Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling my hair out.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling my hair out.

Hey guys, well tonight me and a buddy started tearing into the Z28, which now layeth in pieces. Hah. Seems like all that could go wrong, well did.

Everything went smooth until it was time to pull out the flywheel-converter bolts. We still can't get them out. Not to mention one is stripped. We ended up getting one out by heating it with a torch and then getting it out.

We could literally almost hang on the ratchet(didn't) and they wouldnt even budge. They aren't loctited in because we did get one out. Why are they so damn tight?

Also is there anyway we can get the stripped one out. We have tried the torch and vise grips. I don't want to try an air hammer because i would rather not have to buy a new flywheel. Anyhow ill be going to pick up some new bolts at a dealership tomarow but whatever suggestions you have feel free to shoot them to me.

I'm just so frusterated at this point. I could hardly stand to look at my car when we left the shop. I dont understand why they are so tight. He did his stall at about 108k miles in his T/A and he said his came out rather easily.

Anyway ill end my rant.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:58 AM
11 Second Club

Are the bolts your trying to get out the ones that hold the converter on the flexplate? I see in your sig that you have a new converter in that case i would just get a die grinder with a cut off wheel in there and cut the head of the bolt off.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^Yep those would be the bolts. We were going to do that BUT we are working in a tight area with the trans still up in the car.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:39 AM
11 Second Club

its gonna be a tight fit but im sure you could get in there or hell just cut head off with the torch. but you may ruin your flywheel with the torch.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i think i have an extra set of converter bolts laying around from my stall install. the new one came with new bolts. pm me if you want em, it would take a few days to get them to ya.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1_K1DD
Hey guys, well tonight me and a buddy started tearing into the Z28, which now layeth in pieces. Hah. Seems like all that could go wrong, well did.

Everything went smooth until it was time to pull out the flywheel-converter bolts. We still can't get them out. Not to mention one is stripped. We ended up getting one out by heating it with a torch and then getting it out.

We could literally almost hang on the ratchet(didn't) and they wouldnt even budge. They aren't loctited in because we did get one out. Why are they so damn tight?

Also is there anyway we can get the stripped one out. We have tried the torch and vise grips. I don't want to try an air hammer because i would rather not have to buy a new flywheel. Anyhow ill be going to pick up some new bolts at a dealership tomarow but whatever suggestions you have feel free to shoot them to me.

I'm just so frusterated at this point. I could hardly stand to look at my car when we left the shop. I dont understand why they are so tight. He did his stall at about 108k miles in his T/A and he said his came out rather easily.

Anyway ill end my rant.
A long extension, one that puts you in front of the k-member, will allow you better acess to the bolts. Also, try PB blaster, some heat, a six point socket, and see if you can get an impact gun on them.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
i think i have an extra set of converter bolts laying around from my stall install. the new one came with new bolts. pm me if you want em, it would take a few days to get them to ya.
Thanks for the offer man, i really do appreciate it. But earlier today i ran to a stealership and paid $21 for 3 new ones

Thanks for the offer none the less.

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
A long extension, one that puts you in front of the k-member, will allow you better acess to the bolts. Also, try PB blaster, some heat, a six point socket, and see if you can get an impact gun on them.
We got an impact gun on one, all that did was strip it. It wasn't even close to stripped. Put the gun on it and it stripped out. I don't get how they can be so tight.

We also got pretty easy access to them they just honestly won't budge. We have one out. One is not stripped. And one is stripped. How can we get the stripped one out without screwing up my flywheel?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Teching In

i am doing a a4 to m6 swap on my car, same thing happened to me with the TC bolts. got one out and stripped 2 of them, going to try to grind down 2 sides of the bolt to get some vise grips or something on there... such a pain in the *** this is.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by True Performance
i am doing a a4 to m6 swap on my car, same thing happened to me with the TC bolts. got one out and stripped 2 of them, going to try to grind down 2 sides of the bolt to get some vise grips or something on there... such a pain in the *** this is.
I don't understand how they can be so tight. My buddy and a couple other peolpe who have swapped them said they usually just come right out. We were going to try a grinder but i don't want to buy a new flywheel and its extremely close to touching my cooler lines.

Anyone else have any other ideas?
Old 12-10-2008, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

I encountered the same problem this past weekend when I installed a converter in a friends SS. I ended up getting the next size down socket and hammering it on the bolt. Then I kept tapping the back of the wrench to keep it seated as I broke it loose. Does that make sense? I had the original bolts from my car that we put back in his with blue loctite. It worked, but it took some time and patience. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
I encountered the same problem this past weekend when I installed a converter in a friends SS. I ended up getting the next size down socket and hammering it on the bolt. Then I kept tapping the back of the wrench to keep it seated as I broke it loose. Does that make sense? I had the original bolts from my car that we put back in his with blue loctite. It worked, but it took some time and patience. Good luck.
Somewhat. You hammered the next size down ON the bolts? Mine are the 5/16 allen wrench bolts. Well the head of the bolt is round and the inside is a 5/16 allen wrench fitting. Does that make sense? Were his not like that?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Those Bolts suck ***, get in there with an air hammer and be carefull. I have done many transmissions and I have to get the air hammer out on at least 1 of them on almost every car I have done, good luck. Get a long chisel bit and hit one side, probably 2-3 hits and its loose
Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

weld a nut on them then turn them with a socket wrench.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Teching In

This is what I am going to be doing... ive tried 4 other methods for getting these things off. A buddy of mine who can weld is going to weld a nut on there tomorrow, crossing my fingers this is it lol
Old 12-11-2008, 02:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mechanic at my work suggested this today as well. So ill be trying this.

Originally Posted by True Performance
This is what I am going to be doing... ive tried 4 other methods for getting these things off. A buddy of mine who can weld is going to weld a nut on there tomorrow, crossing my fingers this is it lol
Crossing mine as well. Good Luck.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1_K1DD
Somewhat. You hammered the next size down ON the bolts? Mine are the 5/16 allen wrench bolts. Well the head of the bolt is round and the inside is a 5/16 allen wrench fitting. Does that make sense? Were his not like that?

His bolts were different...they had the allen grooves on the inside and had a regular bolt head on the outside. I think they were 9/16", but don't quote me on that. The bolts I put back in were the style you described. They were original bolts out of my car.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man i had a same issue, but i welded a bolt to the stripped bolt, and got it out that way... After i did that 4months later i destroyed my $600 torque conveter due to a bent flexplate, which i think was because of the heat i put on it which bent it.. so i suggest buying a new flexplate if i were you.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
man i had a same issue, but i welded a bolt to the stripped bolt, and got it out that way... After i did that 4months later i destroyed my $600 torque conveter due to a bent flexplate, which i think was because of the heat i put on it which bent it.. so i suggest buying a new flexplate if i were you.
Exactly what i don't want to do is buy a new flexplate. Maybe you exposed the flexplate to the heat a little to much. I don't really think it would affect it enough to bend it, but i could be wrong. Maybe ill give her a try like you did maybe ill buy a new one.

Did you weld the nut around the bolt or did you fill in the bolt when you welded it(what ill be doing). I figure if i do it that way the weld will be stronger and wont even touch the flexplate but it will heat the bolt up enough to loosen it up as well.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well theres a company on ebay that sells a cheap heavy duty flexplate on there that isnt a peice of ****... pm if you want a link.

either way id go ahead and replace the flexplate, they arent too much.