Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 to Auto Conversion wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 03:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default M6 to Auto Conversion wiring questions

Hi, I'm getting ready to buy a TCI 6x and using an outlaw shifter..and had a few wiring questions

This is going in a 2001 v8 Fbody

I guess you could treat it like somebody who is putting in a th400 or other valve body style Auto because the TCI has its own controller and does not use the PCM to shift

I'm mostly curios of what I need to get to make this work properly with my M6 harness.
the main questions are...
1) where do I wire in to tell the PCM when I am in Park/Neutral or in Gear
2) can anybody tell me what things I need to wire up to still retain cruise control. I saw something somewhere once that told me I would lose it unless I did something.
3) and I need to know what wires for Backup lights and park/neutral safety switch for start-up..or do I just take the clutch switch and wire it to the Shifter..

also if theres any other wiring info that may be useful to me, please let me know.

I am keeping the M6 harness unless there is absolutely something I need from an A4 harness that I cant wire into the PCM or other places in the car myself.

Last edited by soundengineer; 12-22-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the same boat on the wiring.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

1. The switch on the shifter. I'm guessing you need to run the 'in gear' signal to the VCM.
2. The VSS. And take the jumper off the clutch pedal switch, the plug that went to it will then plug right into the A4 pedal switch. When you reflash to an A4 tune the pinouts that control these circuits change.
3. Back up lights are plugged right into the side of the M6, splice them to the shifter switch (light green and brown).
Neutral safety for an M6 is on the floor under the clutch pedal (switch on right), take the wires off that and run it to the shifter switch (on left).

It doesn't matter if you use a factory shifter and switch as pictured, or aftermarket. Enough switches usually come with the aftermarket shifters.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:04 PM
8 Second Club

#1) be more specific.... guessing doesnt cut it... I'm looking for a specific wire and where to ruin it to(what pin on what connector?)
#2) cant make sense of what you are trying to say
I'm not going to have any Fbody a4 electronics in the car... all I'm doing is pulling the pedals and using existing wires...I will add wires if they need to go from the shifter to the pcm or other places...
but dont think of this as a standard f-body swap... think of it like a full manual valve body automatic going in an fbody that used to be an M6.

#3) the only part I dont understand is what you are trying to tell me to wire to on a factory piece that I dont have...and wont have..
I need specifics.. x-color wire from piece#1 to pin-y on shifter?
meaning is it white/yellow/pink... and where on the shifter does it go to..P/N on the shifter?
Old 12-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by soundengineer
#1) be more specific.... guessing doesnt cut it... I'm looking for a specific wire and where to ruin it to(what pin on what connector?)
#2) cant make sense of what you are trying to say
I'm not going to have any Fbody a4 electronics in the car... all I'm doing is pulling the pedals and using existing wires...I will add wires if they need to go from the shifter to the pcm or other places...
but dont think of this as a standard f-body swap... think of it like a full manual valve body automatic going in an fbody that used to be an M6.

#3) the only part I dont understand is what you are trying to tell me to wire to on a factory piece that I dont have...and wont have..
I need specifics.. x-color wire from piece#1 to pin-y on shifter?
meaning is it white/yellow/pink... and where on the shifter does it go to..P/N on the shifter?
Look, when I did my swap I looked at wiring diagrams to figure out what pins went where, what I had and what I needed to add.

2. To get cruise control to work you need the vss connected, you have that wire, it's plugged into your M6.
PLUS on the pedals if you remove the M6 assembly with it's switches and install an A4 pedal assembly with it's switches you will notice that the M6 uses one extra switch, the clutch pedal anticipation switch. Unplug that and you'll notice you have a switch on the A4 assembly that this wire plugs right into. So you do have that one.

3. Aftermarket shifters usually come with two sets of micro switches.
One for reverse (closes only in reverse) this switch gets the wires that are plugged into the passenger side of the M6, which should be light green and brown. Reverse light switch.

The aftermarket shifter has another micro switch for neutral safety (closes in Park and Neutral). You take the wires off the clutch pedal floor switch (right one in the picture) Purple with white stripe and Dark green, that goes to the neutral safety switch.

You could go swim though the conversion threads in both manual and auto trans forums, both different content. The answers are all there too.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:11 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Look, when I did my swap I looked at wiring diagrams to figure out what pins went where, what I had and what I needed to add.

2. To get cruise control to work you need the vss connected, you have that wire, it's plugged into your M6.
PLUS on the pedals if you remove the M6 assembly with it's switches and install an A4 pedal assembly with it's switches you will notice that the M6 uses one extra switch, the clutch pedal anticipation switch. Unplug that and you'll notice you have a switch on the A4 assembly that this wire plugs right into. So you do have that one.

3. Aftermarket shifters usually come with two sets of micro switches.
One for reverse (closes only in reverse) this switch gets the wires that are plugged into the passenger side of the M6, which should be light green and brown. Reverse light switch.

The aftermarket shifter has another micro switch for neutral safety (closes in Park and Neutral). You take the wires off the clutch pedal floor switch (right one in the picture) Purple with white stripe and Dark green, that goes to the neutral safety switch.

You could go swim though the conversion threads in both manual and auto trans forums, both different content. The answers are all there too.

thats more of what I was looking for... so I should look for an A4 pedal assembly to put in and then for the most part its plug and play with the exception of the few wires I need to move(reverse and Neutral safety
Old 12-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Banned

M6 car:
Wheres the neutral safety switch? (notice the purple and green wires just like the A4 switch)
Run these to your new shifter.

Where is my M6 reverse light switch?
It's on the side of the transmission, much further forward than a vss would be. Plus as an added bonus before you start the swap you can jump these and watch your reverse lights come on.
Run these to your new shifter.

Where is my VSS?
It's always the plug closest the rear of the trans.
Connect this to your new trans, and program the VCM for a 40 tooth reluctor wheel.

Pedal switches:
On the right is an M6 set up and the left is the A4 set up, minus one switch.
Look at the plugs with the dark pink and brown wires. The M6 set up goes to a bunch of ****, the A4 just goes to one switch and plugs right back into an existing plug in an M6 car. All this is a matter of unplugging the M6 stuff and plugging the A4 stuff in.

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 01-30-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Banned

Heres one more. The P/N reference for the VCM is the purple w/white wire.
I never took notes on what does what when you reflash (rewrite entire) between A4 and M6, but either direction I know wires take different functions afterwards. For example the purple w/white wire may only be a neutral safety with an M6 VCM, but with an A4 VCM it may also reference P/N and in gear for the various A4 tables that need it.

Another example is the reverse lockout when going from A4 to M6, the pin is dead until the VCM is rewritten for an M6. I know that for a fact.

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 01-30-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:00 PM
8 Second Club

the VSS for the TCI 6x is actually built into the trans controller..and you take an output signal...
Just need to know how many VSS pulses per mile to send to the PCM...and thats all in the tune, so thats no biggie for me
Fbody is looking for 4000/mile, so I just set the TCI controller to that value...easy-peasy

I'm still not clear on what else besides VSS I need to keep my Cruise control...
I know that the switch on the clutch is what is used for neutral safety/park, so when I put it in gear... the circuit is opened back up and cruise works as normal as long as I have vss? is that the right understanding

what do the other switches in the pedal assembly do that obviously isnt needed in the a4 switch assembly
Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Banned

The switch with the red and brown wires going to it on the far left is what disengages cruise control.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my swap I took the switchs from the 6 speed pedals and placed them in the same spots on the auto pedal assembly. Is this the correct way or am I wrong? Now that I know what to do with the wires from the nuetral safety switch, what do I do for my back up lights? I am using a a4 engine/trans harness. Do I need to run wires to the plug thats inside the car that plugs to the powertrain harness?

Quick Reply: M6 to Auto Conversion wiring questions