Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e on the cheapo

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I can go much slower it seems. I wanted to be done by now but don't want to get in a rush and patch it together. If I am not feeling it I just don't work on it. Nice weather is here and its the perfect time to be driving it so that is making me want it done. Besides, I got the car back in May and have driven it maybe 50 miles. Its time to make that f1 scream and see what it will do.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with it. I just picked up a 1999 4l80e out of a 3500 1 ton 2wd truck yesterday for $83! I cannot wait to start building it and getting it in the car.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Does it require a different tranny cross memeber, or what? I have a stand alone harness, what to the wires run to, the computer plug or splice? I have 2 80e s in the floor, one for my 80 6.0 bu the other I want to put in my ss that already has a th400... not sure I want to start spending on the swap in the SS due to the "cheapo" me.... nice write up so far, good luck
Old 10-13-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BLWN1
Does it require a different tranny cross memeber, or what? I have a stand alone harness, what to the wires run to, the computer plug or splice? I have 2 80e s in the floor, one for my 80 6.0 bu the other I want to put in my ss that already has a th400... not sure I want to start spending on the swap in the SS due to the "cheapo" me.... nice write up so far, good luck
I will take some pics when I wire it, but you wire directly into the ecu. You take the 6 speed wires out of the connector. I had to
make my own crossmember, or you can buy one from bmr or yank. The most expensive part has been the converter, but I got it used so it saved some money. I hope to have a little to time to work on it this weekend and will update with progress.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whats the best year 4L80 to use on an LS1 conversion, are the bellhousing bolt paterns different from early to later model 80e's
Old 10-14-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Johnv
Whats the best year 4L80 to use on an LS1 conversion, are the bellhousing bolt paterns different from early to later model 80e's
The early and late will both work. I am using the early style which has 5 bolt holes that line up where the late has 6. Its the same as bolting a th400, th350, or powerglide to an ls motor you just dont have the bolt hole at the 12 o clock position being used. I have heard that early 4l80e's are stronger and have heard that later are stronger. I don't know who to believe so I am going to find out on my own.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What year did they change from 5 to 6 bolt ?
Old 10-14-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

They all have six bolts, the old style has the bolts in the 2 and 10 o clock position. The ls style has it in the 12 and doesn't have the bolt in the 2 o clock position. I think 99 was the first year of the newer style. I could be wrong though. The newer styles are also more pricey. Mine is out of a 95 van. I got it for 350 shipped. I don't see any problems running it with 5 bolts instead of 6.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, no different to a turbo 400 conversion i suppose.

Do both late and early bolt to the LS sump like the 4l60 and T56.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:11 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
I don't think I can go much slower it seems. I wanted to be done by now but don't want to get in a rush and patch it together. If I am not feeling it I just don't work on it. Nice weather is here and its the perfect time to be driving it so that is making me want it done. Besides, I got the car back in May and have driven it maybe 50 miles. Its time to make that f1 scream and see what it will do.
I feel that way too. I work slowly on my car and just try to plug away at it. I get in moods where I'll work on the car every day for 10 days and then not touch it for two months. All you can really do is plug away at it. I don't see how some guys on here mow through things as quickly as they do. Those sort of things amaze me.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

I scooped up a 2005 2wd 4L80E for $75 a couple of weeks ago. Supposedly pulled out of a truck because the fluid looked a little dark. Shifts perfect he said but the big boss said change it. He is a fleet service manager

I want to do a 5 series BMW with a turbo LS2 setup and this trans in the future. Daily driver.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Johnv
Yeah, no different to a turbo 400 conversion i suppose.

Do both late and early bolt to the LS sump like the 4l60 and T56.
Sump, meaning the oil pan on the motor? If thats what you mean, then no, they are open on the bottom side like a th400.

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I feel that way too. I work slowly on my car and just try to plug away at it. I get in moods where I'll work on the car every day for 10 days and then not touch it for two months. All you can really do is plug away at it. I don't see how some guys on here mow through things as quickly as they do. Those sort of things amaze me.
I have the desire to work on it, but not the time. When I was building my s10 drag truck about 9 years ago I did a complete frame off, caged, backhalf, motor, trans, paint etc. in a year and a half. Of course then I was living at home with my parents. I didn't have a kid, wife, or go to school, all I did was work, workout, work on car. I would pull a lot of late nights and work on it almost every night. Now I might be good for a couple of hours a week, if that.

Originally Posted by gnx7
I scooped up a 2005 2wd 4L80E for $75 a couple of weeks ago. Supposedly pulled out of a truck because the fluid looked a little dark. Shifts perfect he said but the big boss said change it. He is a fleet service manager

I want to do a 5 series BMW with a turbo LS2 setup and this trans in the future. Daily driver.
The 5 series is a solid car. I worked for Bmw for the last 9 years. What year 5 series? I have seen a few done on here. Its a cool swap.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

I want to do the 5 series before the CanBus crap. '03 and older. My good friend is BMW master mechanic so he can help with the wiring fiasco.

It would be nice if someone made a bolt in kit to swap in a 8.8" IRS diff and custom axles out back.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gnx7
I want to do the 5 series before the CanBus crap. '03 and older. My good friend is BMW master mechanic so he can help with the wiring fiasco.

It would be nice if someone made a bolt in kit to swap in a 8.8" IRS diff and custom axles out back.
Yeah. The older cars would be easier to do. Good luck on finding a good rear end to go in the car, that is the weak link.

I got a lot of work done today. Got the trans cooler mounted under the car, I need to order a couple of fittings to finish up the lines. The shifter linkage is done. Got the new 4 speed gate in the pro stick and figured out the linkage. It shifts through all the gears. I pulled the trans out to cut the floor brace for connector clearance. I am going to tackle the wiring next. I keep checking things off the list one by one. Pics to come, Josh
Old 10-16-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

I have the desire to work on it, but not the time. When I was building my s10 drag truck about 9 years ago I did a complete frame off, caged, backhalf, motor, trans, paint etc. in a year and a half. Of course then I was living at home with my parents. I didn't have a kid, wife, or go to school, all I did was work, workout, work on car. I would pull a lot of late nights and work on it almost every night. Now I might be good for a couple of hours a week, if that.

Exactly my friend^ I feel ya. Life will get in the way of progress.

Edit: this POS lap top is jacking up, add that to the list.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
^Exactly my friend^ I feel ya. Life will get in the way of progress.
Totally, I wouldn't change it for the world. I love the way my life is, just wish there was 27 hours in a day instead of 24. Stupid me I waited till I was 27 to start school. Then have a baby at the same time. I wish I wouldn't have chosen to go to Uti and work for Bmw out of high school and gone to real college, oh well, ya learn. Today would be a good day to get a lot done on the car, but I have to do some studying, I have a history test tomorrow night.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, harness is wired I took some pics while I did it. It was really easy to do. The trans cooler is mounted and ready to have the lines made. I still need to trim the floor brace for connector clearance then the trans is ready to go back in the car for the final install. I am also installing the sjm abs delete during all of this. Pis up tomorrow, hopefully.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Next two weekends are off. Rifle deer season opens tomorrow so not working on car for a couple of weeks. Hopefully it will be finished by the end of the year.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

what kinda of times are you guys running with used 4l80e's? also do the used ones hold up under a t-brake?
Old 11-29-2011, 06:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mightymike2000ss
what kinda of times are you guys running with used 4l80e's? also do the used ones hold up under a t-brake?
The transbrake will require internal mods, so it may as well be freshened and inspected while you are in it.

A stock 4L80E has a weak third gear clutch pack that needs to be addressed, usually a used one the third clutches will be glazed and live a short life in a performance application. Sometimes you can get lucky though.

Quick Reply: 4l80e on the cheapo