Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is my trans or verter toast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well guys, the saga is over...the trans is DEFINITELY toast...its barely driveable now. slips horribly and i can barely get it up to speed, its over! lol now the question is...is my converter still okay do you think?
Old 05-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FiFdYnUtz
well guys, the saga is over...the trans is DEFINITELY toast...its barely driveable now. slips horribly and i can barely get it up to speed, its over! lol now the question is...is my converter still okay do you think?
That sucks. It sounds to me like the tune caused the failure. I'd be pretty pissed at the tuner.
Like I said in the email or somewhere, my trans would go into limp mode and be gone in a short time with the tune that was posted here. But I was logging from the second the converter went in, and caught it fairly quick.

You'll be best to send the converter to the manufacturer for a cut and clean just to be sure it doesn't take out a new trans. Flush the cooler and lines.

And just as important you need to correct the tune before running the new trans.
And maybe log it when you first drive it.
Add the following PIDS:
Trans current gear
Time of latest 1-2 shift
Time of latest 2-3 shift
Time of latest 3-4 shift
Trans Temp F

Drive easy for about 5 miles or until a problem is picked up on the scanner.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, tyler, that sucks. But, we didnt drive the car enough to toast the trans, in the few hours of tuning we did, which eqauted to maybe 1.5 hours of drive time, if that?? But regardless, still drop the pan and check the filter out. As far as the trans tune being whack, i cant say there obviously, as i have no clue what to do in that department. Im going to lead to believe the trans was on its way out, and the new stall just helped it. It did the same thing on the first tune we tried, which was a speed inc trans tune for the like tranny and converter. Also, I do have a question. When you say it was in limp mode, which gears does it use? It was shifting into all 3 gears and OD when we were test driving it. On the dig run we did, it shifted 1-2-3. IDK, shitty deal regardless.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Banned

One of you guys said the converter would lock and unlock at random.
Limp mode also makes the converter stop locking up until it's shut off, so it was in limp mode. You may have felt it shift 2, 3, 4 then the misfire tables or whatever set limp mode and you continued driving without realizing. Again it was said that the converter stopped locking up. I drove mine 5-10 minutes before it would go into limp mode, and with a stall that high it'll still move pretty good starting out in 2nd or 3rd, it'll just stall real high which was also mentioned.

The tune caused the trans problem IMO.

You said you sent me the engine part of the tune that you were using but not the trans part.
The misfire detection being set to stock caused my trans to go into limp mode, I'd assume it did the same to this trans and took it out.

1.5 hours of drive time? I found my trans acting up in less than 10 minutes, I can't imagine what an hour could do.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

ok, cool. Well then the speed inc trans tune we originally put into the car was whacked too then. When we did out initial ENGINE tuning, we were using a speed inc trans tune. I coppied everything from them over, then after engine tuning, which is the one up above we started messing with trans. Also, the misfire code went away after the first flash of the tune during engine tuning. Wouldnt it throw a misfire code, or no???
Old 05-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Banned

I never got a misfire code, never got a flashing check engine light, it went to limp mode several times. I maxed out the misfire tables, put that tune in and everything worked fine as far as shifting and lock up. After that I continued to fine tune it.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

checked the fluid today...BLACK, gritty, and very smelly...ut oh
Old 05-04-2009, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

yum! you guys think my verter is toast?