Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Replace Seat Belt with New Color

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Seat Belt with New Color

I'm thinking about replacing the seatbelt webbing on my 07 Impala SS with red webbing. I've been searching all over for someone that would do this work or sell a replacement set. The only thing I can find are some cheap aftermarket kits that probably won't fit and would look out of place, or just the webbing, which I would have to get put onto the the existing hardware. Does anyone know of a place that sells custom belts and hardware that are a match to the factory set? How about if I did replace the webbing myself? Has anyone done this? How easy is it and how safe?

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure about where you can get this done, but it's not something I'd do to my car. I think it's kind of a cheesy thing, like changing the color of the wiper blades.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a few luxury cars have seat belts matched to the rest of the interior, but not many. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "webbing."

You might try http://www.gahh.com they supply replacement leather seating and such for Mercedes, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar, etc.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
There are a few luxury cars have seat belts matched to the rest of the interior, but not many. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "webbing."
Webbing is what they call the actual belt material. Thanks for the site. Even though they don't sell seat belts, they may know of another source.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by thmass6
I'm not sure about where you can get this done, but it's not something I'd do to my car. I think it's kind of a cheesy thing, like changing the color of the wiper blades.
Well, it's definitely not to everyone's liking, but I think it would look really good to have a bit of extra color in the interior. I colored the inside of the SS stitching on the headrests red and also have red overlays on the outside. Either adding a little more red with the seatbelts or possibly redoing the seats with red in the center would really set it off well.
You can see other pics at my naioa garage.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:17 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

I'm not a fan of doing this but I might have an idea for you. Try buying the seatbelts for your car from a dealer with a different color interior, being a red interior.

We do have a sponsor here that sells GM parts, Scoggin-Dickey Parts Center:

http://www.sdparts.com/

Give them a call!

Just an idea, hope that helps,
Craig.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:09 AM

Thanks Crager.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:10 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

No problem boss!

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

The best thing you can do is stick the belts in bleach water for a couple of days and then use auto grade fabric dye.

We used to do this for restro cars.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
The best thing you can do is stick the belts in bleach water for a couple of days and then use auto grade fabric dye.

We used to do this for restro cars.
My interior is black and so are the belts. Will this work on dark colors like black? I wanted to get a fairly bright red, which I've seen on some other cars. I don't think the dye would work too well.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by yem07ss
My interior is black and so are the belts. Will this work on dark colors like black? I wanted to get a fairly bright red, which I've seen on some other cars. I don't think the dye would work too well.

My experiences haven't involved color changes but things like black to black and blue to blue. Just bleaching it and redying the same color. The belts were left in there for a couple of days.

I have heard of a guy that changed black floor matts to red. You would have to ask around some more but don't cross it off the list just yet!

http://www.wildweasel.ca/HowTo/Auto/DyedMats.aspx

This is the guy I heard of. He says he did it in a Cavalier and had good results but experienced fading. Maybe a better dye could be used?

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

All materials put into cars are specially treated to wear better in sunlight and in other "harsh" conditions. Dye from Wal-Mart or Home Depot isn't necessarily going to offer any UV protection and it's going to fade.

I'd keep searching for seatbelts in the right color, rather than trying to do it yourself.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey, I ran across these colored replacement seat belts.
http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/resebe.html

They come in some really good colors!

There's also this site too:
http://www.gotbelts.com
It offers a HUGE array of different colors and has a lot of customization I haven't looked at yet.

Last edited by Brangeta; 03-26-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:12 PM

Unhappy

Thanks for the info Brangeta. These are the sights that I've found as well as many others that offer the same stuff. They are all generic type replacement belts and I don't think they would match up well as a replacement due to the hardware they use. For example, most new cars have a special mount at the b pillar that slides up and down, and these wouldn't fit that. Most if not all of these won't work with the seat belt sensors either.

The best that I can think to do would be to replace the belt material (webbing) but retain all my existing belt hardware. I don't like this idea since I have no clue how to make sure the stitching at the ends is strong enough in case of an accident. I don't want to put anyones life in jeopardy.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you're right. Just replace the webbing and have an upholestery shop do the stitching. I'd never trust myself to do that.

http://www.gotbelts.com/webbing.html
You can buy just the webbing by the yard there, and the price is pretty reasonable. Their price for the entire 3-point apparatus was STEEP and unnecessary I bet.

Don't quote me on this since I don't know how seatbelts are constructed (particularly what sort of device spring loads them back in to retract the webbing when you take it off), but using logic, it seems like if you can take the one apart in your car, all you need to do is switch the webbing out and attach the round button thing that goes in the lap portion. I don't know what that piece is called, but I believe it stops the seatbelt from retracting too much.

Quick Reply: Replace Seat Belt with New Color