Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Zaino or Tropi Care for NBM

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Zaino or Tropi Care for NBM

Alright guys, this is your chance to give you $.02 on Zaino vs. Tropi Care.

As of right now my car sees about 3000 miles a year, spends all its down time in a garage under a cover, and only sees nice days.

My detailing right now consists of

-Menzerna IP on a Orange pad via Portercable.
-Menzerna FPII on a Green pad via Portercable.
-2 Coats Meguiars NXT paste wax by hand.
-2 Coats of either Meguiars #26 Carnauba or Meguiars Gold Class by hand.

I'm getting close to being out of the Menzerna, so I'm looking to try something new this time around. Like i said i dont drive the car much, but when i do, i usually do a quick detail afterward, and need something thats going to tolerate that.

Im looking for recommendations in terms of Zaino, and Tropi Care, from people who have used it on dark colors and like the results. I've heard that Zaino is probably the most durable, but harder to put on, however they arent a sponsor. And I've heard that Tropicare gives excellent shine, and is also very durable. Both seem to be about the same price.

If anyone could show pictures, or offer advice about their EXACT processes, I'd appreciate it
Old 01-08-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently using Tropi-Care and have been very happy with the results.

My process:
Wash with cheap solution
Claybar
Wash with Tropi-Care TC-6
Dry
Menzerna Intensive Polish with an orange pad (used only as a problem solver for stubborn scratches/swirls)
Tropi-Care TC-8 Swirl Remover with a an orange pad
Tropi-Care TC-3 with a blue pad
Tropi-Care TC-5 detail spray
Tropi-Care TC-15 tire dressing

The good:
  • TC-8 and TC-3 finish down to a very fine powder, which makes it easier to clean up
  • Great shine
  • Lasts as long as I don't do something to remove it (wash with Dawn, clay bar, etc.)
  • TC-6 has excellent suds and leaves the surface of the car very smooth.
  • Steve Pasztor has been very quick to respond on these forums to any questions people have had.
The not so good:
  • The TC-5 I have has a VERY strong floral fragrance. I'm not sure if they've changed this formula or not, but it's overbearing.
  • The TC-15 can be a little hard to work with. It's really thin, so I have to be careful not to let it run everywhere. I typically have a piece of cardboard or something that I use as a shield while applying.
Of course, your mileage may vary. I was pretty skeptical at first, being a long-time Menzerna/Zaino/Blackfire user, but the products and the results I get speak for themselves. Compared to Zaino, there are things I like about both and things I dislike about both. Zaino still seems more durable, but that's not as big a deal for me, as my car gets washed long before it has a chance to get dirty. Tropi-Care is a little easier to work with, in my opinion.

Like any sealant, preparation is the key.

-Mike
Old 01-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Teching In

have you heard of prima? i was told is was one of the best products for black and NBM color cars?
Old 01-08-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks chupr0cabra...thats good info.

havent heard of prima though.

anyone use Finish Kare 425 spray detailer? people over on autopia are raving about this stuff....
Old 01-09-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Zaino and Tropi-care are both great products. I am a little partial to Tropi-care. Not sure where you are located but I stock most items and can save you the shipping if your close. As far as I know the smell is the same with the detail spray (TC5), but it works great! The tire dress (TC15) is the best Tropi-care has had in my opinion. It has been changed a few times over the years. I apply it to the tire dress. applicator and then to the tire. It holds up very well and doesn't "sling" off. A couple coats of polish followed by a coat of wax makes the dark cars paint look really deep.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

How come you're not reloading on the Menzerna? Just curious...
Old 01-09-2008, 08:56 AM
ggk
Launching!

menz is the best polish around. and if you want a good sealant chemical guys jet seal is good, but duragloss products are good too.
just buy some more menz polish and go on a spree at chemical guys!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can't go wrong with Tropi-Care! I haven't tried Zaino in a long time, once I tried TC, I had no reason to.

I use the TC-6 soap, TC-8 with the PC & a orange pad, TC-3 with the blue pad, pretty much the same as chupr0cabra. I started topping the TC w/ some liquid carnuba from a local place, it seems to really add some nice depth to it.

I've got some more pics on my Fquick...

Last edited by Unstang; 01-09-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have used tropicare myself and liked the shine it gave. It was also easy to apply and remove. I have not used zaino.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Unstang
You can't go wrong with Tropi-Care! I haven't tried Zaino in a long time, once I tried TC, I had no reason to.

I use the TC-6 soap, TC-8 with the PC & a orange pad, TC-3 with the blue pad, pretty much the same as chupr0cabra. I started topping the TC w/ some liquid carnuba from a local place, it seems to really add some nice depth to it.

I've got some more pics on my Fquick...

I want Tropi-Care now...
Old 01-09-2008, 05:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It's important to establish a process and stick to it without shortcuts. This will yield the best results.

Once you get the surface the way you want, maintaining it that way will be much easier. Be sure to check your wash mitts, towels, and applicator/foam pads that they don't scratch.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Launching!

I am stuck between these two products myself.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve@Tropi-Care
It's important to establish a process and stick to it without shortcuts. This will yield the best results.

Once you get the surface the way you want, maintaining it that way will be much easier. Be sure to check your wash mitts, towels, and applicator/foam pads that they don't scratch.
Good advice, one little mistake can reverse a ton of hard work!

The first time using TC vs the first time using Zaino was night & day as far how easy the products came off, TC won, hands down. (Again, it has been a while since I used Z.)

Here is the roof of my SS reflecting the ceiling of my garage after some TC.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

I have only used zaino but am very pleased with it.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well...its certainly not that i DISLIKE menzerna...i'd just hate to get stuck in my ways if theres something out there thats better. the problem is i keep finding VERY light swirls that i cant source....im using clean microfibers, quick detailer, and the dust is very light. im wondering if i should stick with the menzerna polishing process and add something for protection instead of what i've been using. (such as TC or Zaino) or just go all out and buy everything. im not disappointed by my shine at all right now

IP, FPII, 2 Coats NXT, 2 Coats Megs #26

Old 01-09-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I saw your other thread, the car looks good.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks dude
Old 01-10-2008, 08:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by mattl31
well...its certainly not that i DISLIKE menzerna...i'd just hate to get stuck in my ways if theres something out there thats better. the problem is i keep finding VERY light swirls that i cant source....im using clean microfibers, quick detailer, and the dust is very light. im wondering if i should stick with the menzerna polishing process and add something for protection instead of what i've been using. (such as TC or Zaino) or just go all out and buy everything. im not disappointed by my shine at all right now

IP, FPII, 2 Coats NXT, 2 Coats Megs #26
Matt:

Are these light swirls still there after you finished polishing?

It may be necessary to use a white polishing, gray or blue finishing pad with your micro-polish to eliminate those faint lines. This will refine the surface to a higher degree before your last step product. It does not hurt to experiment with different combinations.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Just placed my order for the "PC kit" with troper care last night, gonna try it out on my vert Ship that puppy Steve!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't speak for TC, so I can't exactly compare the two, although I do use Zaino frequently. I've had nothing but great results from the products, and their customer service. It's a simple process...although it is rather time consuming.

Like I said, I can't compare the two, but I doubt you'll be dissatisfied with Zaino.

The results speak for themselves:

Quick Reply: Zaino or Tropi Care for NBM