...i left it in when i changed all my guages to red
Old 01-02-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks great, id like to have that done
Old 01-02-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks good!
Old 01-03-2008, 04:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02gtp4now
looks sweet i would love to have mine done in green
I was just thinking the same thing. Cool mod.

Quick Reply: Got tired of the orange LEDs in my odometer/trip meter. . .