Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

100% Egyptian Cotton good enough?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 100% Egyptian Cotton good enough?

I just got my first Zaino Ultimate kit and am looking forward to useing it on the cars this weekend. The only thing is that it is specific in saying to use 100% American Cotton towels, but I can't find anything that really breaks down to that level and it all is just labels "100% cotton" only other thing I can seem to find is "100% Egyptian Cotton" around at the stores. I don't want to take the risk and virtually get no results out of the stuff because I used a low quality towel, and my understanding is Micro-fiber is a no no.

So is the egyptian stuff ok to go with? Found this at Linens 'n Things -

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp...entPage=family

Would these be ok to get?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well for me i dont like to use cotton towels because they leave so much lint and some can actually leave little scratches... i use microfiber ONLY
Old 06-01-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Sleep on egyptian cotton, wipe your car down with an MF towel.

Nothing against the Zaino Bro's recommendation, but the typical cotton towels you tend to find are crap. Most people skimp and instead of buying the higher end stuff, they head down to Wal-Mart and get the $2.00 pack of 20, and then wonder why they scratch. Get some nice MF towels for removing polish/wax (they're tighter and better knapes) and you'll be just as good.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

I would look into pakshak towels if I were you. JMO.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:20 AM
TECH Resident

Last time I checked, Zaino sold their own 100% cotton towels off a section of their site in a variety of sizes but I can't seem to find it. I remember somebody posted up a link to it a long time ago. I'm over Zaino and moved on to simpler things that are just as good and much less time consuming IMO. Cheap microfibers will leave swirls though. If you look around at some of the "premium" detail companies they have some pretty good quality microfibers that won't swirl your paint as long as you're not applying too much pressure.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
Last time I checked, Zaino sold their own 100% cotton towels off a section of their site in a variety of sizes but I can't seem to find it. I remember somebody posted up a link to it a long time ago.
Zaino has never sold towels.

Sal does recognize that some microfiber is great, but he isn't comfortable with the quality control (or lack there-of). If you can find a quality microfiber retailer - Pak Shak, Excel Detail, Tropi-Care, etc. - then I would definitely recommend going that route. Do not use Egyptian cotton.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Veteran

microfiber for the win
Old 06-02-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a whole bunch of Microfiber towels that I have picked up at Wal-mart over the past couple of years and I can feel on some of them that they start to harden after a couple of washes and just toss them out. The other thing is they are all always colored from what I have seen.

Any suggestions of stores to possibly look around at? Was planning on going all out on cleaning the cars this weekend and I stumbled upon the bump that I probably have been useing the crappy quality towels.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

I bought a 50 pk of MF towels from sams club. After careful inspection only 30 can be used on my car the other 20 turned into dusting rags for the hizzous. I think I paid like 11 bucks for it too IIRC
Old 06-02-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 849 Likes on 650 Posts

The grey MF towels at Target are pretty nice. The black California sheared MF towel at PepBoys is a great drying towel.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Be sure to check out our microfiber collection at www.tropi-care.com.

Test your towels and applicators using the CD test. If they scratch the CD, they'll scratch the clear coat.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZaneO
If you can find a quality microfiber retailer - Pak Shak, Excel Detail, Tropi-Care, etc. - then I would definitely recommend going that route.
Second the recommendation to pick up MFs from PakShak and Excel Detail. I would assume that Tropi-Care also has quality MFs to go with their excellent TC-8 & 3.

Quick Reply: 100% Egyptian Cotton good enough?