Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did any of you guys who have done the tq arm relocation notice a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did any of you guys who have done the tq arm relocation notice a difference?

I'm just wondering if you noticed a difference in shift firmness etc etc? Other then the fact that it's not on the transmission anymore LOL. I'm getting one from bmr tommorrow I just need to get the adjustable tq arm next.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the shifts feel a lot better especially under hard accelerations
Old 02-04-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed so much of a difference that I took the
relocating crossmember back out and gave it
away. Rattled the cabin pretty bad and could
not get it to quit with several nights of messing
with driveline angles.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got the BMR tq arm relocation bracket and man it is bad ***
Old 02-05-2009, 10:53 PM
11 Second Club

Massive!!
Old 02-05-2009, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by onebadazzls1ta
I just got the BMR tq arm relocation bracket and man it is bad ***

Im thinkin of this also.I have also heard of excessive noise/vibration though.Whats ur opinion?
Old 02-06-2009, 07:16 AM
11 Second Club

I have a Yank Crossmember. You have to really spend time setting the Pinion angle's correctly. I am also running a poly tranny mount. It's vibrates a little and I have an occasional clunk over bumps, but it's not bad. I did spend a lot of time setting the angles though, at first it did vibrate a lot.

It didn't change the shift feel at all, I do think the BMR setup is a little better as it gives you adjustablility, but the Yank piece is a lot less and did what I needed it to do.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok now let me ask you this for those of us runnin bmr stuff is the pinion angle going to be the same on every car? I mean once you put it in and dont mess with anything will it read the same has any other car if you use an angle finder?
Old 02-06-2009, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

Depends on what point you mount the arm on, BMR is adjustable, either mount won't exactly leave the angle like it was using the stock tranny mount. I would never get a crossmember mount without an adj ta. Every car is different, geometry can be thrown off by weight, control arm, springs, wheels, rear end type. Do yourself a favor and get the adj arm first.

IMHO I wouldn't do the TA relocation unless you plan to race the car a lot. gears, real tires, etc... If it's just a 400hp cruiser I wouldn't bother, but if you wanna go cut sub 1.6's at the track or you got a high HP setup it's good insurance.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Depends on what point you mount the arm on, BMR is adjustable, either mount won't exactly leave the angle like it was using the stock tranny mount. I would never get a crossmember mount without an adj ta. Every car is different, geometry can be thrown off by weight, control arm, springs, wheels, rear end type. Do yourself a favor and get the adj arm first.

IMHO I wouldn't do the TA relocation unless you plan to race the car a lot. gears, real tires, etc... If it's just a 400hp cruiser I wouldn't bother, but if you wanna go cut sub 1.6's at the track or you got a high HP setup it's good insurance.
Good advice!!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the only reason why my tail shaft broke is i cant keep my foot out of it I'm always out racing around I try to be gentle with her but it always doesnt work out tht way LOL. Yeahhhhh.....chasing down a jag xj8 will do that LOL this all happened when I was doing 100mph on 95. Thats the reason for me to get the tq arm relocation mount because I didnt want it to happen again. Trust me if you guys say get the adjustable one I will, Another thing what happens if the pinion angle is off other then massive vibebration?
Old 02-06-2009, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by onebadazzls1ta
Another thing what happens if the pinion angle is off other then massive vibebration?
You could bind up the geometry of the car, it will handle weird. It's like driving the car with the suspension all loaded up or unloaded depending on the extreme. Alos it effects the driveline angle so you could potentially loose power through some ineficiently driveshaft transfer if it's fighting the angle too much.

Too little angle and the nose of the car will dive when you brake and you will have real crappy weight transfer to the rear. You gotta find the sweet spot. Mine is about -1.5. It used to be -2 before the crossmember and 12 bolt.

I don't know how the heck you broke a tailshaft mount on the street? that's weird.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

a little more info man, what kinda power have you got? drag race, auto cross? A4 or M6? I used to work on lifted 4wd's and yeah, i agree, youll prob get a vibration if its off. Seriousness depends on how far off the angle is. If its off bad then for sure the suspension will feel like its alot stiffer or alot softer. it doesnt make sense but it is what it is. like has been said already, you gotta play with it.

Measure the angle before you even start the install, measure with the suspension loaded and unloaded. write it down, swap the kit in. That should give you a good starting refrence.
I did that every single lift kit i put on big or small. got to the point i could tell who would come back for an indexing ring and who wouldnt. ( indexing ring rotates the transfer case to lessen drive shaft angles. 2wd's dont apply)
Old 02-07-2009, 06:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok got it, It's beyond me how I managed to crack it but i did.