Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Carbonfiber SS hood for 98+ Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allblacksrt4
yea paint it and leave the scoop c/f

... I think the CF scoop would look good on a red hood...

If I was in the market for a hood, I'd consider it.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
... I think the CF scoop would look good on a red hood...

If I was in the market for a hood, I'd consider it.
I have always wanted to do that.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

OMG, do you people not understand that anything that octane motorsports sells as carbon fiber is acutally just fiberglass with a final coat of carbon fiber. You are not saving weight on these parts at all. So, stop talking about how much you are saving weight with carbon fiber parts from octane motorsports (and almost all other "ricer" companies). This is all.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

I dont think anyone actually knew the weight of the parts.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by titus2669
OMG, do you people not understand that anything that octane motorsports sells as carbon fiber is acutally just fiberglass with a final coat of carbon fiber. You are not saving weight on these parts at all. So, stop talking about how much you are saving weight with carbon fiber parts from octane motorsports (and almost all other "ricer" companies). This is all.

Werd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by SpdFrk1990
I guess the zo6 is stupid as **** then and why do people buy FG too thats pretty stupid.

z06 is z06!!!!!!!!!

We are talkin' fbodys, dirteh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kage
z06 is z06!!!!!!!!!

We are talkin' fbodys, dirteh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was talking cf in general.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by SpdFrk1990
I was talking cf in general.

I know!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Titus, why the hell does anyone who would be buying this hood care about weight? Anyone who gives a big enough **** about weight to go cf instead of fiberglass for 15-20lbs is going to be a hardcore track only car and they'll be the ones buying the fiberglass/cf front clip.

They will also be the ones who know that cosmetic carbon fiber is different from race application carbon fiber.

I do not understand why anytime anybody wants to do an appearance mod it gets called "rice" or the company itself is called "rice".

To you Titus and other "rice haters", I'm sure SpdFrk1990's seats are rice to you. I mean, come on, they are not Kirkey aluminum ultra lite racing seats, they are Sparco seats commonly seen in import show cars. So what? They look better than stock and probably serve a funtion. I'd like a set myself personally.

The point I'm trying to make is grow the hell up. I'm tired of the bullshit "ricer" term being thrown around to anybody who has a unique taste and style that is more modern that the traditional chrome the **** out of everything look

Is everyone so juvenile that they must use a term originally used to describe 1987 Honda hatchbacks painted bright orange with a fartcan exhaust or a 1990 Pontiac Grandprix with neon lights and blinking tire caps to describe a 1998-2002 V-8 powered American muscle car that is quicker stock than 90% of imports with $10,000 invested in the motor simply because they want a hood made out of a nice looking material or some comfortable aftermarket seats?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where are the pics??? Also how tall is the actual scoop?? thanks ALOT
Old 02-12-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
Hey Titus, why the hell does anyone who would be buying this hood care about weight? Anyone who gives a big enough **** about weight to go cf instead of fiberglass for 15-20lbs is going to be a hardcore track only car and they'll be the ones buying the fiberglass/cf front clip.

They will also be the ones who know that cosmetic carbon fiber is different from race application carbon fiber.

I do not understand why anytime anybody wants to do an appearance mod it gets called "rice" or the company itself is called "rice".

To you Titus and other "rice haters", I'm sure SpdFrk1990's seats are rice to you. I mean, come on, they are not Kirkey aluminum ultra lite racing seats, they are Sparco seats commonly seen in import show cars. So what? They look better than stock and probably serve a funtion. I'd like a set myself personally.

The point I'm trying to make is grow the hell up. I'm tired of the bullshit "ricer" term being thrown around to anybody who has a unique taste and style that is more modern that the traditional chrome the **** out of everything look

Is everyone so juvenile that they must use a term originally used to describe 1987 Honda hatchbacks painted bright orange with a fartcan exhaust or a 1990 Pontiac Grandprix with neon lights and blinking tire caps to describe a 1998-2002 V-8 powered American muscle car that is quicker stock than 90% of imports with $10,000 invested in the motor simply because they want a hood made out of a nice looking material or some comfortable aftermarket seats?

Old 02-12-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

If I had a Camaro and money, I'd get the CF hood, fenders, and hatch. Just to be different.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SVT THIS

LOL, dude have you seen my car? Its the ricemobile of all camaros. Seriously.
I have nothing against rice. I don't call anybody rice. All I was saying is that its stupid to think that you will be getting any weight saving from this hood just because they market it as a carbon fiber hood, because it really isn't. So chill man, I wasn't calling anybody rice.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Please keep in mind that this will be painted Sebring Silver to match the car, with the cowl left unpainted, "inverse manta pattern" as termed above. This was just the test-fitment.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Regarding the comment that Octane Motorsports only sells coated CF items... have you ever bought something from them? Just curious because I did, and it was drop shipped, came from C-wings, and is made of Solid Carbon Fiber.

BTW, if you still want to call it rice, come out here and get you some!
Old 02-13-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

any bigger pics..is it the same style as a stock SS hood, or is it different
Old 02-13-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

I agree we need better pictures I might want to get one and did you weigh it? How is the fit and finish?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Sorry about the pics, even with a 10MP 1k camera, body shop lighting doesn't make for good pics. Go to www.cardomain.com/ride/2262831/7 for slightly larger pics.

Fitment is great, finish as well. Only complaint is that it's too light! Body shop says it weighs just under 14 lbs, and the hood struts are just way too much for it, I'll try to have them depressurized, but I may have to go without...

And as near as I can tell, it is exactly like an SS hood, just different materials. If you wanted to be really ****, the internals of the induction scoop aren't 'glassed smooth like on a stock SS hood, but I think we all know that very little is gained from that scoop anyways.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DRSITES
Regarding the comment that Octane Motorsports only sells coated CF items... have you ever bought something from them? Just curious because I did, and it was drop shipped, came from C-wings, and is made of Solid Carbon Fiber.

BTW, if you still want to call it rice, come out here and get you some!
Yes, I acutally bought a wings west wing for my formula from them. They are local. I can go to their store anytime I want, well during business hours. I saw their carbon fiber hoods and other items that they had on display and they were all fiberglass with a top layer of cabon fiber.
I used to own a cavalier which I had a VIS carbon fiber hood, that too was fiberglass with a top layer of carbon fiber, I had the VIS trunk lid and the same time.
What exactly did you buy from C-wings?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Launching!

I bought the above pictured hood from them, though it wasn't something they carried, and I essentially just paid them to order it through C-wings, another retailer. They advertise it though, and I assume that they stock it. If you'd like, I'll take pictures of the underside, internals, etc. of the hood to show you that it's solid CF. The car/hood is still at the body shop, but I'll be going back over there on Friday.

Quick Reply: Carbonfiber SS hood for 98+ Camaro