Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Porting, Prepping and Painting a FAST 90 Intake Write-up (tons of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Porting, Prepping and Painting a FAST 90 Intake Write-up (tons of pics)

Ok guys. This is for all of you DIY (Do It Yourselfers) out there. Please allow me to give you some background about how my FAST90 came to be, and what all I did to it before installing it on my car yesterday (Aug 3rd, 2007).

Back in April of 2007 I came across a guy selling a Tony Mamo ported FAST 90 intake in Houston. I picked up the intake in person for $1k. Hell of a deal considering at the time the combo alone unported sells from $1150-$1300 depending on where you get it. A Tony Mamo port job in addition to the FAST90/90 combo is between $400-$500 on top of that. The intake had 0 miles on it. It was installed on the car, started up and run but 0 road miles on the intake itself.

Here is what the intake looked like once I got it home:

You can see in the runners that this intake has been ported just like the seller had previously informed me...:

Here is the intake once I degreased it and started sanding it down (extrior first). Sanding process went as follows (100 Grit, 220 Grit, 400 Grit, 1000 Grit):

Here is the top shell sanded down starting with 100 Grit, then to 220 Grit, next I used 400 Grit, and finally to make it smooth 1000 Grit sandpaper. You can clearly see I sanded it down. If you are curious as to what the inside of the runners feel like before sanding them down, the exterior top side of the shell is what you need to look at and feel for reference...:

Since the FAST intake is a composite polymer constructed intake, you just cannot spray on a primer coat and then paint the intake. For this reason, you need to spray on a couple coats (i did 2 coats, 1st one light, 2nd one medium coverage) of an adheisive promoter.

All prep (adheisive promoter), primer, and paint spray I used was by Duplicolor. If need be I will be more than happy to get you the spray can numbers of each, respectively...

Duplicolor Adheivsive Promoter
Duplicolor Primer (light grey)
Duplicolor Gloss Black Paint
Duplicolor Clearcoat

Here is a pic of the intake secured down and with both coats of Duplicolor Adheisive Promoter (BTW, it goes on clear)...:

Here are some pics of the intake after the 1st coat of Duplicolor Primer. I did (3) coats (light, light, medium) and followed the directions on the can to allow for the correct amount of drying inbetween coats...:

Here is the intake after all (3) coats were applied:

Painting the intake with a conventional can spray paint is tricky, especially getting into all the crevices that thie FAST90 intake has. If you have experience using a spray gun for a more even and unified spraying application, I strongly suggest using a Paint Gun. Also, if you know someone that would be willing to paint your intake for free (you supplying the materials of course), that would be option #2. For me, well, I got to can spray. this is where you need to devote the most time and attention cause you can mess it upvery quickly. Again, I followed the instructions on the can but instead of (3) coats, I chose to do (4): light, light, medium, medium spray coverage. Here are some pics after the 1st light coat:

Here is a pic after all (4) coats have been applied...:
Old 08-04-2007, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Now that I have covered that, I would like to go back into more detail about sanding down (porting) of the middle and lower intake together as one unit. I figured since I did it to the top shell that doing it to the middle and bottom shell couldnt hurt anything.

Here is a pic of the middle and bottom shells after using 100 Grit (note you can see which runners I had sanded and which ones I had not):

Here is a pic of them after 400 Grit:

Here is a pic after I used 1000 Grit to finish up sanding down (porting) the middle and bottom shells as one unit. Please look closely at the runners and again you can clearly see that this intake has infact been ported. my sanding of the middle and bottom shells really brings that to light. Mainly look in the rounded corners of the runners:
Old 08-04-2007, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

After allowing the top shell which I painted Gloss Black to dry, I found that I wasnt very pleased with the results. So I chose to wetsand down the intake before adding another coat of paint and then clearcoating it. To be honest, wetsanding sucks. But if you want to be pleased with something that has taken you a while to do, then go for it. Im **** about my SS and wanting the intake to look as clean as I keep my car.

Here is a pic after I finished wetsanding down the top shell:

Here is a pic after appling the last coat of Duplicolor Gloss Black Paint, and Duplicolor Clearcoat (2) coats is what I chose to do:

Finally, here are a few pics of the intake assembled back together and then with the NW TB:

Old 08-04-2007, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

I installed the FAST90/90 intake yesterday and had my car retuned. My old numbers were 409/386 (running an Ls6 intake with a stock NON-ported TB....

Mods are as follows: SLP Lid, SLP Bellow, FAST 90/90Comp Cam 224, Patriot Stage II Ls6 "Style" heads (59cc), LT's/ORY, SLP LM, HP Tune. Here are the results from the very first run, car not being re-tuned (computer screen shot and ignore the lower numbers, those were the last numbers they had on file for my car, i didnt gain 50rwhp, JUST 35rwhp... ):

Here are the final numbers:

Here is what the FAST90/90 intake looks like intalled on my car along with the STB that my girl got me as a B-day gift...:

Heres a pic of my car, and hopefully now understood why I wanted to paint the intake black:

The gains as you can see ar unreal. It brought out the entire shop to see. I did not expect those numbers at all with just the install of the FAST90/90 up from my Ls6 Intake. I have video of my dyno run and will get that downloaded soon.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask them. I hope that this little write up will allow people to realize you can do little things to really make your car stand out...
Old 08-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. SOLID numbers right there. I am impressed by that big of a gain.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:53 PM
FormerVendor

Are your base numbers from the same dyno?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice and clean under the hood, great numbers.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by toofazt
Are your base numbers from the same dyno?
yes they are. all work, tuning and re-tunes have all been preformed by RPM in Lewisville, TX...

my car is tuned w/ HP Tuners...

I also have a dyno sheet from LG Motorsports from a Dyno Day they had on May 5th of this year, to back up my old numbers of 409/386...
Old 08-04-2007, 10:31 PM
FormerVendor

Very nice gain then! Looks like I need the Fast 90/90 setup and some heads! Thanks for sharing
Old 08-04-2007, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by toofazt
Very nice gain then! Looks like I need the Fast 90/90 setup and some heads! Thanks for sharing
no problem, and glad i could get that cleared up for you. i gained 35rwhp/8rwtq, not 50rwhp and almost 30rwtq...

FWIW, my heads are Patroit Stage II Ls6 "Style" (59cc), 2.02"int/1.57"ext heads...
Old 11-07-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow! kick ***!!!!!!! This should be stickied!!!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Old 11-07-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

what cam do you have in your car,very solid gains there.looks good
Old 11-07-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intake now matches your car beautifully!
Old 11-07-2008, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by redtail2426
what cam do you have in your car,very solid gains there.looks good
Comp Cam: 224/224 .581/.581 @112 lsa...
Old 11-07-2008, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Maybe I should start painting intakes cause the business looks promising.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great write up. I have almost the same HP as you with LS6 intake and TR224 cam (before your FAST swap). When the car was tuned at the HP Factory, ED told me that I had alot of vacuum and that a Fast 90 set up would add some more HP. Thanks for posting this, it is all the more reason for me to get one.

Nice car.

Quick Reply: Porting, Prepping and Painting a FAST 90 Intake Write-up (tons of pics)