Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No threads about Stall=drivetrain damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No threads about Stall=drivetrain damage

I'm going to be putting a Strange 12 Bolt complete axle assembly and an aluminum ds in my car shortly. I'm considering putting a stall in the car as long as its in the shop. But out of all the threads I've been reading about stalls, I never have read of anyone having problems with drivetrain components failing after installation of a stall. Surely there is someone who has went thru way more tranny mounts, U-joints, ds's, trannies etc. because of the extra shock to the drivetrain. I'm not worried about extra heat, because of tranny cooler, more worried about damage to other parts. Am I right to be concerned, or not? The reason i say this is, the car is a DD, and has been extremely reliable during the three years I've had it.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

From what I understand about a "converter" is the higher the stall, the easier it is on your drive train. IMO the only reason a "stall" (LOL) would damage anything is A; improper installation, B; You put it in for a reason. You will be abusing your car more so in reality, you will break stuff more often.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Appreciate the info about the "converter". Sorry man, never had one, thats why i was asking. Don't know the correct terminology. No need to be a dick about it.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by texas99Z28
Surely there is someone who has went thru way more tranny mounts, U-joints, ds's, trannies etc. because of the extra shock to the drivetrain.
Sounds like you're talking about shift kits. Improperly set up shift kits, raised line pressure, etc.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Converters put more force on yout drivetrain and tranny. But it is a soft hit of power which doesn't destroy parts like the shock of a clutch.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most performance converters up the torque multiplication
big time, and they move it up to where the motor is making
more torque. So you can easily see more than 50%
increase in driveline torque. Add a higher gear ratio and
sticky tires, and you can twist off an axle. Get into
wheel hop and you'll get even more torque peak as
the converter flash-multiplies against a relatively
unchanging engine RPM.

But there's no point in blaming the converter for doing
its job. On the other hand, not wanting to break stuff
is one reason I went with an unusually low (for a
performance converter) STR.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Launching!

I guess, basically what I'm asking is, how much higher is the frequency of ruining u-joints, trannies, and drive shafts after an upgrade to converter compared to a stock converter? I am thinking about a 3200 to 3500 stall converter. If i do change to a higher stall converter, will I be replacing u-joints every month, and my tranny will be destroyed in 6 months? Because if so, I am not willing to upgrade my converter as, my car is a DD.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

I guess, basically what I'm asking is, how much higher is the frequency of ruining u-joints, trannies, and drive shafts after an upgrade to converter compared to a stock converter? I am thinking about a 3200 to 3500 stall converter. If i do change to a higher stall converter, will I be replacing u-joints every month, and my tranny will be destroyed in 6 months? Because if so, I am not willing to upgrade my converter as, my car is a DD.
I think you are worrying a little too much. Many, many people run aftermarket convertors without any trouble. Get a big fluid cooler, make sure it is installed correctly and you shouldbe fine.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Because if so, I am not willing to upgrade my converter as, my car is a DD.
Seriously, don't mod your car. Your auto tranny is likely the most fragile thing in your drivetrain. A high stall/aggressive converter can destroy it. If its not worth the risks then don't do it. I can accept that at anytime or anywhere my tranny can take a ****. No hard feelings, and no big deal. It's an accepted risk.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:05 AM
TECH Regular

i have a Circle D 3200 stall in my CETA had it installed january of 2009 only problem ive had with the tranny was that the shop (ARD) that did the install didnt install the tranny cooler and retune the shift points, so that cost me 3-4 gears after not even a full day of driving around. but now everything is fine. tune needs some fine tuning. BTW i get around 22MPGs and it was my DD