Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission acting wierd occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission acting wierd occasionally

I have a full bolt on, cammed, stalled 01 z28. shortly after i had the stall and cam installed my transmission went out. i had it rebuilt with an rpm stage iv rebuild. the car has been running great, and shifts great. but sometimes when i first start the car for the day and if i dont happen to let it warm up sufficiently, like 5 minutes, then the car seems to start in second, and doesnt shift to fourth. it will continue to miss first and fourth until i turn it off and then restart it. after that it runs perfect and never misses a shift. if i let the car warm up plenty in the morning this is never a problem. So my question is, is this normal, or is something wrong?? again, if i let the car warm up for atleast 5 minutes or so this is never a problem. but if i try to drive right away it runs like this. maybe a shift solenoid problem? Im pretty ignorant when it comes to transmission problems
Old 06-27-2010, 08:35 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally would contact the folks at RPM. A post here is just going to have you chasing your tail! I would guess that something is sticking in the valve body. Next time you do this drop the shifter to low and then place it back in drive before you try to move the car! If something is sticking in the valve body this might clear it up. Keep in mind this is just a theory. Have you by chance scanned the computer to look for codes or looked at live transmission data to see what gear is actually being commanded? Vince
Old 06-27-2010, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Yea Im going to give them a call tmrw. And I'll definitely be sure to try that! But yes I actually did have it scanned at autozone lol. They gave me the codes and I looked them up and it said something about transmission malfunction or something. This was when I first got the cAr back from having the work done and all of a sudden my ses lift came on so I wanted to see what was going on. The car was running perfect though, and I was being extra sure to let it wArm up for a good bit of time, so I never had the problem. I was told that the thrown code was just from the transmission rebuild and not to worry about it.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:15 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on the codes it might be causing your issues. You might need some tunning to correct this problem. It would be best if you had the codes to help RPM further diagnose this for you. Vince
Old 06-27-2010, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

AHh thanks so much for the quick help man..
Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

I've been in contact with rpm, the car will be going up there next week. The problem seems to be happening more often now. Anybody else have similar problems? Surely the tranny isn't going out again already?!? It's only been in for like 5k miles and hasn't been to the track or abused on the street! I'm hoping it's something simple! Or is that unlikely? Lol
Old 07-11-2010, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

anybody have any idea? just trying to get an idea of what it could be before i head up there. it used to be that if it was running right, it ran right until i shut the car off and let it sit for a while, and then sometimes when i started it again it wouldnt have first or fourth. but now sometimes it will run fine, and then about 30 minutes later it wont shift again. when it wont shift in to first or fourth it still will go to first when i manually put it in first, but when i shift it back to drive it goes back to only shifting between 2nd and 3rd.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Solenoid issue maybe? Otherwise I'm scratching my head...
Old 07-11-2010, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

I know it's wierd. I was told by a local mechanic that it sounded like a solenoid issue. Does that sound possible though?
Old 07-11-2010, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

This is happening to my car right now. At first I thought it would never go into 1st, then I read this thread and now it goes into first usually. I also think it's a solenoid problem I'm getting my checked at the dealership tomorrow and will let you know.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Thanks man. Let me know what you find out!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

So I went to the dealership my buddy there told me that the only thing that could be linked to 1st and 4th going out together is the 1-2 shift solenoid which is energized for 1st off for 2nd and 3rd then on again for 4th.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Ahh nice!! Thanks man!
Old 07-15-2010, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Replaced the 1-2 shift solenoid. Everythings perfect now. I got overdrive and 1st every time!!