Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

paint in bad shape

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint in bad shape

Just like the title says, my paint is in need. The car never really seems clean, even when I wash it. The car is white, and there are little red/brown dirt colored specs all over it. It's worst on the bumpers, and it even feels gritty to the touch. I used a claybar on it once and it seemed to work to an extent, but not enough to get it all. I guess my question would be: if I continue to clay the car do you think it would eventually get to the point of being slick, or does it need more than just hand cleaning?
Old 04-02-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a '96 arctic white 3.8 Camaro for 10 years and those little spots you are talking about were a constant source of irritation for me. I never got them to go away. I could get them to reduce in their appearance but they always seemed to come back. Was never given a clear answer to what they were or what caused them.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:44 AM
Launching!

Im pretty sure if you claybar to much it takes off clear coat... Have you tried to wax it?
Old 04-02-2008, 05:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by go-t
Im pretty sure if you claybar to much it takes off clear coat... Have you tried to wax it?
I'm pretty sure that makes absolutely no sense.

Clay bars are completely non-abrasive objects. All they do is pull out things stuck to/in the clear coat. They will never remove paint unless there is a pre-existing condition of paint/clear flaking off.

The clay bar should remove the black dots but you might want to try a nice paint cleaner like Meguiar's. You want some sort of polish.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were closer to where I live I'd detail it for you. I've detailed quite a number of cars just on the side over the years and everyone's been happy. I have a P&C which does wonders. I even wetsanded the orange peel away on my dum ole Honda which is a daily driver. When I bought it last summer it was in sad shape. It had overspray on the hood and you could even see straight lines....as if someone laid cardboard on top in spots and then painted something nearby. I used my Porter & Cable with yellow,orange and followed up with black using the 3M products...fine cut rubbing compound and polishing glaze. I wet sanded the one back quarter panel that had the bad orange peel and the trunk. I think someone got Maaco to do some crappy job on it...here;s a few pics

What it looked like when i got it. It had no shine at all...

bad scratches and oxidation

This is after I wetsanded it with 1500 & 2000

And here is is when it was partially finished with the shine all back again

I need to take some recent pics but everyone that saw it in person couldnt believe how much better it looked. I worked hours and hours on this car which was my "practice" vehicle.

Then I worked on my b/f's Camaro which had serious oxidation on the rear bumper and some major scratches. I got all the scratches to disappear and the bumper all shiny

here's one of the major scratches.

After

Old 04-03-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

your red brown spots sound like rail dust, happens if you or a previous owner live by train tracks, clay bar should remove it.

if it looks like this its rail dust (nevermind the bee)
Attached Thumbnails paint in bad shape-beforeclay.jpg  
Old 04-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Kind of like that, but the spots are not quite as big. I hope the claybar takes that bee off for you, lol.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Flamin' bird
If you were closer to where I live I'd detail it for you. I've detailed quite a number of cars just on the side over the years and everyone's been happy. I have a P&C which does wonders. I even wetsanded the orange peel away on my dum ole Honda which is a daily driver. When I bought it last summer it was in sad shape. It had overspray on the hood and you could even see straight lines....as if someone laid cardboard on top in spots and then painted something nearby. I used my Porter & Cable with yellow,orange and followed up with black using the 3M products...fine cut rubbing compound and polishing glaze. I wet sanded the one back quarter panel that had the bad orange peel and the trunk. I think someone got Maaco to do some crappy job on it...here;s a few pics

What it looked like when i got it. It had no shine at all...
Holy crap. I thought I needed a new paintjob since my black doesn't shine anymore. You didn't respray any portion of that Civic at all?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Claybar will take that stuff right off. Then follow with wax and it works great.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just want to get my formula repainted....just cant afford $4k for a paint job to keep it the same color...
Old 04-04-2008, 09:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Every restoration process will begin with the use of the clay bar after washing the heavy dirt off the surface. This skims off all the sticking contaminants and could cause additional problems if not removed.

To determine the need for a clay bar, place your hand inside a plastic baggy and gently slide it over the surface including glass. This increased sensitivity will give a true reading of the surface condition.

After using the clay bar, then you can determine what needs to be done in terms of scratch or swirl remval. Hand treatments will give you a clean shine, but will be difficult if not impossible to remove the scratches and swirls. To really remove the blemishes, machine use will be necessary and easier.

Nice work, Flamin' Bird.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Ok guys i work at Turtle wax and im a detailer....clay baring the car will not strip the clear at all!!! That makes no sense. A lot of cars come in with this problem, it is from industrial fall out or rail dust. We usually get it all off with just a really detailed clay bar. Now there is a lot of differnt clay bars out there...it ranges by color...turtle wax mixed two differnet clay bars together but i don't know what ones they mixed. Try getting a higher density clay bar.

Last edited by BlkT/A01; 04-04-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: paint in bad shape