Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

God I HATED drying, but now...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default God I HATED drying, but now...

It's much easier now. I've bought enormous waffle-weave microfiber drying towels, and I've run around the car trying to dry quickly to avoid waterspots... It seems like I could never get it done RIGHT. I would always need to correct with some detailer spray in some area, or there would be areas that keep dripping water.

But now, I think I've figured out the PERFECT drying routine:

1. Wash with high lubricity car soap OF YOUR CHOICE with a microfiber mitt until it's CLEAN with two buckets.

2. Rinse with water.

3. Wash VERY quickly with Mr. Clean Autodry soap (for its drying aid purposes... I know it hardly cleans but WHO CARES because the car is already clean). You don't have to do a good job. You just have to make sure that the soap is spread well on all the panels with the mitt.

4. Rinse with water

5. Rinse with Mr. Clean Autodry filtered water, sheeting as much water as possible.

6. Now, use a LEAF BLOWER for a bit and that's it... Perfect!!! You'll have SO little to do, and it will be dry!!! I use an electric 200 mph Black and Decker, and yes, my neighbors thought I was crazy.

With this, there is little labor to do, time goes by faster to get to waxing/sealing right away, and there is no DRY RUBBING of any towels to dry the car, high quality microfiber or not.

God I've always HATED drying my cars... This has been my most stress free way EVER!!!

Hope it works for some of you!
Old 06-17-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

i hate the mr clean autodry. its all bullshit. glad to see that u were able to use it for something. but it still proves that it doesnt work.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Banned

i just use soap water, microfiber mit, the leaf blower (the redneck shammy), and a huge waffle towel.

Washing the car in the shade or later in the day always helps too!
Old 06-17-2007, 12:02 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I love the Mr. Clean Auto Dry.
Thats all I use to wash my car.
No other steps, no drying.
It works perfectly for me and my car is black.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Yahelou
i hate the mr clean autodry. its all bullshit. glad to see that u were able to use it for something. but it still proves that it doesnt work.
The proof is right in front of my face when I see it dry...

Yeah, I found a way to use it, a way for it to compliment my drying routine. It works for that.

Could I just rinse with with water and go straight to the leaf blower? Sure... I have, and it's not as efficient.

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
i just use soap water, microfiber mit, the leaf blower (the redneck shammy), and a huge waffle towel.

Washing the car in the shade or later in the day always helps too!
Dirty Bird, that's pretty much what I used to do, and it was definitely great.

Then my wife bought me the Mr. Clean Autodry, and I thought it sucked when I used it by itself... I actually put it away for a long time.

Then I thought about combining these procedures, and I'm never looking back.

Naysayers, feel free to go nuts on me... It's a shame it seems that no one will try it before putting it down. Either way, my life is easier.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by VIP1
I love the Mr. Clean Auto Dry.
Thats all I use to wash my car.
No other steps, no drying.
It works perfectly for me and my car is black.
Well, if you ever feel that the soap is not cutting it like I did, try it this way and it's ALOT better.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

I'm mixed with that Autodry stuff. Its worked fantastic twice for me, and shitty once
Old 06-17-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

mr clean autodry has never worked for me. i dont know, maybe im using it wrong. ur makin me wanna pull the autodry out of the shed and try to figure out what im doin wrong. im gonna have to try ur steps, hopefully it will work for me.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BigT2002
I'm mixed with that Autodry stuff. Its worked fantastic twice for me, and shitty once

Your filter was probably good the first two times, and on the third time your filter was contaminated and ineffective. The filter it COMES with REALLY sucks. It's only good for three uses, so they advertise, but I think it's only good for one use. What filter were you on?

The replacement filters are good for an average of ten uses, but again, I find that they do not last the average. These last me only 3-5 uses. The water in my area may be really hard, taxing the filters, or it may be me spending alot of time sheeting the water to my satisfaction.

Originally Posted by Yahelou
mr clean autodry has never worked for me. i dont know, maybe im using it wrong. ur makin me wanna pull the autodry out of the shed and try to figure out what im doin wrong. im gonna have to try ur steps, hopefully it will work for me.
Man, the reason I put it away for a long time was that it dried well, but the soap SUCKED.

Then, after reading some threads here about the Autodry being used ONLY for the filtered water immediately after cleaning with regular car soap, I gave it one more shot that way, and I was kind of disappointed. I needed to correct many water spots, and the water didn't dry this time like it did the first. I realized the importance of their soap to aid the drying process.

Personally, I'm finding this exact routine to be VERY effective.

The gist here is that, though the drying process works fine when you follow all the steps and use their soap, the soap SUCKED and unless the car was very lightly soiled, there would be dirt left behind. BUT... if you use other soaps that clean the car well and only use the filtered water for rinsing, then now it doesn't dry so well like they advertise. Considering these two problems that I was observing on my cars is what led me to this routine.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

230 mph leaf blower, works great on the wheels, no spots and no rubbing. Now, all the money I didn't spend on Mr clean auto dry I use to fill up the tank and ride
Old 06-17-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usuing Mr. Clean auto dry takes all the fun out of washing the car. I love washing cars and I always use a 200MPH leaf blower, it works great!
Old 06-17-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh, the leaf blower is alot of fun... It's always my last step.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

C'mon man. Show off that MRM.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SweeTbone

C'mon man. Show off that MRM.
Haha... Here are some old pics of the rides:

Old 06-17-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Man, the reason I put it away for a long time was that it dried well, but the soap SUCKED.

Then, after reading some threads here about the Autodry being used ONLY for the filtered water immediately after cleaning with regular car soap, I gave it one more shot that way, and I was kind of disappointed. I needed to correct many water spots, and the water didn't dry this time like it did the first. I realized the importance of their soap to aid the drying process.

Personally, I'm finding this exact routine to be VERY effective.

The gist here is that, though the drying process works fine when you follow all the steps and use their soap, the soap SUCKED and unless the car was very lightly soiled, there would be dirt left behind. BUT... if you use other soaps that clean the car well and only use the filtered water for rinsing, then now it doesn't dry so well like they advertise. Considering these two problems that I was observing on my cars is what led me to this routine.
u just convinced me. im gonna go buy a new filter and try out ur methods. what kind of soap did u use originally when u washed the car the first time??
Old 06-18-2007, 01:21 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Leaf blower is definatly the best way to dry a car... Been doing this for a while now.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:56 AM
TECH Resident

for some reason the leafblower doesnt work for me. i always have a good coat of mothers gold class wax on the car, but the water just doesn't come off without a towel.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like alot of work and stuff. How about just washing it with a car wash soap and take it for a spin around the block for a minute or two? Been doing that for 10 years now and it's prefect with out haveing to worry about Mr Clean, 2 buckets, a leaf blower and all that other jazz
Old 06-18-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PopaPork
Seems like alot of work and stuff. How about just washing it with a car wash soap and take it for a spin around the block for a minute or two? Been doing that for 10 years now and it's prefect with out haveing to worry about Mr Clean, 2 buckets, a leaf blower and all that other jazz
I seriously hope you DO NOT wax afterwards!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Every time and no problems or scratches