Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLT CIR D STALL. Can flexplate be installed backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLT CIR D STALL. Can flexplate be installed backwards?

Im installing a stall and the gap I get using the drill bit method is more than 3/8 and less than a 7/16 bit. I want to know if it is possible to install it backwards or will it contact the block being obvious its on wrong. By the was its a catpower flexplate a little thicker than stock. I spent a lot of money on this set up and dont want to mess it up. cir d +4c and flt lvl 4.

Last edited by L SS 1; 04-30-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: .
Old 04-30-2010, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

I have my stock plate sitting here and it doesnt have those pads and neither does the new one. but that thanks for replying. I looked under the car again and im pretty sure i have it on correctly now because the middle part of the plate is offset to push it away from the block thats why i think it cant be installed backwards with out contacting the block.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You are correct, I replied this in your other thread.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

if i remember correctly, from the back of the block to the back of the ring gear teeth its like 7/16", gives the correct distance for the starter
Old 04-30-2010, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

yes thats it.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

make sure you use graded washers, not 20 cent ones from home depot. Make sure they say grade 8. you dont want cheap crap between your converter and flexplate.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:26 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This topic was brought to my attention yesterday by Andy here at FLT. A couple things I would like for you to cover for me. First off have you measured from the face of the bell to the converter bolt mounting pads? This should measure 1.125" from bellhousing to converter pads. As posted in this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...allations.html

Also have you been in contact with Chris to check what the build height on this converter should be? When you do this the converter needs to be placed on the converter hub. Then measure from the flat surface you have it on to the converter bolt mounting pad surface that would be bolted to the flexplate. I doubt this is the issue but it is one that needs to be looked at.

Also you have a new flexplate. Please take both plates and take some measurements. You could do this from the block to the converter pad mounting surface. Doing this with both plates. Or take both plates and do the same as you would with the converter to check the height. Something here is not right is what I'm guessing.

The only other thing that I would consider to be out of whack other than the three new components you are trying to install is crank shaft end play. This can be checked at the harmonic balancer. Using a pry bar see if the crank shaft is moving in the engine. This might be another cause as to why your measurements are out of spec.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Very good advice Vince. The LS style converter is 6.5" tall. I have spoken to L SS 1 on the phone and I think it is just one of those occasions where it need some shims. I have sent him a little package that should take care of him.

Chris
Old 06-09-2010, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys i have the car running again and so far its working but im getting code p0757 and wont move in drive and have to manualy shift. Is it safe to just erase the code with my scanner until i can get it tuned out. My tuner is out of town until next month. I would like to drive it around to some shops for paint work and subframe connectors.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Banned

This is a tuning issue and it needs to be resolved before you start driving that car. You will do damage to the 3-4 clutchpak very quickly.
Please call us.

Quick Reply: FLT CIR D STALL. Can flexplate be installed backwards?