Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Cooler Types and Locations!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Cooler Types and Locations!

Hey guys i am installing a built TH350 in my camaro after i completely shelled my 4l60e with my stall lol So now im thinking i should install a tranny cooler & Temp Gauge, i leaning towards mounting it in the bumper kinda where a front grille would sit if i had one I was hoping someone had some pictures of something like this done and maybe what kind of cooler you had and whatnot... I was thinking i would just buy a small 6"x12" cooler for both sides and plug the lines in and call it good but something is telling me there is more to it than that... Also where/how would i mount a temp sensor and gauge? I NEED MOAR PICS! So im hoping someone can help me here before i blow up another tranny... Its beginning to be expensive lol
Old 02-26-2011, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

due to space issues, I installed mine behind the air dam on the the pass side and just cut that part of the air dam off(all it was doing was pushing air up into the bumper..?) but i kept the cut out just incase it had an ill effect. As far as the temp unit, youll just need to install the sensor in the side of the trans pan. I know a few aftermarket pans come with a bung welded in already
Old 02-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Launching!

I have an aftermarket "Cooler pan" With the runners in the bottom of it but i just dont trust that would be enough lol I talked to a friend of mine at the performance shop i get my parts from, he said he could hook me up with a cooler, an in line gauge (Saving me from mounting one inside my car) and possibly help me figure out where to install it and how? All for under $100! Im gonna be doing this probably within the month of march but i just wanna make sure im not getting into something that i dont know anything about... Im not really that great with transmissions lol
Old 02-26-2011, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Idk what an in line gauge is....If its not in the car, it seems to be pointless since you cant monitor it. unless you mean the Temp sending unit is in the cooler line, I heard thats not as acurate as in the pan. As long as you have a cooler and deep fluid pan, you should be fine
Old 02-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Launching!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:1,s:0 <--- Thats what we are looking at. It will do me fine until i actually put my pillar in so i can have my wideband and temp gauge and oil temp there. Im going to be making a **** ton of dyno pulls so i will be able to check it then with less air flow than usual so if its good on the dyno then it should be good on the road where im getting some wind blowing...

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/_DSC2597.JPG I have a pan similar to this one, a bit deeper, and have those coolers in it, so that plus a trans cooler externally i think i should be down to about 180* i hope... Then i shouldnt have to worry about tearing it up so quickly...
Old 02-26-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 4l60e, im running a tube and fin cooler (about 8"x18") mounted to the front of my radiator (no A/C). I dont have a temp guage yet, but ive never had a heat related problem with a 4k stall and built trans.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Launching!

See thats what im looking to do except i dont want to mount in directly to my radiator, im more looking to mount it closer to the front sort of like an intercooler type mount setup? Does that make sense? I leaning towards buying a pillar for some gauges now instead of that in line one though... Time to start shopping again...
Old 02-26-2011, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

Just use some metal strips, bolt it to the frame then bolt the cooler to that, won't be on the radiator then
Old 02-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Thats kinda what im thinking but i dont have my car so i cant go see how much clearance i have with the bumper off... Im hoping to have it back just as soon as my taxes come in... Im looking at autometer carbon fiber gauges and a pillar for my trans and oil temp... About $210 shipped then all i have to do is buy the hoses and wire them up and drill/tap the pans and mount the cooler... Should take me a day to finish it if i dont break anything... So its probably gonna take a week or two lol