Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues after converter install...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin01Z28
sending the trans into... well I call it limp mode. Trans will stay in third with no lockup. Only gear I can manunally select is second. 01's and 02's have the ability for second gear start I think. Put the shifter in OD or 1 does nothing. Ill pull over turn the car off, crank it back up and its fine.
My car did the exact same thing when I swapped a 3200 to a 4k without changing the tune.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My trans went into Limp Mode 3 times due to Heat. I installed the B&M Super Cooler 24K and never had a problem since. Did you install extra cooler with the converter?
Old 05-25-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by highgear
My trans went into Limp Mode 3 times due to Heat. I installed the B&M Super Cooler 24K and never had a problem since. Did you install extra cooler with the converter?
I've been running the B&M Super Cooler 29K with the radiator bypassed since I bought the car. I also have the 24K. Im gonna install it too. It gets hot as hell here.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Mine is definitely tune related, bc you could throw it into limp mode deliberately once you know how it works and what causes it. If you lift the throttle, let it shift to third and then lay into it pretty good in 3rd and the converter flairs up pretty good, it will stay in 3rd from that point on, utilizing 2nd gear starts until you cycle the ignition.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Got my pcm back yesterday with the codes deleted and increased tcc duty cycle. No limp mode, but the converter still slips once its locked if I accelerate. I dont really think that I should have to raise the pressure at low cruise as a temporary fix. I think I can still drive it as long as I ease on the gas during lockup, it wont slip. Everything else is fine.

Ill update when I get around to pulling the trans...

Last edited by Kevin01Z28; 08-16-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Update: Chris sent me a brand new converter, still the same slip. So far I have been wrong about everything lol.

What I know is not causing the issue: Converter, tune, lock up o-ring (I was really hoping that was the problem)

Im completely lost. I had no issues until I installed the converter. Does the pressure control solenoid control line pressure at lock up, or is there a valve or something in the valve body that regulates line pressure at lock up and could be leaking/loosing pressure? Could the tcc solenoid leak and cause this problem? I thought it was just on/off. Any more ideas welcome... Thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 09:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Ours is set up to be simply on and off. No PWM so that would not be and issue. Possibly the TCC valve or solenoid coul have gotten trash in then particulary the tcc solenoid as something could possibly have wedged in the solenoid perhaps.
The presure control does affect lockup hold however if the shifts are as they should be this is not likley and issue.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-17-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Ours is set up to be simply on and off. No PWM so that would not be and issue. Possibly the TCC valve or solenoid coul have gotten trash in then particulary the tcc solenoid as something could possibly have wedged in the solenoid perhaps.
The presure control does affect lockup hold however if the shifts are as they should be this is not likley and issue.
Shifts are still firm as always. Ill give you a call when I get some time to mess with it again. Thanks
Old 08-20-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should not need a Tune for that low of a stall. Your "Limp Mode" is caused by excessive heat. Do you have a trans cooler? I tried several "Tube and Fin" type coolers and my trans overheated 3 times and went into Limp Mode. I put the B&M Super Cooler in and no more problems. I had a Tuner that changed the shift points and Torque Management on the trans. Drove like crap. After a while, I had the PCM reflashed back to stock and now car drives better and Gas Mileage is better.

Last edited by highgear; 09-07-2010 at 01:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-23-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

You should not need a Tune for that low of a stall. Your "Limp Mode" is caused by excessive heat. Do you have a trans cooler? I tried several "Tube and Fin" type coolers and my trans overheated 3 times and went into Limp Mode. I put the B&M Super Cooler in and no more problems. I had a Tuner that changed the shift points and Torque Management on the trans. Drove like crap. After a while, I had the PCM reflashed back to stock and not car drives better and Gas Mileage is better.
Im not having issues with "Limp Mode" caused by excessive heat. Im running the biggest Super Cooler B&M makes. Im having issues with my converter slipping at lockup under a load. I was running the 4C, now im running a 2B and both acted the same way so its not the converter. Something in the vb probably...
Old 09-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Restricted User

Im not having issues with "Limp Mode" caused by excessive heat. Im running the biggest Super Cooler B&M makes. Im having issues with my converter slipping at lockup under a load. I was running the 4C, now im running a 2B and both acted the same way so its not the converter. Something in the vb probably...
Have you checked your tranny fluid to see how hot its getting? I know if it gets anywhere over 240 degrees it will go into "limp mode" and only let you have the 2 gears..
Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z99ls1
Have you checked your tranny fluid to see how hot its getting? I know if it gets anywhere over 240 degrees it will go into "limp mode" and only let you have the 2 gears..
My trans went into limp mode and threw P0757, shift solenoid stuck. Had nothing to do with heat. I had P0751 and P0757 deleted and haven't seen limp mode since. I feel like I said this already...
Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Restricted User

My trans went into limp mode and threw P0757, shift solenoid stuck. Had nothing to do with heat. I had P0751 and P0757 deleted and haven't seen limp mode since. I feel like I said this already...
Yea I just went back and read everything lol. So the problem now is basicly for some reason your converter clutch is not getting enuf fluid or not fast enuf to lock the clutch up right? or am I not getting it still? And the origanal problem was solved by getting the pcm to not read those codes right? J/W cuz I wana get a stall, so I want to know what to look for if something like this would happen.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z99ls1
Yea I just went back and read everything lol. So the problem now is basicly for some reason your converter clutch is not getting enuf fluid or not fast enuf to lock the clutch up right? or am I not getting it still? And the origanal problem was solved by getting the pcm to not read those codes right? J/W cuz I wana get a stall, so I want to know what to look for if something like this would happen.
Yea its turned into a long post. Basically after the converter install it was going into limp mode (tune related) and slipping while locked. The converter locks fine, it actually feels like another shift when it locks. When its locked and I barely accelerate, not even close to enough throttle for the converter to unlock, my rpms rise slightly. This is the slip Im referring to.

I had the tune fixed, haven't had limp mode since. I pulled the trans and installed a second brand new Circle-D converter and still have the same slip. I finally got my pressure gauge and new tcc solenoid, gonna screw with it some this weekend since I have a 4 day. What im afraid of is if the tcc solenoid doesn't fix it, then I may be looking at something in the trans like the 3-4 clutches slipping I dont know. Im really hoping for the best here as I had no issues with the stock converter and my fluid has always been clean and red during fluids changes with only minimal debris in the pan.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I read the original post correctly; he said he had a 1800-2000 stall converter (stock like stall). I have never heard of anyone doing a "Tune" for this low of a stall. My converter works just fine on a stock tune.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

I got a mail order tune from a "well known" tuner on this site over a month ago for the converter. Also did the led mod that Frank from performabuilt coined on here. This mod has proven to be worthwhile. Wanted to get the tune for the stall before I installed it. Drove fine, lockup was a good, no issues.
If I read the original post correctly; he said he had a 1800-2000 stall converter (stock like stall). I have never heard of anyone doing a "Tune" for this low of a stall. My converter works just fine on a stock tune.
The part I have in bold is from the original post. Did you read that part? "It" refers to the Circle-D 4C converter. Originally I had a 4C, but after having issues (not converter related), and just the fact that it was way to loose for me I decided to step down to a 3000 stall. Had I not had any issues I probably would have kept the 4C, but since I pulled the tranny (again I originally thought the slipping was converter related) I wanted something smaller.

Had I known or had ANY indication that my trans had an issue I would have never swapped converters. I just figured no issues with the trans before the install, so I should not have any afterwards. I was wrong...

Last edited by Kevin01Z28; 09-07-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm just wondering, has the min TCC duty cycle been bumped up in the tune...?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by joecar
I'm just wondering, has the min TCC duty cycle been bumped up in the tune...?
Yea it has
Old 09-11-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My car developed a similar issue with slippage in 4th gear while in lockup on the highway, about 6 months after installing a very tight 2800 stall. It would run fine at first (about 10 miles or so), then if I tried to accelerate while in lockup it would slip a couple of hundred RPM. The problem got worse over time to the point where I started just driving around in 3 instead of overdrive. When it finally lost 3 and 4 altogether I had it rebuilt and everything was hunky dory for about a month or so (I drive about 2k miles a month). Then the highway slippage problem returned, barely noticeable at first but it got worse. The shop eventually found a problem with the input shaft; it was damaged, causing the trans to bleed off pressure and eventually slip. Maybe it got damaged during the converter install somehow? I don't know. It was done by me and my friends, other amateurs. Anyway, the trans shop installed a new input shaft and it's been fine ever since (over 20k miles ago). My car never threw any codes for this problem though, and no shudder.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tommyv8
My car developed a similar issue with slippage in 4th gear while in lockup on the highway, about 6 months after installing a very tight 2800 stall. It would run fine at first (about 10 miles or so), then if I tried to accelerate while in lockup it would slip a couple of hundred RPM. The problem got worse over time to the point where I started just driving around in 3 instead of overdrive. When it finally lost 3 and 4 altogether I had it rebuilt and everything was hunky dory for about a month or so (I drive about 2k miles a month). Then the highway slippage problem returned, barely noticeable at first but it got worse. The shop eventually found a problem with the input shaft; it was damaged, causing the trans to bleed off pressure and eventually slip. Maybe it got damaged during the converter install somehow? I don't know. It was done by me and my friends, other amateurs. Anyway, the trans shop installed a new input shaft and it's been fine ever since (over 20k miles ago). My car never threw any codes for this problem though, and no shudder.
Interesting. The ls1/trans combo in my car came out of my 01 Z28 which hit a telephone pole in the front of the car. It was a bad enough wreck to damage the factory k-member, and snapped the differential when the car slapped down into the ditch. When I did my swap i pulled everything from the bottom, never separating engine and trans. I initially tried to reuse the factory k-member but when I bolted everything up in my 96 the tailshaft was about an inch or more too far toward the passenger side. I ended buying a new k-member.

I was skeptical at first whether or not the trans was damaged, but after months of driving it after swap it still performed like new. When I did the converter swap I had hell, I mean it was a bitch separating the trans from the engine, mainly on the passenger side. The dow pins were stuck in the trans bellhousing when it was pulled. So maybe there was damage to the input shaft from the wreck, and just decided to show inself after the converter swap. I called Frank a couple of times and he pretty much said the only thing in the valve body that could cause my problem is the tcc solenoid since they block pwm in their trans. Gonna try to replace it tomorrow if I have time. Didn't get to it last weekend.

Quick Reply: Issues after converter install...