Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6l80e

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 6l80e

Ok so tis been a while since I've seen any updated info on these transmissions.

Does anyone beef these up yet for high hp cars?

What kinda power are people making using this transmission? Failures if any?

Looking at an 06 C6 for a project car possibly since the CTS-V is proving to be more and more of a pain in the ***.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious to hear more about the 6L80E as well. I have a G8 and am looking to run a 500rwhp GenTT kit possibly. The 6L80E transmission is in the Escalade as well from what I remember. The Escalade is a 6000lb vehicle with just over 400 hp and trq. The G8 weighs a ton (literally) less, the C6 weighs about 2700lbs less...
Old 03-04-2009, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

the trucks(1/2 ton and 3/4 ton) and the cadillac cts-v got the 6L90E,, the G8 and the 2010 camaro and 2007+ corvette's have the 6L80E, they are very simular but the 90 has heavier duty parts and is a few mm longer than the 80E

the 80E is holding up well in many 500hp+ vettes so far, and the 90E shouldnt be too hard of a swap if needed

Last edited by jay_lt4; 03-04-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

The 6l90e is larger in diameter, length and weight. It challenging to package under most newer cars. 6l80e can handle 500 hp engine if the calibrations are working properly.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

good to hear, or at elast for a while

Looknig for 600+rwhp in the vette. So who builds these 6L80E trannys? Are there any parts at all to beef them up yet?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:56 AM

There are some that charge extra to build them up. But the only current upgrades I have seen thus far are Raybestos friction material. If you need one rebuilt We can handle those no problem
Old 03-05-2009, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

well we may need to have one built not sure yet. I've been researching several cars for a project car we are going to buy sometime around may after our house is done being repaired. I've researched the CTS-V and decided it's a no go for lack of parts available and the piece of **** rear end. Went and looked at brand new lancer evo GS and a new STi. but so far We are leaning towards an 06 C6 A6 hence the tranny question.

I wanna know for sure that if we do go the vette route we wont run into problems pushing big power and breaking things that arent being upgraded yet.

so while im at it heres a question. Say we did get one and we need it built; *about* how much would it cost to build it up to stand up to a procharged C6 running in the 10's?
Old 03-05-2009, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

I just left Livernois Motorsports and they had 4 G-8s getting goodies. They have a nice program for the trannies. They were just about to tune one with a Maggie on it.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

im a bit behind the times. what do you mean by "programs"? I take it that its just tuning for line pressure and shift points?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tptransmission
The 6l90e is larger in diameter, length and weight. It challenging to package under most newer cars. 6l80e can handle 500 hp engine if the calibrations are working properly.
I'm seeing a lot of variance on hp/trq handling quotes. I've seen what GM rates this trans at. I've seen a lot of others quote some pretty high numbers. A friend with a TT (560rwhp) G8 has been running around for 14k miles and it's holding so far. These aren't 14k miles with 10 WOT pulls either. He doesn't "abuse" it from every light, but he gets on it every single day. I would be interested in hearing from those who have experienced 6L80E failure in a G8 and around how many miles were on the transmission post-modifications and how much power the car was making. I'm thinking of TT-ing my car but I'm wanting to get a better feel on what the trans will LIKELY hold for a while (say 30-40k miles of daily driven weekday ease and weekend fun). The part that worries me is that there is no real aftermarket support with signifcant upgrading of the trans yet. If the trans goes, then what?

Anyone with failure..please chime in.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Another quick question...TPTransmission, how much is a 6L80E rebuild running?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by BoostedToy
Another quick question...TPTransmission, how much is a 6L80E rebuild running?
Just a base rebuild would run around $1500. To answer your previous question I have seen the 6l80e handle 500-600 hp. You have to realize when the factory rates transmission they have a target of 100,000 miles without failing in most cases. The majority of the cars that are making 500- 600 RHP do not necessarily get it all to the ground. As I often state tires are your torque limiter. Seldom does all that energy get absorbed by the transmission. As for calibrations and software, it is internal to the transmission and no one has made any significant gains in modifying it.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Teching In

I appreciate the info. It's not easy finding a wealth of info on this transmission. Is it out of the question with to fit a 6L90E into the G8 trans tunnel with minor modifications (a little mallet action..etc.)?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

so $1500 for just a plain jane rebuild, or a rebuild with some upgrades?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Teching In

I think 1,500 was for the stock rebuild. Not sure how much the raybestos friction material would cost. TPTransmission may correct me on that though. With the friction material, approximately how much powerhandling is the higher friction material worth? Also, has anyone made it into this transmission yet to increase line pressure? It would seem like leaving torque management in place but adding some line pressure may increase hp handling capacity as well. Any thoughts on this?

I appreciate any/all info on this transmission. There is a lot of uncertainty with folks with a 6L80E vehicle who are looking to go the FI route. With no massive aftermarket overhaul apparently available, it makes the decision to add power a tough one. All/any information is appreciated.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by BoostedToy
I think 1,500 was for the stock rebuild. Not sure how much the raybestos friction material would cost. TPTransmission may correct me on that though. With the friction material, approximately how much powerhandling is the higher friction material worth? Also, has anyone made it into this transmission yet to increase line pressure? It would seem like leaving torque management in place but adding some line pressure may increase hp handling capacity as well. Any thoughts on this?

I appreciate any/all info on this transmission. There is a lot of uncertainty with folks with a 6L80E vehicle who are looking to go the FI route. With no massive aftermarket overhaul apparently available, it makes the decision to add power a tough one. All/any information is appreciated.

The Raybestos material will only give a slight increase in power. If you leave the Torque Manage in place it pretty much protect the clutches. The shaft and gear sets are a whole different concern that no one I know of is working on. I have not heard of any hard part problems. Just the problem of how to control it. Increasing pressure is not that simple in a clutch to clutch transmission. You can increase line pressure but each cluctch is control by a PWM solenoid so they have the overall control of clutch pressure.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Teching In

My 6L80 out of my C6 is at Rossler right now, I told them I was getting ready to put 800hp Flywheel in it, and Carl said he didn't see a problem. The Livernois trannies are done by Rossler. I should have mine back in a few days, and will be able to see how well it holds up to 510rwhp and 510rwtq, with a 3200rpm stall. Rossler seems to be a great shop I even called Livernois and they said that after they had sent tranny's to Rossler, they didn't have any more problems.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by sheesnaz
My 6L80 out of my C6 is at Rossler right now, I told them I was getting ready to put 800hp Flywheel in it, and Carl said he didn't see a problem. The Livernois trannies are done by Rossler. I should have mine back in a few days, and will be able to see how well it holds up to 510rwhp and 510rwtq, with a 3200rpm stall. Rossler seems to be a great shop I even called Livernois and they said that after they had sent tranny's to Rossler, they didn't have any more problems.
510 RWH is not a problem for the 6l80e. The calibrations pretty much keep the clutch energies and input torque down to a manageable level. So I would wonder what you are paying for.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

wow 510rwhp is a pretty good amount comapred to what the old 4l60e could hold for sure
Old 03-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Teching In

510 RWH is not a problem for the 6l80e. The calibrations pretty much keep the clutch energies and input torque down to a manageable level. So I would wonder what you are paying for.
It sounds like the 6L80E may be able to handle 500rwhp for a while. At what points have we seen failure at? Granted, it was only X amount of passes, but the HOB TT G8 was making 650rwhp or so (it trapped 130mph!) and no report of trans slipping. I wouldn't expect this trans to last at that level for an extended period of time, but at 500rwhp, it may last for a while based on what we've seen/heard (which isn't a LOT...relatively new trans). Thoughts?

Quick Reply: 6l80e