Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

This buffer OK for removing swirls/minor scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This buffer OK for removing swirls/minor scratches?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92623

I've been doing some researching in previous threads and I've noticed most people buff from around 1000-1500rpm. This buffer goes to 3000rpm. As long as I use the right pads,compounds,polishes, whatever... will I be able to remove swirls? I know everyone would recommend PC and such but I'm only 18 and money is tight right now.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never, ever, ever, buya nything from Harbor Freight. They are the Dollar General store of tools. That buffer will take one month to ship and last about 5 uses.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there is a harbor freight store right by my house thats why i was wondering
Old 07-23-2008, 06:07 AM
Staging Lane

i wouldnt buy anything from harbor freight either!!!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 06:36 AM
TECH Resident

I agree with everyone...
Old 07-23-2008, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

well what buffer does everyone recommend to remove swirls & scratches????
Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would start with the Porter Cable. Check Tropi-Care's website>>>>>
Old 07-23-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

not a bad deal at all... I really need this since I have a whole crap load of em and they stand out. Also need to wax the car too
Old 07-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99zee
I would start with the Porter Cable. Check Tropi-Care's website>>>>>
Also, FYI, under the "sponsor sales" section, tropicare has a 10% off coupon good until end of July.

To the OP, you're not going to be able to get a $40 buffer that will have enough power to remove swirl marks. It sucks, I know. I'm planning on getting the Porter Cable myself so I can get rid of the holograms left by an incompetant detailer.

Also, you may want to just stick with a cheap "cover up" solution rather than trying to buff the swirls out with poor equipment--at least until you have enough money to get the PC. Klass All-In-One seems to be the favourite cleaner/sealant for hiding minor swirls and leaving a shiny finish. Also, I use Meguiars #21 syn. sealant on my car. While other liquid polishes still showed the holograms on my car, the #21 hid them. So, assuming you're not dealing with deep scratches (the kind that turn white b/c they fill up with dry wax), you can probably get by with investing $20 into a high quality sealant.

Last edited by Luder[PAK9]; 07-23-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by italicizedsponge
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92623

I've been doing some researching in previous threads and I've noticed most people buff from around 1000-1500rpm. This buffer goes to 3000rpm. As long as I use the right pads,compounds,polishes, whatever... will I be able to remove swirls? I know everyone would recommend PC and such but I'm only 18 and money is tight right now.
This buffer variety is a high speed circular polisher and seasoned users set their speed in this range for compounding the finish to remove deeper scratches and sanding marks. Other name brand polishers such as Makita and Dewalt also feature up to 3000 RPM speeds as well. Their prices range from mid 100s to over $200+. This style of polisher is not recommended for use by beginner or novices as it will cut very fast and can easily burn the clear coat.

Porter Cable and other random orbit buffers have their speeds measured in orbits/minute. (OPM) Their rotation is much safer as the machine action vibrates up and down at the same time it spins in an elliptical orbit to dissipate heat from building up on the surface.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont get a high speed buffer unless u know what u are doing becuse u can do damage if not

this is all u should ever need ===> http://www.tropi-care.com/product_p/tcpc-30.htm
Old 07-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Luder[PAK9]
To the OP, you're not going to be able to get a $40 buffer that will have enough power to remove swirl marks. It sucks, I know. I'm planning on getting the Porter Cable myself so I can get rid of the holograms left by an incompetant detailer.
Actually a rotary buffer will remove swirls and scratches way faster than any dual action buffer like the PC will, even a cheap one like the one at harbor freight.

To the original poster, I would seriously reconsider using a rotary if you've never used one before. Its a powerful machine, way more than a PC, and can do some serious damage in a short amount of time. I would practice on a scrap panel for a bit before even attempting using it on your car if I was you.

By the way its a hit or miss with the Harbor Freight rotary. I've read instances where some people have used it for a while without any problems. Others weren't so lucky. Mine gave out after only using it about four times, but oh well I'm only out $20 and I got some pretty good practice out of it. I'm getting a Makita rotary next.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can't I just set it at a low RPM to not burn the paint?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Location: The Republic of Texas, just south of the United States...

I would seriously reconsider anything from Harbor Freight; buying a power tool from them is like getting a flue shot from a heroin addict, in the end you're fucked.

The porter cable model 7336 is THE piece to own in auto detailing. You'll spend maybe 120-150 bucks but you'll only spend it once and be happy that you did. I've had mine for 5 years now and never had a problem.

Operating a rotary buffer at any speed can **** up your paint BAD if you haven't experience with it. They work great and are a wonderful tool but are dangerous to paint in the hands of the unskilled.

Quick Reply: This buffer OK for removing swirls/minor scratches?