Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLT Lvl 5, no gears, good pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default FLT Lvl 5, no gears, good pressure

The car has a fairly fresh (7000 mile) FLT level V 4L60E trans, with whatever converter FLT supplied w it (black, non billet case)

For the past month or so it has has a shutter on acceleration until converter lockup which cleared up at that point.

Now it has park and thats it. All gears produce no motion forward or reverse.
The pump has pressure. The shifter linkage is working fine ad in synch with the detents on the trans.

Methinks internal converter failure... opinions?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the converter.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah if you dont have any forward motion or reverse in any range then yes most likley the converter is bad at minimum.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:30 AM

First off even though I'm no longer with FLT we stopped selling converters a long time ago and never sold black converters. There are a couple of sponsors here that sell black converters and I would have to see a picture of what you have to even tell what it was. Are sure it is a FLT unit? Look on the top/rear of the trans and verify if it has stampings that say FLT on it. Or if you have the original customers name maybe FLT can look it up for you.

With a no movement condition yes a converter is a possibility. There is also a chance that you have a broken hard part in the unit that will cause a no movement condition. If you had the TCC engaged while shifting it is possible that you might have a broken shaft or depending on how the unit was treated this is a possibility as well. Either way it needs to come out and be addressed. This will include the trans and the converter. Vince
Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend calling us today with your information so we can verify it's our unit, and also find out what converter you have?

Thanks,
Chuck Johnson
Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

We bought it direct from FLT and the converter was definately supplied with it. I could have swore it was black in color but not sure.. It's been over a year since the install. In the name of less down time I was going to change the fluid and try a new converter , but may send it back to FLT depending on what they think when I talk to them.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Whistler
We bought it direct from FLT and the converter was definately supplied with it. I could have swore it was black in color but not sure.. It's been over a year since the install. In the name of less down time I was going to change the fluid and try a new converter , but may send it back to FLT depending on what they think when I talk to them.
Not a expert but if I where in your situation the very first thing I would do is drop the pan and take a look at bottom of the pan and filter before thinking about the next step. That could answer all your questions.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Flt is top notch, they will take care of you for sure!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

FLT seems eager to help out with it, I'm not thrilled about the downtime but hate doing things twice so were gonna ship both the trans and converter back to them. Records show the converter is a Precision.. Black.. Pink... ? Easy to confuse
Old 02-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Finally got this out and on it's way back to finish line. I'm curious to see what's broken.. My bet is on the converter but when I let a little of the fluid out to keep a potential deluge of oil from opening up in transit there was glitter in it.