Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cursive "camaro" emblems on a 4th gen - how to?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cursive "camaro" emblems on a 4th gen - how to?

I know this has been done before, but to my knowledge, its not that common, probably because of how hard it is to put these on.

I'm thinking I want to take the old cursive "Camaro" emblems and put them in place of the stock Z28 side panel emblems.
(example here) Notice the lettering is really thin!

These do have pegs on the back of them to place THROUGH the body. I will NOT be putting holes through my body! So I'm wanting to find a way to grind them down (got that part...dremel!) and find a reliable way to put the emblem on the side panel, while leaving the possibility to take them off if I ever decide to change my mind down the road (ie, not hurting the paint job, or the body).

Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-02-2007, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

It's been done and it looks good if you're going with an old school theme.

A razor blade or an exacto knife and 3M double-sided tape will come in handy when you're ready to attach them.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, just get some 3M adehesive tape, Stick one side to the back of the emblem (after the dremel mod) and then cut the 3M tape accordingly with the same of the badge. after that, clean/prep your surface and apply the emblem. To line it up I would usually use a Masking Tape to make sure its straight... Good luck!
Old 04-02-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

^ how do you get the tape from not going off the emblem so you dont see it when you apply the emblem on?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

One way would be to leave the backing on both sides of the tape, and trace the outline of the lettering.

Then take the Xacto knife and trim it inside the line(s). It'll be thinner then the emblem and should fit w/o having any tape showing.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Oh, by the way, the emblem is actually hollowed out! So its really thin, and its just the outline and not a smooth flat back surface.

Right now I'm thinking I'll fill it with epoxy and let it dry, and sand it or cut it down and MAKE the back flat, then do the 3M adhesive. But someone posted up a good point on another thread......what to do about them haters. I'll be pissed if someone steals my damn emblems!
Old 04-02-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MavZ28
Oh, by the way, the emblem is actually hollowed out! So its really thin, and its just the outline and not a smooth flat back surface.

Right now I'm thinking I'll fill it with epoxy and let it dry, and sand it or cut it down and MAKE the back flat, then do the 3M adhesive.
I just cut the tape into strips that were slightly oversized for the emblem (you can cut the excess off once you have the tape on the emblem) and pushed the pieces onto the back of it.
Use a small screwdriver to shove the 3M tape into the 'hollowed out' portion.
Here's what mine looked like after the tape was applied:

My car is a DD and the emblems haven't budged, nor are you able to budge them. The tape holds real well.

The epoxy idea seems a little overboard and might make the emblem stick away from the car because the tape is considerably thick.
If you do epoxy them though, first make sure to mock them up to the car so you can bend them to the contour of the panel, it makes them look much cleaner.

Originally Posted by MavZ28
But someone posted up a good point on another thread......what to do about them haters. I'll be pissed if someone steals my damn emblems!
It has happened, not to me, but I've seen a few people post that they were ripped.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:10 AM
11 Second Club

snuffles: no installed pics?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Havok2
snuffles: no installed pics?
lol.... I wanna see pics too
Old 04-04-2007, 01:02 AM
11 Second Club

damn you snuffles...
Old 04-04-2007, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Do you already have the CAMARO filled on the center of the tail panel? If you don't it's going to look retarded with the two Camaros in different fonts on there. I swapped my SS emblems over to 69-72 Chevelle ones and just cut the studs off and put double side tape in the hollowed out backside and trimmed the excess off. The stuff bonds really well so even if all of it isn't touching it's still not going to come off.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GETGONE
Do you already have the CAMARO filled on the center of the tail panel? If you don't it's going to look retarded with the two Camaros in different fonts on there.
Retarded? Not at all.
If I put the emblem on the back filler panel, then I could see your logic.
But it fails here.

Originally Posted by Havok2
damn you snuffles...
I'll see if I can get some pics today ... it's raining right now though.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

I agree with snuffles. I mean, by all means, if someone wants to offer me a way to backfill that entire back panel and re-do my CAMARO with a matching 1st gen style back lettering, no doubt that look bad ***! But that would be insanely unique and expensive. I'd rather spend that kinda money on performance mods.

I kinda see your point, but c'mon man, don't be a hater. We gotta be realistic

Quick Reply: Cursive "camaro" emblems on a 4th gen - how to?