Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling my hair out.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:29 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well since your the only Idahonian on this board thats active ill do some legwork for you. Ill call around tommorow after class and go take alook for you.

Its a 2 peice cable from what I rember, it might have come apart on the inside.

Again, Does the trans itself come out of gear or the gear designator in the car?

Tony.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

air hammer works great for getting the bolts out! just have to angle it on the side of the bolt to loosen them.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Well since your the only Idahonian on this board thats active ill do some legwork for you. Ill call around tommorow after class and go take alook for you.

Its a 2 peice cable from what I rember, it might have come apart on the inside.

Again, Does the trans itself come out of gear or the gear designator in the car?

Tony.
The gear shifter/designator inside the car will move but wont put the transmission in gear. We put the car on a 2 point lift, lifted it up with me inside and my friend underneath. Fired the car up and he shifted it into
P-R-N-[D]-D-3-2-1 FROM the transmission. Everytime i gave it gas, the wheels moved, and my reverse lights came on. So we know that it has to be a linkage problem. My only concern is i had to give it 14-1500 rpms before the tires started moving. This because of my higher stall? Also if the cable did come apart from the inside is it just a matter of putting it back together? I will go to work tomarow and pull off the console. Thanks -Zack

Originally Posted by True Performance
air hammer works great for getting the bolts out! just have to angle it on the side of the bolt to loosen them.
I take it you got them out that way? We just welded a nut on/over mine and they twisted right out.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:42 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How big is your stall? You will have to give more throttle to get the car moving now because of the converter. But you should be able to shift it fine.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

3800 Stall. But it should drive pretty tight considering the 2.55 STR.

Went in to work today and froze my *** off sitting in the car and pulled the console off. I have a video on my phone to show you but i don't have my phone cable with me to hook up to a computer(at my GF's).

But everything looked to be working fine, but i did have a talk with my Diesel Tech Instructor from high school and our mechanic at work and they both told me there is a way to adjust the cable close to the tranny and they both think thats why it won't engage in gear but we can manually shift it from the trans.

The way they explained it, it is the piece fairly close to the actual part that connects to the tranny. Its about 6 Inches away. I wish i had a way to show you what i was talkin about. I just don't know how its adjusted. I want to see if this is the actual problem before i go out and buy a new one.

Do you know what piece I/They are talking about?

The damn car is almost dead so i couldn't fire it up and get it moving to see the actual function from underneath the console with it off. It also has about 2-3 feet of snow on top of it and around it. Anyway get back to me Tony. - Zack
Old 12-17-2008, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any ideas?