Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new stall with dr's but car feels slower.whats up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
O Jesus, you missed the two huge pissing match threads about revmax. It was quite entertaining

Lets compare apples to apples. I understand you are arguing for PTC at a $500 price. However, Yank has a converter or less then this ($400 range I believe). The ONLY reason for Yank and Circle Ds $700 price is the billet front. That cost money to make and thats where the price difference is. They are buying something for their extra $200. Lets not pretend these are honest to goodness identical converters with $200 price difference. Is the billet front needed on a street car? Thats up for interpretation. I personally have owned both and I will be staying with a billet converter bc its my preference.
I did.

Fair enough, I will retract that. I will say though that from my experience and research ptc converters cut a quicker sixty on average than yank converters.

Ptc, like most, offer a wide variety of choices. They have converters in the 1000+$ range. But for what most people on here need their 450$ converter is more than enough and is why I recommend it.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Is the billet front needed on a street car? Thats up for interpretation. I personally have owned both and I will be staying with a billet converter bc its my preference.
You're going from a 12" converter to 9.5" one with a corresponding reduction in clutch surface area. A billet front cover is not only stronger, but the manufacturer designs it for maximum clutch surface area. If you're daily driving and locking up and unlocking all day long, or even worse, locking at WOT at the track, a billet cover will serve you best.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

^^^I agree, i mean it makes perfect sense. However, there are those "experts" who claim a 9.5 narrow band clutch surface is plenty adequate. I personally find it more comforting to listen to my own common sense and not some internet expert, particularily one that is trying to sell you something. I have heard nothing but good things from PTC, and converter makers like Neal Chance as well. A converter simply cutting slightly better 60fts is not everything a converter does. And furthermore, I say a PTC or NC converter is more race oriented. Therefor, it will go into a more race oriented car, hence the constant better avg. 60ft times. Yanks, Circle Ds around here 99.9% of the time go in a street car. Does this effect "satistics"? Absolutely. Take what you read on this forum with a grain of salt gentlemen. Get all sides of the story before you are "sold" on one converter or another.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be different and say FTI, paid $695 shipped and the shipping was retarded quick. It works like a charm
Old 01-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by garygnu
have you modified your trans ?whats your line pressuer?whats your trap speed?what were and are your 60 fts?
yes trans has ben modified.its got 5 gear planetaries hardened sunshell,vacuum modulated,and transgo shift kit.i dont have any track times yet with this revmax convertor.but like i said im gonna have to rebuild tranny and when i do,im gonna get it tuned because im buyin a new yank.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Leeroyws6
yes trans has ben modified.its got 5 gear planetaries hardened sunshell,vacuum modulated,and transgo shift kit.i dont have any track times yet with this revmax convertor.but like i said im gonna have to rebuild tranny and when i do,im gonna get it tuned because im buyin a new yank.
You can just buy a Performabuilt tranny and converter combo!!! I have a stock tranny with a 3400-3600 Performabuilt stall in it, and it went from 1.97 60ft. to a personal best of 1.54 60ft. with consistent 1.56-1.58 60ft. now thats a converter that works!!! My car only makes 322rwhp and pulls the wheels about 6 inches high, with absolutely no engine modsstock internals)!! race weight is 3620 with me in it! i weigh 216!! my time went from 8.11@87.16 to 7.60@88.93!! it only ran 8.30's in cold weather to 8.50's in the Tn. heat before the 3:73's!! i hope this info helps!!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quick Sh0t xMLx
I'll be different and say FTI, paid $695 shipped and the shipping was retarded quick. It works like a charm
same here! FTI!
Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a revmaxx 3600 and it did slow my car down 2 mph in the 1/8 mile,but I picked up 4 /10's I went from a 8.2 at 90 mph to a 7.8 at 88 mph I hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Restricted User

Looks like revmax efficiency sucks.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Leeroyws6

So your complaining that your car feels slower but you still need to rebuild the tranny?? What I have learned is that a converter totally changed the car. You say that it shoots the rpms up faster from a dig but feels slower from a roll? You havent had it tuned yet as well? Why tune your car with a Yank but not a Revmax?? Dont you have to match your converter to your camshaft? If you have a huge cam in it then wouldnt a converter bigger then a 3200 be a better choice? The only way you will tell is if you go to the track and run it..

My car feels different and it runs differently with it.
I have the same converter as you but I have a stock LT1. My best pass with it so far is a 13.34@101mph. with a 1.8 60' on street tires. I am really impressed as the revmax converter is my only aftermarket part..

Last edited by 1998silverbird; 05-03-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

who is this revmaxx company? never heard of them. IMHO, PTC does make a great converter, and reasonably priced. BUT, I got mine from FTI, and after the service from Greg, and getting exactly, and I mean exactly what he told me it would be, im stuck on FTI for ever. That converter is just plain and simple a beast.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01FbTaWs6
who is this revmaxx company? never heard of them. IMHO, PTC does make a great converter, and reasonably priced. BUT, I got mine from FTI, and after the service from Greg, and getting exactly, and I mean exactly what he told me it would be, im stuck on FTI for ever. That converter is just plain and simple a beast.

I got mine on Ebay.. They are really big in the Diesel truck world..

Quick Reply: new stall with dr's but car feels slower.whats up?