Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Tinting tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey shadow1999 could you send me some pics of your tail lights and what percentage of tint did you use. thanks and i am gonna check on the hobby store i have a buffer but its a walmart one and what do i use to buff it out i have never done this stuff before
Old 07-05-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
I compared a buddy's nightshade job to my hobby store r/c window tint paint job, and mine actually came out much better looking than theirs. Mine were darker, more glossy, yet let equal if not larger amount of brake light through

naper, after doing your tailights, buff them a little before clearing them (if you have a buffer). they'll come out with a high gloss mirror finish if you take your time
I just finished mine last night. I used the hobbyshop window tint and it came out perfect super glossy with no clear 4 coats and after that I still cleared it with 5 coats to prevent it from fading in the future. All I have to do is buff them so that there nice and smooth.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

Here are some pics with hobbyshop window tint. They just need to be buffed out to be super smooth. I recommend this to any one very easy to use. I also threw in a pic of the whip and what clear coat and window tint I used. I already did the side markers and put them on the hawk. I will take pics when the taillights are on.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/748747-has-anyone-actually-tinted-their-tail-lights.html

just to keep these two threads together
Old 07-05-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

almost exactly a year since i made that thread too
Old 07-05-2008, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

here is mine with VHT nightshades and Dupont Chroma Clear.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a write up I did on the nightshade, if there is one word of advice I can give you about it, DONT PUT IT ON HEAVY!!! This stuff is very thin, if you want it dark put a bunch of VERY light coats on it. I have heard too many people put it on thick cause they want it dark, im telling you put the stuff on light.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...nightshade+how

A couple pics of mine.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

I had the tail light tint, didn't like it too much. It started peeling, but you can wet it and apply it again and again. The only problem i had, was I had a few tiny bubbles towards the bottom of the lights. I just went out and bought blackouts. I think they look better.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

finished product hobbyshop window tint. taillights and side markers..hope u like it.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No contest, VHT all the way!!! Did my markers, front corners and 3rd brake light with no problem!
Old 07-09-2008, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

sorry, guys i havn't had a chance to go to the hobby store yet iv been busy with enrolling into votech but i will go tommrow and see. and then when i do it i will send you guys the pics.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by naperws6
finished product hobbyshop window tint. taillights and side markers..hope u like it.
That looks good. How many coats are on the tail lights? Does the tint go on that dark or could I spray multiple coats and have them come out a little less dark? I'd like to still have the reflectors visible.

Btw, does the light still reflect through them pretty well?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

and get get precut ones off ebay, ive had them on for a year now with no problems, just make sure to check on the ma lot the first week so you can fix the bubbles on the ends

Old 07-10-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by spudnick3119
That looks good. How many coats are on the tail lights? Does the tint go on that dark or could I spray multiple coats and have them come out a little less dark? I'd like to still have the reflectors visible.

Btw, does the light still reflect through them pretty well?
I did 4 coats of tint and 5 of clear on the Hawk. I'm doing my Saleen next and I'm doing only 2 coats and 4 clear since the car is Sreaming yellow I don't want the lights to be to dark as for black cars I think you should go 3-4 coats. The tint does come out kind of light as you add more coats it gets darker. Just make sure you pray from side to side and cover the whole tailight to get even coats.

Yes the light does shine through very well for being 4 coats.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

well i ordered some window tint paint at the hobby store hopefully its transparent and i will get it Wednesday and naperws6 what brand did you use cause they got two kinds testors and something else. thanks and i will post up some pictures of the finish job which it will be done next thursday because im putting in the new motor and trany.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by naperws6
I did 4 coats of tint and 5 of clear on the Hawk. I'm doing my Saleen next and I'm doing only 2 coats and 4 clear since the car is Sreaming yellow I don't want the lights to be to dark as for black cars I think you should go 3-4 coats. The tint does come out kind of light as you add more coats it gets darker. Just make sure you pray from side to side and cover the whole tailight to get even coats.

Yes the light does shine through very well for being 4 coats.
Something that has been bothering me about this, and try and not take too much offense because your results are awesome but,

If you can afford an '02 Firehawk, and a Saleen, why cant you afford to maybe have them professionally Sprayed....or at the least, bump up to Niteshades?

To each their own, but Hobby Model paint??

Seems kinda..............cheap to me!

Just my .11 (due to current inflation+fuel) though!
Old 07-10-2008, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

hey man its alote better then paying 20 bucks for two and plus shipping.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TooFastT/A
Something that has been bothering me about this, and try and not take too much offense because your results are awesome but,

If you can afford an '02 Firehawk, and a Saleen, why cant you afford to maybe have them professionally Sprayed....or at the least, bump up to Niteshades?

To each their own, but Hobby Model paint??

Seems kinda..............cheap to me!

Just my .11 (due to current inflation+fuel) though!
Your a funny guy It's not the money its a simple mod and very easy to use. I have heard that vht can be difficult to spray. For your info if this would have failed I would have sent them to a bodyshop. I did find a professional bodyshop to spray them for $150 for both taillights, but since it came out perfect I guess I have some money left over for GAS.. Some people feel good saving $$$ and doing their own mods. Plus I saw good results in other people doing this on other forums so I figured why not. By the way nobody is asking you to try it. P.S. don't you worry when and how I spend my money.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

^^I know, I am very funny.........anyways, like I said, IMO.

I fully believe in doing your own mods, hell I've done all of the modding to my car myself, but it's just me....I see it as having a pristine Hennessey Viper and taking Model Paint to it!

But, To each their own! I'm glad you had good results! I'm glad it didn't turn out like crap, but you have a misconception towards Niteshades! It's not the product, its the handler! Those whom claim that it is difficult to spray, are the ones whom are scared of what they are doing!
There are plenty of people whom use it like anything else, and have no problems with it! It is just like any other spray in the fact that you have to pace yourself and know how much to put on and how thick! ****, I did mine the first time around with little knowledge of ever spraying a car let alone some lenses, and it turned out perfectly. Maybe its just me, but I've been noticing alot that people are really scared to do something like this, and if you can follow simple directions, pretty much anybody can do this mod.

All of this is IMO though! BTW, I could give two ***** about what you spend your money on...its your money, I just try and remember the old adage, 'You get what you pay for'
Old 07-10-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

"If you can afford an '02 Firehawk, and a Saleen, why cant you afford to maybe have them professionally Sprayed....or at the least, bump up to Niteshades?"

So why make a comment at all. You should have just said I would have used VHT or nightshades, but your hobbyshop tint came out good. But I had good results on my first try with VHT. That's what I recommend everyone uses, but instead you start talking about what I can afford and not afford with my money next time mind your business about what I can afford.

Quick Reply: Tinting tail lights