Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start after new tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No start after new tranny install

Got myself a new lvl 2 performabuilt tranny. everything is in. But the car doesnt start. This is my first time dealing with trannys. I need some ideas on where to start. I think i got the shifter cable adjusted right. but i'll charge the battery to the car but will not turnover. doesnt even try to turnover. Any ideas i can look at when i get back into the shop tomorrow? Thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

sounds like a nuetral safety switch problem, id check that cable adjustment again and see if maybe you left any connectors undone or a bad connection somewhere. if you have all your dash lights and power to the rest of the car but it will not try to crank id say thats certainly the problem.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Did you take your starter completely out?? Check there first...and the bat connections...gd luck
Old 12-02-2010, 07:07 AM
TECH Resident

i did take out the starter completely and i was going to check it out again make sure everything was right with it.
nuetral switch is where located in the car??
Old 12-02-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 00 Freak
i did take out the starter completely and i was going to check it out again make sure everything was right with it.
nuetral switch is where located in the car??
Did you get into the console & the shifter at all?
I believe the switch is on the shifter.
See if you can push or pull on the shifter in different positions & turn the key to see if that will make it turn over in any position.
Turn the key to start when the shifter is in nuetral also.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Did you get into the console & the shifter at all?
I believe the switch is on the shifter.
See if you can push or pull on the shifter in different positions & turn the key to see if that will make it turn over in any position.
Turn the key to start when the shifter is in nuetral also.
No i havent but i will remove the console and check out that switch. I will most definately do that today.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:45 PM
9 Second Club

Is the linkage in the right place. Double check to make sure Park is in park. Do you have any power at all. When you bolted the tranny up could you spin the stall before you bolted the stall to the flex plate?
Old 12-04-2010, 05:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dnkynrbk
Is the linkage in the right place. Double check to make sure Park is in park. Do you have any power at all. When you bolted the tranny up could you spin the stall before you bolted the stall to the flex plate?
Well Finally got the car to start. I was messing around with the starter and the linkage and i dunno which was which but the car started YAY!!. But the Park is not in Park so i need to adjust it a lil more. If park is in the nuetral area do i need to loosen it up or tighten more??
Old 12-04-2010, 06:40 AM

Its not a matter of tighten or loosen. Its a matter of making the cable longer or shorter. In your case I think that the cable needs to be longer or loosen as you have said. So you will have to make your adjustment accordingly. Are you sure that the linkage arm is not bolted to the linkage shaft backwards? The reason I say this is after doing the RnR it seems that you are pretty far off. Normally small adjustments are needed. Vince B

Last edited by Vince B; 12-04-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vince B
Its not a matter of tighten or loosen. Its a matter of making the cable longer or shorter. In your case I think that the cable needs to be longer or loosen as you have said. So you will have to make your adjustment accordingly. Are you sure that the linkage arm is not bolted to the linkage shaft backwards? The reason I say this is after doing the RnR it seems that you are pretty far off. Normally small adjustments are needed. Vince B
Well adjusted some more and its perfect!!! the only prob i noticed. When i floor it the 3-4 shift misses???
Old 12-04-2010, 05:49 PM

When you say misses do you mean you are hitting the rev limiter? That sounds like you might need to do some tuning for this. How is 4th gear if you are not at WOT?
Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 AM
TECH Resident

it doesnt shift. But i was thinking the same that it might need sum tuning. but i dunno how imma do that out here in italy
Old 12-05-2010, 03:22 PM

So from what you are saying you do not have 4th gear no matter what? If this is the case you need to see if you have any codes that might inhibit 4th gear. Also another thing to look at is to get a scanner on your vehicle to see if the command for 4th gear is present. Being that you are where you are I understand this could be difficult. Vince
Old 12-05-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vince B
So from what you are saying you do not have 4th gear no matter what? If this is the case you need to see if you have any codes that might inhibit 4th gear. Also another thing to look at is to get a scanner on your vehicle to see if the command for 4th gear is present. Being that you are where you are I understand this could be difficult. Vince
well i drove around more in my car and try to duplicate what happened and nothing happened. But definately need to get a scanner.