Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Mecham Hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Mecham Hood

So where would I still be able to order a Mecham Hood for my '99 Formula. Any suggestions?
Old 05-10-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hear theyu have fitment issues, have you tried a search
Old 05-10-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Directly from Mecham.

They did have terrible fitment problems originally, but they now state that those problems have been solved due to new molds that were neccessary because of the high demand for their hoods.

Don't have any personal experience - just stating what they report on their site...
Old 05-10-2007, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think even the new ones have issues, there is a guy with one here who's needed quite a bit of work to fit well. Reason being though is the fiberglass is so thin, to keep it light, the fitment quality suffers.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ive heard the new ones are much improved! i hope so cause i love that hood!
Old 05-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Launching!

I got mine almost 2 years ago. When i bought it i had to wait an extra three weeks since the guy making the new mold was behind. It was worth the wait. As far as fitment..any fiberglass part i have ever put on a car required some form of modifications. Some big, some small. Its the price you pay with fiberglass. As soon as it comes out of the mold, it starts to change shape. I had to shave a few edges down on mine and build some out. Nothing major really. Only big thing is to replace the hood struts with weaker ones or take them off. Or else the stockers will start to stress the hood and you will see dimples. I went with the stockers and had to fix the dimples and re-paint .
Old 05-11-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FloridaZ
I got mine almost 2 years ago. When i bought it i had to wait an extra three weeks since the guy making the new mold was behind. It was worth the wait. As far as fitment..any fiberglass part i have ever put on a car required some form of modifications. Some big, some small. Its the price you pay with fiberglass. As soon as it comes out of the mold, it starts to change shape. I had to shave a few edges down on mine and build some out. Nothing major really. Only big thing is to replace the hood struts with weaker ones or take them off. Or else the stockers will start to stress the hood and you will see dimples. I went with the stockers and had to fix the dimples and re-paint .
Please tell me where you got those hood struts
Old 05-11-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FloridaZ
thats great!!! But camaro hoods have never had problems, its only been the ls1 TA hoods. All of their otherr products were fine including spoilers etc it was only the Ta hood for some strange reason. By the way i also like your vizage body kit i was considering one for my trans am before it wass tolen last week
Old 05-12-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm bought my mecham hood and had it on the car since jan. of last year and i have not had a fitment problem or even many (if any) waves in the hood that the body shop couldnt take care of in less than a day. my only problem with how mine looks is where the hood meets the nose. but thats my own fault because i dont have a front bumper support. and yes you can only buy from mecham directly