Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Would it be possible to switch out rear view

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003 | 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Would it be possible to switch out rear view

Would it be possible to switch out rear view mirror to another one that displays the temperature and the direction you are traveling in?.....Like the ones that come on the Chevy's pickups and tahoes...etc....I have been wanting to do this......
Old 05-23-2003 | 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Would it be possible to switch out rear view

I have seen it done before and it came out really nice. I believe the guy used one out of a Tahoe (not sure) and it looked really good. If I didn't know better I would of thought it was a factory option.
Old 05-24-2003 | 11:57 PM
Launching!

I installed a Gentex in mine. I see you have a 98 also, which is a little more to the install then the other years. In the 98's (not sure on 99-2000) you'll have to cut the wiring harness that plugs into your stock mirror and crimp the supplied pins (if you buy a new mirror) onto the wires and use the supplied connector. The 98's have a square connector and the newer f-bodies have a rectangle connector which is what these mirrors use. It's a easy install and I love mine. It has auto dim, compass, outside temp and map lights.

Edit: Here's a picture of mine.
Old 05-25-2003 | 04:32 AM
TECH Resident

I installed a Gentex in mine. I see you have a 98 also, which is a little more to the install then the other years. In the 98's (not sure on 99-2000) you'll have to cut the wiring harness that plugs into your stock mirror and crimp the supplied pins (if you buy a new mirror) onto the wires and use the supplied connector. The 98's have a square connector and the newer f-bodies have a rectangle connector which is what these mirrors use. It's a easy install and I love mine. It has auto dim, compass, outside temp and map lights.

Edit: Here's a picture of mine.

Hey Rob, how much was the mirror and where's the best place to get one?

Looks great!
Old 05-25-2003 | 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

I got mine off of ebay, brand new for $200. Instal is real easy, only took me about 45 minutes.
http://community.webshots.com/user/02blackz
Old 05-25-2003 | 10:05 AM
Launching!

Hey Rob, how much was the mirror and where's the best place to get one?

Looks great!
Thanks

I got mine from someone local and only paid $100 for it, but last time I checked he didn't have any more
Old 05-25-2003 | 06:40 PM
Administrator

I think ND4SPD (Ken) has one too. Very nice touch!
Old 05-30-2003 | 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I went to Gentex's website www.gentex.com, they referred me to Mito Corp's website www.mitocorp.com as their "Authorized Distributor" and they're asking $249 for the mirror. They also have on their listed the instructions on how to retrofit one intoyour vehicle.

I know they're covering all bases in thier instructions for vehicles that may not have any support for this type of mirror, but I have two questions.

1) They mention the pad on the windshield. Will the Gentex fit over it?

2) Do we need to wire all the temperature harness and reverse lamp connection? Or is everything there on our cars BUT the mirror itself?

I have it on the 2500HD and had it on my Tahoe and Aurora and miss it when I drive the Camaro.
Old 05-30-2003 | 09:35 AM
Launching!

Ok, I went to Gentex's website www.gentex.com, they referred me to Mito Corp's website www.mitocorp.com as their "Authorized Distributor" and they're asking $249 for the mirror. They also have on their listed the instructions on how to retrofit one intoyour vehicle.

I know they're covering all bases in thier instructions for vehicles that may not have any support for this type of mirror, but I have two questions.

1) They mention the pad on the windshield. Will the Gentex fit over it?

2) Do we need to wire all the temperature harness and reverse lamp connection? Or is everything there on our cars BUT the mirror itself?

I have it on the 2500HD and had it on my Tahoe and Aurora and miss it when I drive the Camaro.
The Pin-outs in their instructions are not correct for our cars. I have the correct pin-out somewhere *scratch head* I'll look tonight when I get home.
To answer your questions: Yes it will fit on the stock mirror pad.
You will have to run wires for the temp prob, power/ground (run to fuse panel) and the reverse hook-up if you use it - I didn't on mine.
It's a easy install.

Edit: Found instructions for our cars - here's the link Autodimming Mirror Install
Old 05-30-2003 | 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the Donnely unit which is the factory supplier for our cars. You can see it in my webshots gallery.

Ken
Old 06-01-2003 | 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

where is the temperature sensor placed? that would be cool to have a barometer as well to judge how much faster/slower your car would be
Old 06-10-2003 | 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your PCM already has a barometric reading. I believe it is taken off the MAP sensor. These interior ones do not tell barometric pressure. At least none of the stock units I had in my trucks.

Quick Reply: Would it be possible to switch out rear view