Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifter question for guys that have went m6 to a3

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default shifter question for guys that have went m6 to a3

How did you mount the shifter base to the floor? I was thinking about getting some sheet metal to cover the hole were the m6 shifter came through, drill a hole for the shifter cable, and make a bracket to mount the shifter to. I would really just rather buy some type of bracket i could just bolt in if there are any. I am using a hurst quarterstick with pistol grip
Old 06-11-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just bought some sheet metal and made a plate, I used a stock shifter by mounting it with some 1/2 inch spacers and a bolt through the plate...I dont think there are any plates that you can buy for mounting your shifter, gotta get creative and mount it somehow.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used sheetmetel to cover the holes then made risers out of pipe. I also used a A3 stock console.
You can see pics here.http://www.gmvsworld.com/index.php?topic=992.0
Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

cant see your pics on that site man.

Anybody else have any pictures? i need some ideas. Thinking up ways to do things like this arent exactally my strong point
Old 06-17-2010, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

Oh sorry forgot you have to be member.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

I used 1/8 alum sheet. Cut it to size, opened up the hole for the shifter cable and drilled a hole into it for the shifter to bolt down. I bent up the sheet with the help of my table vise and it actually sits in there pretty well despite the contours in the floor pan. Sealed it to the floor with some ultra copper. LOL

The rear of the shifter actually bolted up to the spot where the lower part of the center console bolts to the body.

I haven't seen anything aftermarket to address this swap, so I'd say just get to work on fabbing something up to meet your needs.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the ideas guys! sounds like you all did what i was planning on doing. I am going to take it to a friends house when i get the transmission in and he is going to fab up a filler panel and a bracket for me. He has all the necessary tools and equipment like a brake (i think thats what its called) and mig/tig welders and some scrap metal
Old 06-19-2010, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

i used a 1/4" thick piece of plate steel (complete overkill) and welded it to the trans tunnel.... its heavy duty, but made a nice flat and solid mounting surface for my b&m pro ratchet.

I had to mount the shifter on a slight angle to get the cable to come out where i wanted it to (solid engine mounts raised the trans up) but its actually pretty comfortable at the angle since you pull towards yourself a bit instead of straight back. (the angle looks alot more exaggerated in the picture)
Old 06-19-2010, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a piece off a old V6 hood and molded it to the tunnel then mounted the shifter to it

Quick Reply: shifter question for guys that have went m6 to a3