Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to control 4l60e on trans dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to control 4l60e on trans dyno?

How are you guys controlling the 4l60e and electronic equivalent trannies on the dynos?
Old 09-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rickou812
How are you guys controlling the 4l60e and electronic equivalent trannies on the dynos?
A couple of switches in a homebuilt box.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slow67
A couple of switches in a homebuilt box.
Any diagrams or instructions to do this?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2009, 07:41 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any diagrams or instructions to do this?

Thanks
I would PM performabuilt on that info. I know that they use a home brewed box to do this. We use what is known in the industry as a Tranx 2000 box. Currently under new ownership by SuperFlow Technologies Group. This box works for a lot of different transmissions and is much more sophisticated than what is mentioned above.

With our control box it enables you to control the duty cycle of the lock up function and also the function of the pressure control solenoid. The cool part is you can do this in small increment's of pressure. Like a few psi!

Also there are other tests that can be preformed. One that we use that requires a meter is to check the manifold switch for the temp sensor. You can also check the electronic functions of the solenoids. This is done with a built in meter that reads ohms, volts and amps. We also can check the pressure functions of the manifold switch to make sure that the computer will see the correct data for which clutch circuits are seen depending on where the manual valve position is.

There are other control devises that will literally only have four settings and is kind of old school from what is used in the industry these days. Most good trans shops own what we have. Here is a picture of our test stand. On the lower right side of the picture you will see our Tranx box. Not the best picture but it is all I have.

Here is a link to some more info on it that I got by doing a quick search. Probably describes it better than I did. Here is the link.
http://www.zoom-tech.com/downloads/s...ages/intro.pdf

Here is another link to SuperFlow Technologies Group website. They make some really cool stuff. Check it out.
http://www.superflow.com/index.htm
Old 09-20-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

HPTuners.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:35 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
HPTuners.
How exactly would we use HP tuners with our trans dyno?
Old 09-20-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
How exactly would we use HP tuners with our trans dyno?
He didnt specify who he was talking to or what kind of dyno he was talking about. When I dyno'd my car, my tuner locked it in 3rd for the pull using a laptop and HPTuners..
Old 09-20-2009, 10:45 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

This is the title of the thread. How to control 4l60e on trans dyno? To me that is the blue machine in our shop. I just found your post a little off that is all. No biggie just I have never heard of it being used on a transmission dyno. Vince B
Old 09-20-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^ ah I guess I skipped that word in the title. Yeah I guess HPTuners would be a little cumbersome for a stand-alone trans dyno.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have any pics, but if you know how the electronics work, it is simple.

Shifter Position:

Solenoid/gear operation:

Old 09-22-2009, 05:18 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

The manifold switch data is not really going to help you unless you are looking to see where the manual valve is. IMO it is really only used for trans temp and so the computer knows where the shifter is. Now the power flow you posted on the second page will help if you are going to build a box to fire the a and b shift solenoids. The other things you will have to figure out is how to control the duty cycle for the pressure control solenoid and also the pwm lock up function.

Nice charts BTW straight from the hydramatic book. What edition do you have? Vince B
Old 09-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slow67
I don't have any pics, but if you know how the electronics work, it is simple.

Shifter Position:

Solenoid/gear operation:

ok now after looking at teh operating conditions( range reference chart) above, i do have a question...

i dont have 1st gear no mater what position the shifter is in for that matter the truck doesnt even move when put into gear.. only has reverse so we know the pump is good (right??)...this is a trans that has been gone through several times that no one can seem to find a problem with...performabuilt suggested it was either the low roller clutch or forward sprag assem...my question is this, say it is the lo roller clutch, should i still have a 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear that work still? or would not having low gear not let the trans get up and go into the other gears froma dead stop?

Quick Reply: How to control 4l60e on trans dyno?