Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI torque converter issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCI torque converter issues?

I am having a lot of problems and want to make sure none of them problems are coming from anywhere else besides the torque converter which is being put back to stock.

1. Car shakes between 1,500 and 2,000rpm. This happens in Park, Drive and OD. Which is between about 60-75mph. This happens regardless of the torque converter being locked, it will shake locked in 4th or accelerating from a stop.

2. Car shakes when decelerating especially while converter is locked in 4th. Converter will unlock while pressing on brakes, but will lock it self again without giving the car any gas, after releasing brakes.

3. If put in neutral while going 60-75mph or so car shakes much less.

4. Torque converter grinds on lockup while on light throttle (2k+ rpm), also slips while locked under moderate throttle.

Possible problems besides torque converter = flexplate, transmission mounts, and motor mounts? What else should I be concerned about? Do you think it's just the converter?

I appreciate any help here as this is my daily driver.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 195 Likes on 164 Posts

#4 is your biggest concern because it's evidence that your lock-up clutch is going away. If it disintegrates, it will fill your tranny with bits and pieces of clutch material, necessitating a complete overhaul.

I would pull the converter immediately, have it checked for balance, and cut open for clutch inspection. Or just replace it.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Thanks I figured that was the worse, it was the worse sounding one for sure. It's in the shop but they haven't dropped the transmission yet, I have a stock converter that is going to go in.

Could any of these problems be cause by a bad tcc solenoid?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Pontiacerator

I suppose it's possible, but unlikely since TCI's are known to have a history of clutch failure. The tranny shop should be able to test the solenoid.

I would recommend having a Transgo HD-2 shift kit installed when your tranny is out, if the shop is competent to do it and you can afford it. The revised TCC valve in the kit gives a much more positive clutch apply and will potentially prolong the life of your clutch. But if you're staying with the stock converter, it wouldn't matter so much.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

I read an entire thread on this forum where people kept posting that their TCI was failing on lock up and sometimes resulting in a damaged transmission.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Banned

It could be any or all of the above.
I ran a TCI for a week. When it locks up and you give it just enough gas to accelerate but not unlock it sounds like rocks grinding, thats just the 4 cylinder friction material slipping (more like chattering).

If you put it in neutral and the vibrations stop or become less, then it's something attached to the engine, like the torque converter.

You should be able to duplicate the problem by revving it in park, holding a cruise rpm.

All thats still not guaranteed though, when you're driving your engine and trans mounts may be under more stress than they are when sitting.

I'd normally say rev it up in park, if it vibrates unbolt the converter and do it again. If it goes away, you're almost guaranteed a converter problem. Your shop should know to do this I guess if you told them to look for a vibration, it sounds like you told them to do nothing but put the stock converter back in.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

I told them about the noise on lockup and lockup problems. And to just replace the torque converter (with stock one I supplied), but to check the trans also to make sure everything is working.

I just have not had good experiences with shops around here. I know the owner of this transmission shop so I'm hoping they do a good job.

I think I need to be more careful with my daily driver from now on.

This shop it's at now didn't install the TCI converter. I had it installed at another shop about 6 months ago. I decided not to go back to that shop because they improperly installed a gasket for my intake manifold causing the car to idle badly. Delt with that for months until I decided to just check everything over myself.

Last edited by epox4life; 02-25-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Update the trans shop just called and said there was play between the converter and the flexplate. They are still working on it.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Stock converter in and all is working great. Car feels faster also.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Pontiacerator

Car feels faster stock? Maybe at tip-in and very light throttle when compared to a healthy converter. At about 20% and up throttle your 3500 stall should have felt much faster.

If you have the TCI balance checked and/or cut open and inspected, post up the results.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

The TCI pulled harder from a stop, but was out of balance so much it was causing scary shaking.

But the stock seems to have more power up top at higher speeds, maybe slipping less losing less power?

Quick Reply: TCI torque converter issues?