Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Polishing Steel...anyone have any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Polishing Steel...anyone have any tips?

I may attempt to polish my red strut tower bar that doesn't match a damn thing on the car. I am going to have it stripped and then I am going to polish it.

Any pointers on how I should go about this or what I should use to do it?

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on how it looks after it is stripped just wetsand in finer and finer grits until you hit 2000 or so. Then you can hit it with a buffing wheel and compound to make it shine like a mirror! Hand polishing will do good too but not as good as a wheel.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't.... lol. Regular steel will rust if it doesn't have a clear coat on it and it won't polish up very nicely.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

^very true but don't crush his dreams! LOL
Old 03-03-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by toofazt
Don't.... lol. Regular steel will rust if it doesn't have a clear coat on it and it won't polish up very nicely.
Good info is good info. The guy that was goin to powdercoat the parts cannot do a piece as long as the bar so I just figured it could be polished. Could I simply polish it up and then grab a can of clear and spray it on?

Just shooting ideas around. I may end up just going to someone diff and getting it all powdercoated plain black.

BTW, there is a polished version of the bar available so I would assume its the same metal? Or am I horribly wrong? lol

-brian

Last edited by Blackbirdws6; 03-03-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
Good info is good info. The guy that was goin to powdercoat the parts cannot do a piece as long as the bar so I just figured it could be polished. Could I simply polish it up and then grab a can of clear and spray it on?

Just shooting ideas around. I may end up just going to someone diff and getting it all powdercoated plain black.

-brian
Yes, you can polish it the best you are able to and then spray some high temp clear on it.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

What kind of STB is it then maybe we can help more.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BTW, there is a polished version of the bar available so I would assume its the same metal? Or am I horribly wrong? lol

-brian
If its a hotchkis bar, the polished version is not steel, its alum. Aluminium is not going to rust on you like steel will. With steel you can look into "Zoop seal" to give a good seal on the metal to keep it from oxidizing.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

i had mine polished nice and forgot and left it out in the rain and it rusted alot. i gotta re sand and polish it now.

how do you guys strip it? i used sandpaper. could i have gotten it sand blasted?
Old 03-04-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

Yes! I had to sandblast a set of wheels that were powdercoated because my hands were killing me trying to sand it with my hands!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

It is a Hotchkis STB. I should have just included that but forgot to mention it. Is it aluminum? That would make things sooo much easier . Looking at the description, the powdercoated ones are steel but the polished one is aluminum.

-Brian
Old 03-04-2008, 11:05 AM
FormerVendor

It is a Hotchkis STB. I should have just included that but forgot to mention it. Is it aluminum? That would make things sooo much easier . Looking at the description, the powdercoated ones are steel but the polished one is aluminum.

-Brian
Yes, the powder coated ones are steel. A good way to tell if it's steel or aluminum is try to stick a magnet to it, if it sticks it's steel, if not it's aluminum. You can also look at the welds and/or the actual weight of the item. The aluminum stb costs considerably more than the steel. Aluminum will also oxidize over time w/o a protective coating.

Last edited by SPECIALIZED STAINLESS; 03-04-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

I have polished my brake caliper brackets. They look great and with a clear coat on them, no rust.
Attached Thumbnails Polishing Steel...anyone have any tips?-im000648.jpg  
Old 03-04-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by planemech2
I have polished my brake caliper brackets. They look great and with a clear coat on them, no rust.
Looks great. How did you polish them? I'm assuming they are steel but I've been wrong before lol.

-Brian

Quick Reply: Polishing Steel...anyone have any tips?