Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Carbon Fiber Guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So here's pics of the ZR1 that inspired me today...

This is hopefully a small glance into the future of what our targa will look like (with smaller drip rails):

Here's what a CF roof and sail panel look like on a six figure car:

I say if it is a good enough look for a super car it is good enough (not rice) for us
Old 11-22-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Well the targa is DEFINITELY happening. It will be in full production in January, first production pics around end of December first of January.

What is not definitely happening but COULD happen is the sail panel. I personally don't need it for my car (I have no bubbles) so it is NOT something I would put my money into (like other projects).

However, I can easily get it made if there is enough interest. By interest I mean monetary deposits at the least...
maybe this was mentioned earlier, i didn't look back...but is it a cover for the existing sail panel, or a new one altogether? i might be pretty interested if it's a whole new one, not sure what i would want to pay though.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
maybe this was mentioned earlier, i didn't look back...but is it a cover for the existing sail panel, or a new one altogether? i might be pretty interested if it's a whole new one, not sure what i would want to pay though.
It would be a full replacement, otherwise bubbles would come through...
Old 11-23-2008, 02:40 AM
On The Tree

For some reason it feels like Xmas...I can't wait to see what's under the tree. Hopefully, a CF targa & sail panel from 6LITER...or atleast by St. Patrick's Day. Don't forget to include Hawaii shipping for mine
Old 11-23-2008, 09:54 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I NEED a sail panel- mine is bubbling and looks hideous! I WANT a CF one so bad... I don't think this would be a difficult piece to manufacture at all. There is no complex surfaces or bends, its really pretty straight forward. Therefore, i dont see how this should cost a ton of money to produce. If it were priced reasonably, I would be the first one to jump on it. If i knew that the price was good, i'd even send a deposit now...
Old 11-23-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

ill jump on it(if the price is right) since you already know im getting one of the first targas from you
Old 11-23-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

looks great on the ZR1, but i'll have to see one on a F-body before i commit to anything. i'm WAY too picky about my exterior mods...
Old 11-23-2008, 11:55 AM
10 Second Club

Mine needs a sail panel. I'll take one if you make one. However, it may be worth doing one that is a CF clone, like the ones that get dipped so you can hit both the people wanting the authentic CF and would pay for it, and those looking for the looks but not as much of the $$.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Mine needs a sail panel. I'll take one if you make one. However, it may be worth doing one that is a CF clone, like the ones that get dipped so you can hit both the people wanting the authentic CF and would pay for it, and those looking for the looks but not as much of the $$.
Yeah, I am going to have pricing on fiberglass, fiberglass with one layer of CF and then a pure CF...

Anyone know of a place to get a new one cheaper than $400 BEFORE shipping (that was gmpartsdirect.com)?

Just trying to get an idea on prices... If we can't make one cheaper than the factory then it is pointless...
Old 11-25-2008, 12:37 AM
Banned

Alright so here's what we're looking at (all prices are BEFORE shipping, paypal fees, tax if you are in CA, etc...)...

Fiberglass replacement panel $300-$350 Best I could tell this is still at LEAST $50-$100 cheaper than even GM Parts direct, the dealer I went today wanted almost $700...

Carbon Fiber top layer with fiberglass base $500-$600 Benefit to this is you don't have to spend money on paint...

FULL Carbon Fiber $700-$800 I don't see the point in this but if you are a die hard carbon fiber enthusiast and have to have it we will make it. It is expensive because it would take about 1300 sq in of fabric.

Swamped with other production right now but could have this going full swing by the spring if we had enough interest.

We would need a few pioneers to commit in advance site unseen. Now, we would do this AFTER we bring to you (the F-Body community) our full Targa Top which is pure Carbon Fiber so you can see that our guy Jason does great work.

The risk, sending hard earned money for a product not made yet. The gain, obviously the first people will get a discount and we will share the cost of production (in other words some of our money goes into your sail panels so you get them cheaper than our cost, let alone after we add profit to cover time and labor). At the least you would get the low side of the above quoted prices, paypal fees (but not tax or shipping) included.

SO, the rest is up to you guys/gals. I'm just an enthusiast who has been pretty good at getting a few things made and wouldn't offer this if I didn't think it could get made and made well. I know it can sound scary but it is all I can offer and, to be honest, it is the only offer to see these made on the table... So, once again, the fate of the production sail panel is in your hands

Who's interested in being on the "ready to pay after the first of the year (late January-early February) to get a product by spring (March)" list ?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

FYI 6LE..I got a replacement on ebay for my old camaro for around 120 shipped. It was brand new.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:35 AM
TECH Resident

I dont think theres enough interest or reason for this product. The people saying that they are in, will indefinitely be price sensitive and if they are not willing to pay factory replacement price, they cant afford the CF one.

2. This product will not weigh any less than the factory on made of fiberglass, dont kid yourself, if you wanna save weight look elsewhere.

3. The tolerances are going to vary widely unless someone has the equipment to vacuum form this piece, which would add to the cost.

4. whats the point in wrapping the factory one in CF, if you are concerned with weight. Sounds like a step back to me. Stickers are an even worse idea, as the "stick on" carbon fiber which is completely flat and superthin will not go around the corners or the angles of most of the top anyways........ The stuff that will wrap around is just vinyl and contains no carbon fiber whatsoever.

5. you have to think of the time/money involved to remove the factory panel in order install the new one. For those of you who are price sensitive, this means much more $$$ than a new Gm panel costs. The panel does not simply unbolt or unclip, you have to break it to remove it.

For those of you who have the time/ money to do a complete replacement, its great that you do something different, but I highly doubt many people will put their money where their mouth is when the time comes.

GOOD luck
Old 11-25-2008, 02:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ultraz
I dont think theres enough interest or reason for this product. The people saying that they are in, will indefinitely be price sensitive and if they are not willing to pay factory replacement price, they cant afford the CF one.

2. This product will not weigh any less than the factory on made of fiberglass, dont kid yourself, if you wanna save weight look elsewhere.

3. The tolerances are going to vary widely unless someone has the equipment to vacuum form this piece, which would add to the cost.

4. whats the point in wrapping the factory one in CF, if you are concerned with weight. Sounds like a step back to me. Stickers are an even worse idea, as the "stick on" carbon fiber which is completely flat and superthin will not go around the corners or the angles of most of the top anyways........ The stuff that will wrap around is just vinyl and contains no carbon fiber whatsoever.

5. you have to think of the time/money involved to remove the factory panel in order install the new one. For those of you who are price sensitive, this means much more $$$ than a new Gm panel costs. The panel does not simply unbolt or unclip, you have to break it to remove it.

For those of you who have the time/ money to do a complete replacement, its great that you do something different, but I highly doubt many people will put their money where their mouth is when the time comes.

GOOD luck
Which is why there is no way in hell we're just going to make this without committed buyers... Making it with factory tolerances is not a problem though, however with multiple other projects only looking to take on something people will buy, call us crazy

Regardless, I see plenty of reasons people would want any three of the options...

1) People have bubbling roofs GM isn't doing crap about and (besides the ultra rare ebay deal, I couldn't find one on there) they can save a little money here...

2) Some people like the way CF looks but want REAL CF (not a sticker) either have a roof to fix or just want something different to to do their 6-15 year old car to make it stand out at a show or on the street...

3) Some people really like their cars and want to update every inch they can with something better and while the 1lb. they save may not be much getting to say, "No, its pure CF." puts a smile on their face

So, if peeps want it we'll make it but this isn't a tire kicking window shopping project... We're just offering to do it for the people that really want it. People don't really want it we could care less. Here to meet a need, if there is no need there is no us trying to meet it
Old 11-25-2008, 06:31 AM
TECH Resident

Are those prices just for a sail panel on a T-top car or for a hardtop?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:05 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good lord! at $500 im out... If the first people to put a down payment get a better price than that PM me...
Old 11-25-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

I'm very interested in the regular sail panel for 300-350. How much would shipping be ballpark? How much would it cost ballpark for a shop to install it for me?
Old 11-25-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ you could just got o gm parts direct and get it there.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Banned

From Jason (the manufacturer):

"Everything I make for you that is carbon is vacuum bagged. Even these Z28 badges are vacuum bagged. I leave them in the mold for a couple days to do a post cure when at all practical to increase strength. The parts are also sprayed with a UV resistant clear to help keep the epoxy from yellowing and all the molds are made off of parts that are known to fit a real fbody."

In other words, the piece will be high quality with no issues for those who want it...
Old 11-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
^^^ you could just got o gm parts direct and get it there.
$400 before shipping though unless I have the wrong PN...
Old 11-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sunset01SS
Are those prices just for a sail panel on a T-top car or for a hardtop?
T-top...

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Guys