Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80 guys out of 10 how noisy is your trans..

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 4l80 guys out of 10 how noisy is your trans..

I have some noise and vibrations issues in my car but think most of them are not directly related to the 4l80 but maybe several other things like now using poly trans mount,have to recheck pinion angle in adjustable torque arm. Have now that trans crossmember relocated torque arm. My new torque arm looks like its rubbing in tunnel, driveshaft likely needs new balance since put the turbo 400 yoke on it for the 4l80 swap,etc.

But just curious if you noticed much noise from your 4l80 compared to say your 4l60 or t56. I realzie the 4l80 is a bit sucker and is going to likely add some noise. Also wondering if maybe putting on the cast dust cover might help some.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't notice and difference with the dust cover. Only real noise from the 4L80 is a quiet whine in 1st gear. Vibrations are likely from the poly trans mount or driveline angle. Shouldnt need to rebalance driveshaft just from a new yoke.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

driveshaft is strange one got it when got the dana 60. So yeah just swapped the yoke didnt check balance and didn't get it rebalanced.
I am planning on new custom driveshaft soon anyway.

Am going to be putting car up today and going to recheck pinion angle. Also likely swap rubber trans mount back in and think also put on my mags and tires from my 96z28 as think have maybe unbalanced tire . I am also pretty sure need wheel alignment as it was good but then reinstalled new stock front springs got tired of the car lowered with our horrible roads and just for things like drive on hoists.etc.

Also have some torque arm interference to fix. So yeah if the trans usually just make bit of noise in first not loud roaring sounds then its of course not likely the trans.

I had some noises before the trans but did several things at once now..new torque arm,changed the driveshaft yoke,swapped the trans mount to prothane one..so makes it harder to know what did what.

Will report back later and see how things work out.

Wondering also if can use adjustable panhard rod to move my rear end over a bit to passenger side or does that mess up geometry? I have adjustable on my other car that can move over to my 99TT.

Oh and thanks for all the help on my trans questions SLOW67. I got my speedo much better now.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Gingervitis Addict

No problem

So you like the 4L80 now?
Old 11-08-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah I love it ! No more short shifts, misshifts ,hitting the limiter. No chance of the infamous 3 to 2. No pain in heavy traffic, no hassle on hills or going on drive ons.
No slaves to change out , masters to change out. No shifter rattle, floater rattle.t56 gear noises.No problems going into gears at high rpm. No risk of snappying tailshaft off the trans from stock torque arm mounting location.

Should be able to build decent boost on two step when get one hooked up and should launch decently hard with the yank stall.

Just that I want to take my car out and run some gtech type 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile times and all this racket the car is making past 60mph is scaring me. So yeah didn't think the 4l80 would be stupid stupid loud. And pretty sure there is nothing wrong with it..checked fluid levels carefully also. Its shifting properly and going into lockup properly.

One problem is it hits pretty hard when putting it in gear and park. Thinking maybe just try to lower idle a bit more. Its great idle at 800 or so, maybe try down another 50 or 100 since my cam is pretty mellow in the 408.Otherwise not sure if there is something can set in tuning to make it not clunk so hard when put it in into gear or park.

I have new ujoints so can't be that.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Th400s (and therefore 4L80es) are known for harsh reverse engagement. Just take your time when changing to and from reverse and it should be no big deal.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Out working on the car. So far master mechanic /best buddy noticed that the driveshaft going into back of trans was not level and at a bad angle. So shimmed up trans mount .Using mount that had before on the car think t56 and 4l60 were same think it was same as 1le or whatever.. anyway some fair sized shims got that to be straight.Also using as said rubber trans mount again.Don't see breakage problem with no torque arm on back of trans.
Also rechecked pinion angle and set it to negative one degree.
Then swapped on adjustable panhard rod and moving the rear end over a bit it was off center and am having contact issues with my bmr torque arm hitting trans tunnel.If moving over panhard don't solve issues then will possibly shave down this one offending bolt and may still have to go in there and clearance with the BFH!
Also have exhaust in back resting on heat shield that might also be tranmitting some noise.
Last thing likely going to do is swap out tires and mags. That will be about all will do today.Then drive it see if there is improvement. Ordering driveshaft likely still right away and if noise is still problem few other things to try. But don't think any of this noise is the 4l80 noise.

So what crossmember did you use SLOW? What trans mount? Did you shim the tranny mount or check to see things are level at trans and front yoke?
Are you running adjustable torque arm?
Some of my issues could be do to the dana 60 . But will work thru this stuff.Heck I expect just switch to rubber mount will cut the noises in car 95%
Old 11-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Gingervitis Addict

I used the Yank crossmember and a new stock rubber mount. Set driveline and to -2.5 degrees (all stock rubber suspension). Stock torque arm (adjusted pinion angle via my quicktime 9"). I didnt need to shim the trans.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok short test drive but didn't go over 50mph. Much better think about 90% from what was done today. Now think some of the noise is dana 60 decel noise. And maybe inevitable for the dana 60 to have decel whine. I may throw in different make of gears next spring and see if can get that even better. Next time won't run the rear end without personally checking the factories work.

So still some things to do on the to do list and still need to do a nice high speed to 100mph or beyond test.
But it seems a lot more liveable now. Auto sure makes the exhaust much quieter need a louder exhaust now and the turbos also quiet the exhaust down a lot.

Think order me up a nice corsa.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no more noticeable noise over the 60e.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any updates on this? I am getting the vibration noise at 60+mph shimmed the trans to 1/2" and my pinion is at 0deg and my driveshaft is +2deg (measured from passenger side to = -2deg) with the stock rubber mount with a yank crossmember and I still have crazy vibes. Any ideas?
Old 12-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by The Fugitive
any updates on this? I am getting the vibration noise at 60+mph shimmed the trans to 1/2" and my pinion is at 0deg and my driveshaft is +2deg (measured from passenger side to = -2deg) with the stock rubber mount with a yank crossmember and I still have crazy vibes. Any ideas?
I didn't have to shim my yank crossmember at all.

Quick Reply: 4l80 guys out of 10 how noisy is your trans..