Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

microfiber towels

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Default microfiber towels

which ones r recommended, where to but and I am curious as to how you guys suggest to take care of them re: machine wash and dry ??? or waht thanks...
Old 12-28-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the cobra microfiber towels are good to use they won't leave scratches like the cheap microfibers from wal mart. also sheep skin mitts to wash the car are also really nice.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this is from zaino's website. i know it doesnt mention microfiber, but i use his method for care of my micofiber towels

Towel Guidelines

I prefer high quality name brand 100% Cotton Towels Large White Bath Size for washing, drying and polishing. I don't like sponges natural or synthetic or any wash mitts, since they all can scratch.

Another great tip is to use a Toro 210mph Electric leaf blower. Dries your car in about 5 minutes.... without even touching the paint surface....

I prefer high quality name brand 100% Cotton Towels to dry the car. Chamois or the Absorber and especially the Water Blade are flat and could trap a piece of dirt and scratch the paint finish. Towels have nap and are much safer and forgiving. Even if it were to pickup a piece of dirt, the nap would cushion it.

Again Towels must be name brand high quality 100% Made in USA.

You must use only white. Not colored towels..... colored towels are not to be used because the dye leaves a chemical residue on the paint finish. Always wash your towels first before using. Use Liquid detergent and rinse twice.

When washing your towels. Only use Liquid detergent such as All or Tide, etc. Do not use Bleach, Powdered Detergents or any kind of fabric softener. They will leave a chemical residue on the towels which will transfer to your paint finish. Make sure to run rinse cycle twice to remove all detergent.

You should cut the selvages (borders) off the perimeter of the towels. This selvage contains nylon and polyester stitching that could possibly scratch your paint finish. The towels will fray a little once this is done. But it's better to play it safe.

Drying the towels on high heat will make them hold a static charge. I use the regular heat setting and remove them a little damp and let them air dry. You can fluff the towel real good when it's dry to make it softer.

As the towels get older they will lose there nap and absorbency and will have to be replaced.

Where to buy towels........

Some name brands make a lower quality version of their towels for K-Mart, Walmart and other big discount chains. These towels say 100% Cotton but that is not, totally true. The nap is 100% cotton but the backing material has polyester blend in it. So if you press a little to hard on the towel you can get some fine scratches or swirls. The point I'm trying to make is a lower quality towel is selling in a discount store for $6.00 or less (approximately) it is not the good stuff. I buy all my high quality towels at stores like Linens and Things and Bed, Bath and Beyond.

I realize that Cannon-Fieldcrest aka (Pillowtex) is no longer in business... but there are plenty of other towels still available. I buy all my Cannon & Fieldcrest towels in the Bath & Linen shops in the bigger stores in the mall. I pay anywhere from $10 to $20 per towel. You can also try Linens and Things or Bed, Bath and Beyond... If you cannot find the Cannon or Fieldcrest line, then any high quality substitute towel from the above stores is acceptable.

These are the real deal. I buy about 3 or 4 towels and they usually last me about a year.

Last edited by VSGLS1; 12-30-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Caring for Mitts and Towels

- Wash on the Hot/Cold setting
- Use liquid detergent only w/ no bleach and NO fabric softener
- Add distilled white vinegar to the rinse cycle for added softness and soil release
- Rinse twice
- Dry towels on low heat w/ no fabric sheets
Old 12-28-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I been using meguiars microfiber towels and love them. I have about 4 of them. 2 for the paint with meguiars QD and 1 for the windows and 1 back up.
I spray some shout on them and wash in cold water let air dry.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

Adam's Polishes makes great MF towels and drying towels. Have used them for over a year and the vette looks showroom. Wash normally then dry without fabric softener sheets, it kills them, or just air dry.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Pakshak and Danase towels are some of the best I've used. The Vroom drying towel from Target is also a quality piece and I was pleasantly surprised after buying one.

Tropi-Care is a sponsor on the board and I'm sure they sell quality MF Towels as well.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

FREE shipping on orders over $30.00 through Monday.

See all our microfiber selection here: www.tropi-care.com
Old 12-28-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the meguiar's mf towels
Old 12-28-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6_00
the cobra microfiber towels are good to use they won't leave scratches like the cheap microfibers from wal mart. also sheep skin mitts to wash the car are also really nice.
I got mine from walmart
Old 12-28-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6_00
thats what i use, best stuff and they make multiple styles to suit what you need them for.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have some from Tropi Care and I have a ton from Pak Shack. I really like the Pak Shack ones
Old 12-29-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

i talked to a rep from meguiars at the last e-town swap meet. he said they are now recomending a high quality terrycloth towel as apposed to a MF. ive used MF in the past, then bought one good, high quality terry, and am now a convert to towels. they pick up whatever wax/polish you use so much easier and faster then even a Meg's MF ever did. its just as soft as a MF, has a much thicker nap, and cleaning is done as any towel. i still have MFs, i use a Megs for the final detail and touch up after using a towel first.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

^i know what you are talking about. i was a detailer and always used those high quality terry's. microfiber are okay but they MUST be cleaned after every use. the main reason that they leave scratches is because the car wasn't cleaned well enough before waxing and so you are actually picking up dirt with the microfiber. just make sure you take the time to clean the car right the first time. i learned the hard way... there were a few times that i had to get out the buffer at work and go over the car again bc i used a dirty microfiber.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

forgot to mention.. pushing down too firmly while removing the wax will also scratch the paint. just be patient with it.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

DF Concours get my vote for best towel available. Pak Shak and Cobra would be a step down from those, but still very nice towels.

Tropi-care also has some very nice towels at a very good price point. The Tropi-care Waffle Weave drying towel is my current towel of choice for drying. I have several of them.

Last edited by Gipraw; 12-30-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are the Best I have ever Used, And I have used alot of differant Towels.

specialtymotoring

Last edited by VSGLS1; 12-30-2007 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Non-sponsor direct linking...